Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool v Man Utd. Sunday Sept 1st KO@ 13:30.

• 29-08-2013 5:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭

David Moyes brings the champions to Anfield in search of his first win there as a manager.

Liverpool come into the game on the back of an extra time win over Notts County that saw them lose Kolo Toure(groin), Aly Cissokho(ankle) and Joe Allen(hamstring) through injury.

The loss of Toure will be Brendan Rodgers main concern as Martin Kelly and Martin Skrtel are both returning from injury and are not yet 100% match fit, and Sebasitan Coates is out for the season(ACL). This leaves Daniel Agger and Andre Wisdom as the only fully fit centre backs that he can call upon.

Liverpool will welcome back Jordan Henderson, Phillipe Coutinho, Jose Enrique, Lucas and Iago Aspas into the first team having being rested for Tuesdays win.

Rodgers will hope that Daniel Sturridge keeps up his scoring streak having now scored 4 goals in his last three games for the reds.

Possible lineup;

Mingolet

Johnson----Wisdom----Agger----Enrique

Lucas
    Gerrard

----Henderson----Coutinho
    Aspas----

Sturridge

Coming off the back of a hard fought draw against Chelsea on Monday night, David Moyes is expected to name the same starting XI, which included a very fit and threatening Wayne Rooney.

His injury list remains the same with Nani(groin), Hernandez(hamstring), Rafael(Hamstring) and Fletcher(bowel condition) all missing indefinitely.

With the Rooney saga seemingly put to bed following his start and MOTM performance against Chelsea the subplot now turns to Shinji Kagawa's continuing omission from the first team and not even being used as a sub.

Team;

De Gea

Jones----Vidic----Ferdinand----Evra

Carrick
    Cleverley

---Valencia---Rooney---Wellbeck---

Van Persie

United come into this game as clear favourites to win, especially with Liverpool's defensive worries, but in this game you never know what could happen. Robin Van Persie will be expected to continue his excellent scoring record against the men from Merseyside.

Prediction 1-2.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

No Shinji, no hope.

No Toure, no hope... that will mean a CB partnership of Skrtel and Agger.

We're all doomed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

As much as I rate Wisdom and his potential, if he starts Sunday RvP will have a field day.

Agger is looking far too shaky so far this season as is. Wisdom alongside him makes our CB pairing a mistake just waiting to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

We'll lose this.

Expect this to get locked. Its Thursday, the game is on Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

I think Kagawa will start. His agent mentioned he had been rested due to summer commitments and had not trained enough with the 1st team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Not optimistic for Liverpool, 2 good wins will soften the blow of losing this, but so long as it is competitive and injury free I think i could get over losing, defensively we are not up to containing van persie and rooney in a mood, with a point to prove.

Err...we'll take Shinji off your hands if you can't find a spot for him !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I am pie wrote: »
    Not optimistic for Liverpool, 2 good wins will soften the blow of losing this, but so long as it is competitive and injury free I think i could get over losing, defensively we are not up to containing van persie and rooney in a mood, with a point to prove.

Err...we'll take Shinji off your hands if you can't find a spot for him !

Not looking very hopeful for LFC but keep the faith - we might somehow manage to hammer out a draw, or get a drubbing with our defensive woes... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Its always a 2-1 scoreline between us lately, will have a dabble on that for sunday so. If we dont get a centre half in by then well lose, a draw would be a good result going into the international break

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Based on my extensive knowledge I think Liverpool will win this one. Especially because it's at anfield and I think they will be very strong at home all season.

They are playing decent football which they've added to with solidity in midfield and genuine talents at the top of the pitch (sturridge and coutinho mainly).

Oh I forgot about Van Persie, him rising out of the pitch like a phoenix and volleying a few in can never be discounted no matter how bad utd are playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    No Shinji, no hope.

No Toure, no hope... that will mean a CB partnership of Skrtel and Agger.

We're all doomed!

"Would you say there's any point to having this match Nuri?"

"No, no I wouldn't Winston."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

1-2 or 1-3.

Don't expect a great game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Is this thread a way for Liverpool to try up stage the champions league draw?

Maybe just a little premature in my opinion.

Though 2-0 united.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Me neither, I would like to see liverpool holding onto possession like they've been doing in well early on this season.

1-2, 1-3? Which team do you mean to win, United?

Oranage2 wrote: »

Though 2-0 united.

Thread is bad, he said in the thread....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I always thought Ferguson showed Liverpool too much respect in this fixture a lot of the years. It will be interesting to see how Moyes sets up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

United will definitely win.

SantryRed wrote: »
    I always thought Ferguson showed Liverpool too much respect in this fixture a lot of the years. It will be interesting to see how Moyes sets up.

With the Utd crowd feeling a little vulnerable after a quiet enough window and the new manager, i would say he will go for the jugular.

Despite our good start our back 4 is there for the taking. Even the keeper who has made some excellent saves has had a few moments which would make your heart skip the odd beat.

For me, 2-1 or 3-1. Including some sort of absolutely sickening wonder goal from vp or shrek.

United will definitely win.

No.

We'll win the corner, woodwork, injury and possession count.

They'll probably win the goal count.

But 4 categories > 1, thus we get the 3 points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

I said Villa would beat Liverpool, so hopefully I'm very wrong again. United to win by 2 at least. *ducks for cover*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    No.

We'll win the corner, woodwork, injury and possession count.

They'll probably win the goal count.

But 4 categories > 1, thus we get the 3 points.

Dunno about that one. We hit it the most last season didn't we?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Don't expect a great game here. In fact, I would fancy Liverpool to have more possession and find themselves looking more dangerous, with the likes of Aspas, Sturridge and Coutinho finding space between the lines but in the end, United will create a handful of chances and will take the best of them.

Expect this to finish 0-2, with Van Persie grabbing both.

The pairing of Ferdinand and Vidic should prove too strong and experienced even for the in-form Sturridge and after that, I think the actual goal threat should be snuffed out.

As long as Mignolet doesn't have a "Brad Friedel" on us!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Well he was usually ultra-negative when he was managing Everton against Liverpool but maybe if he feels he has the edge this time he'll be happier cutting loose.

Liverpool are probably due a win in this fixture, especially given that it's at home but with the injuries and the ET last tuesday we'd be doing very well to even get a draw.

My guess is 1-1 or 1-2.

Heading to this and can't see Utd not scoring a few goals.

I'll be optimistic and say 2-2 but with our defense a shambles I'm expecting a defeat

Dunno about that one. We hit it the most last season didn't we?

Even if you did, it would still be 3-2 in favour of Liverpool :cool:

Seriously though, I'd be surprised if Liverpool aren't the back to back striking the woodwork table toppers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Though 2-0 united.

Yes it is.

FSG contacted me earlier demanding I start this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

I always thought Ferguson showed Liverpool too much respect in this fixture a lot of the years.
    Yep, inexplicably in recent times with the gulf in quality. Hope Moyes just says go out and batter them. It's always way too cagey an affair of late.

Super excited for this one... Giggity...

family-guy-021207-10.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

1307032252_atomic_bomb_mushroom_cloud_explosion.gif

I'm prepared for this thread this time around ...... Sunday 4 o clock should be fun .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

4-1 United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

4-0 United. RVP to get 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Detailed prediction:

Liverpool come flying out of the blocks with the crowd behind them and a lot of early pressure. A couple of half chances, corners and long shots are all that come from it and United weather the early storm with a solid defensive display.

United come into it a bit more halfway through the first half and have a couple of dangerous looking crosses into the box, but the Liverpool defence deal with it, while they still look dangerous going forward. 10 minutes of 'end to end'.

The half plays out quietly enough with both teams pretty content to get into the changing rooms all square.

Liverpool come out again in the 2nd half looking hungry and dominating the ball. A good chance goes a-begging in the first 10 minutes.

Suddenly United score. Effective, simple, fast wing-play accompanied by a quality finish from RVP that was lacking at the other end. 0-1

United have a good spell after the goal, but Liverpool see it out and United fail to capitalise.

Subs come on with 20 minutes left and the game opens up, but no one takes advantage.

Last 10 minutes United sit back, tight. Liverpool have lots of pressure, lots of corners, but ultimately just one or two half chances which they fluff.

The game ends 0-1 and I tear my hair out in frustration.

Lots of sniping, gloating and points-scoring on the boards.ie thread.

A couple of yellows and maybe a red (in the match and on the thread)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Simples 1-0 LFC in a tight game with few chances YNWA!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Well Moyes had a terrible record in the Merseyside derby if that's any help. Granted with less talented players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭jamaamaj

Liverpool 3 Sturridge (hat-trick)
    man u 2 van persie (2 penos)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

10-0 to Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Sturridge to reduce vidic to a gibbering wreck , giving him flashbacks to Torres making a show of him a few years back :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Hate these games, so so nervous, can never enjoy this

Would be delighted with a draw

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭CastingCouch

A nervy 6 all draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

1 team being denied a dead cert penalty while the other team goes up the other end of the field and dives to win one.

(Oh and a Kagawa hat trick followed by him burning a BVB jersey in celebration to break Nuri's heart)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Though 2-0 united.

lol loud. That post is pathetic.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

liverpool need an early goal. they offer too little going forward after 55-60 minutes. a utd 2-0 or liverpool 1-0. big game though, cant wait :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

:confused:

I thought 2 nil was a very realistic prediction

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

:confused:

I thought 2 nil was a very realistic prediction

he means the other part of the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

But worried, think United will simply be too strong for Liverpool. Think Rooney will play well for once in this fixture as he seems a man on a mission. Still question his fitness though.

Anyway, I'll think he'll open pool up once or twice, especially without Toure.II'm predicting 2-1 united

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

The fix is in.

1-0 home win.
    Wayward Gerard shot deflecting off the re-appearing Anfield cat leaving DeGea floundering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,472 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Whatever the score, Man U to win it in a jammy fashion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Laugh Out Loud Loud? Just how loud is that??

2-1 Liverpool for me. Despite all the doom merchants, we ARE playing well, and we are at home. Skrtel got most of pre-season, so his fitness should be fine. Wisdom had a bad night on Tue, so I wouldn't go for him.

But the front 3 have looked very good, mobile and in-sync. Henderson and Gerrard bring a goal threat as well from further back. I trust us to have the mettle to see this one out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

United to batter the bejesus out of them, but there will be one disputed decision for the Pool fans to cling to, which in their eyes will de-legitimise the result, as always.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Possibility Toure back for game now according toLiverpool echo - animal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

If I may be so bold as to make a suggestion to the mods, can we ban any talk of chanting that will inevitably take place?
    There will be assholes at the game, we all know this, no point in banging on about it.
    It's a sure fire way to get the thread locked when your team loses and people know that and try and take away from the result by referencing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

If I may be so bold as to make a suggestion to the mods, can we ban any talk of chanting that will inevitably take place?
    There will be assholes at the game, we all know this, no point in banging on about it.
    It's a sure fire way to get the thread locked when your team loses and people know that and try and take away from the result by referencing it.

If its brought up report it and we'll take care of it ASAP, some of those chants on either side are stupid and add nothing to the game and to be talking about on a match thread brings nothing of value to the thread, it goes for everyone, as this thread usually moves at 100mph during game day the Mods might not see everything, if you see anything report it and try not to get dragged into an argument where you might get a card, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

looking forward to it.

Liverpool getting to test their title credentials against the Champions.

• Advertisement
Advertisement