Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool v Man Utd. Sunday Sept 1st KO@ 13:30.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Supraman

Liverpool deserved it . Great to get a win against united . No matter what united fans say about bigger and better things possibly happening later in the season the fact they would have loved to have put one over on liverpool today .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

I don't post much after games as it's always a bad time. But a few points are very obvious here.

1. Fergie was able to mask a lot of deficiencies in his team by imposing his will to win on the team. It's debatable whether Moyes can do that but you just cannot say after three games. But regardless, it was a poor performance which lacked real conviction.

2. United have a habit of playing very poorly at Anfield, even if they get a good result. They always seem a bit intimidated by the occasion and today was the same.

3. Liverpool put in a half-decent performance, no more. They barely threatened in the second half and were happy to let United come at them, which on another day could have really cost them. I think they'll do better than last season but I don't believe they're anywhere near the top tier.

4. United need a world class midfield orchestrator in the style of Mata/Silva. They need to sign someone before tomorrow night.

5. You can't argue with three wins out of three so I'll say well done to Liverpool even though it kills me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

From a neutral perspective, not a great game to watch. Liverpool the better team in the first half, probably deserved their lead.

There was a period in the second half when United started to build pressure, but nothing came of it. Over the years, if you let United come at you, you paid the price, always. But Liverpool contained them pretty easily. Apart from Nani's snapshot and van Persie's chance on his right foot, they created nothing. Liverpool didn't create many chances either.

Sturridge was excellent, I thought. United's midfield was just a black hole out of which nothing emerged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭jamaamaj

Corvo wrote: »
    Don't expect a great game here. In fact, I would fancy Liverpool to have more possession and find themselves looking more dangerous, with the likes of Aspas, Sturridge and Coutinho finding space between the lines but in the end, United will create a handful of chances and will take the best of them.

Expect this to finish 0-2, with Van Persie grabbing both.

The pairing of Ferdinand and Vidic should prove too strong and experienced even for the in-form Sturridge and after that, I think the actual goal threat should be snuffed out.

As long as Mignolet doesn't have a "Brad Friedel" on us!

Liverpool 1 (Sturridge)
    Man U 0

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

I don't post much after games as it's always a bad time. But a few points are very obvious here.

1. Fergie was able to mask a lot of deficiencies in his team by imposing his will to win on the team. It's debatable whether Moyes can do that but you just cannot say after three games. But regardless, it was a poor performance which lacked real conviction.

2. United have a habit of playing very poorly at Anfield, even if they get a good result. They always seem a bit intimidated by the occasion and today was the same.

3. Liverpool put in a half-decent performance, no more. They barely threatened in the second half and were happy to let United come at them, which on another day could have really cost them. I think they'll do better than last season but I don't believe they're anywhere near the top tier.

4. United need a world class midfield orchestrator in the style of Mata/Silva. They need to sign someone before tomorrow night.

5. You can't argue with three wins out of three so I'll say well done to Liverpool even though it kills me!

You lot already have one ;)

If that quote from the Guardian journo is right, along with what Japanese press are saying, that's disgraceful.

Hard to argue with your post other than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Could Liverpool fans not just ignore the couple of idiot utd fans that were positing the same ****e during the match too?

Ah sure there are fools on both sides. After a while they are easy to recognise.

I expected more from utd second half but the ball was running Liverpools way today.

A fitting win for Liverpool today to celebrate the Shankly legacy. Well done boys. You did the man proud today.:-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

jamaamaj wrote: »
    Liverpool 1 (Sturridge)
    Man U 0

But it was Agger that caused the trouble, in case you missed that. It bouncing off Sturridge was hardly proof that he got the better if Rio and Vidic.

But don't let that stop you digging up an old quote to get some thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    You lot already have one ;)

If that quote from the Guardian journo is right, along with what Japanese press are saying, that's disgraceful.

Hard to argue with your post other than that.

I take your point although I don't think Kagawa is going to run the show, if he ever gets a feckin run at all! I think he would have to have another blue-chip midfield dynamo in there behind him. I think Kagawa can feel very aggrieved indeed at not even making the bench, he's being treated awfully right now.

But it was Agger that caused the trouble, in case you missed that. It bouncing off Sturridge was hardly proof that he got the better if Rio and Vidic.

But don't let that stop you digging up an old quote to get some thanks.

But Sturridge scored, incase you missed that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

How come I got no pm's from the utd big dogs to wish me good luck today.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭CastingCouch

niallo27 wrote: »

Got no pm from any Liverpool fans either. :P I think there's phantom messages being sent.

But Sturridge scored, incase you missed that.

<sigh>

Ye, you're right. Carry on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Because you're not the self proclaimed big dog of the Liverpool thread.

Well may I wish utd fans the best of luck in the future and their 6 year contract with Moyes.

Well may I wish utd fans the best of luck in the future and their 6 year contract with Moyes.

It's hilarious you are on about United after a win for your team.

I'm sure we'll be fine however. We usually bounce back ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Tis just gas to see a Liverpool fan having a go at United fans about their manager. You've been waiting a while for that one haven't ya.

deisedevil wrote: »
    Tis just gas to see a Liverpool fan having a go at United fans about their manager. You've been waiting a while for that one haven't ya.

Yes a long time. A long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Anyone know who got MotM?!

Anyone know who got MotM?!

Skrtel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Liverpool not allowed the banter, it seems ;)

Take it on the chin, fellas. It's how it goes.

• Advertisement

Grayditch wrote: »
    Liverpool not allowed the banter, it seems ;)

Take it on the chin, fellas. It's how it goes.

It Bantz Greyditch, innit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

It Bantz Greyditch, innit.

Proper merced, you bumders.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

both teams looked very flat in attack. as i said earlier, i knew if liverpool could get an early goal they could go and win it. very impressed at the 3 clean sheets for them too.
    difficult game for utd. they look pretty ordinary if you get tight on them as liverpool did. ashley young is a waste of time though, not impressive at all. game could have gone either way tbh, utd looked a hell of a lot better than liverpool in the 2nd half but lacked anything that could really kill the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

United didn't deserve to lose that, they didn't deserve to win it either in fairness. But the referee had a shocker, some very poor decisions, most of those for Liverpool sadly for United.

I could see how the game was going as soon as Liverpool scored the goal, and it all came from Ashley Young fannying about with the ball 20 yards away from goal. Typical stuff from Liverpool anyway, attempted to play possession and slowing down the game, playing defensively, time-wasting all of that. It won them the game so why should they fret about their style of play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Terrible game but a great win for Liverpool. It's especially nice beating one of rivals for the 3rd and 4th spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Nailz wrote: »
    United didn't deserve to lose that, they didn't deserve to win it either in fairness. But the referee had a shocker, some very poor decisions, most of those for Liverpool sadly for United.

I could see how the game was going as soon as Liverpool scored the goal, and it all came from Ashley Young fannying about with the ball 20 yards away from goal. Typical stuff from Liverpool anyway, attempted to play possession and slowing down the game, playing defensively, time-wasting all of that. It won them the game so why should they fret about their style of play.

You sound like David Moyes.

A spoofer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Terrible game but a great win for Liverpool. It's especially nice beating one of rivals for the 3rd and 4th spot.

Fishing%252BGif%252BFunny%252BAnimated%252BMM.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Neither United or Liverpool are 3rd or 4th rivals and haven't been for quite some time now. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

both teams shíte.

one team switched off once, the other didn't.

there really wasn't an awful lot more to the game.

de-fúcking-lighted though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

deisedevil wrote: »
    Neither United or Liverpool are 3rd or 4th rivals and haven't been for quite some time now. ;)

They are this year. Moyes is a certainly the man who'll drag the club nicely to a tough 4th place battle. Liverpool are certainly outsiders but definitely in with a shout.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭CastingCouch

They are this year. Moyes is a certainly the man who'll drag the club nicely to a tough 4th place battle. Liverpool are certainly outsiders but definitely in with a shout.

lol

Nailz wrote: »

It was utd slowing down the game in fairness. They made it easy for liverpool. Liverpool were missing their top goalscorer as well what do you expect from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

9 points on the board with our best player to come back into the team. Wasn't an amazing performance but in all honesty i think we just went out and played as instructed. We got the early goal and then sat back just like Chelsea did and asked United to open us which they couldn't do. I wonder if we'll see that more this season when teams come up against them.

Fergie, the amazing manager he was, had cultivated such an aura of invincibility around that club. The question is has that slipped already. Far too early to tell obviously but the odd worrying sign is still there.

Jamie Carragher when asked 'Have you any regrets about no longer playing'
    'I regret there's no monday night football tomorrow with Gary Neville'
    'You lucky boy' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭peterswellman

Jamie Carragher when asked 'Have you any regrets about no longer playing'
    'I regret there's no monday night football tomorrow with Gary Neville'
    'You lucky boy' :D

How long did it take to get that translated after it exited his mouth?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

That's another 'cup final' in the bag

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,122 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Delighted with the win, first and foremost. Was impressed with improvement and discipline ( compared to first half) Utd shown after the break. I like Moyes and think he'll do a great job when he beds in. Can't be easy following AF, but think Moyes is well fit to.

Liverpool fan btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,659 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

MU need a new defender and midfielder and why the hell was Ryan Giggs starting :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

monkey9 wrote: »
    Yeah and that'll probably still be above your lot. Moyes in.

DO you want to put money on that?

• Advertisement

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    DO you want to put money on that?

I betcha any bookie will take your bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

I betcha any bookie will take your bet.

They won't. I was simply offering another poster who gambles a bet to see if they actually believe what they post or are full of crap. Id suspect the latter but we'll see

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

betting with people on a largely anonymous forum based on their football opinions? this actually happens?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

BMMachine wrote: »
    betting with people on a largely anonymous forum based on their football opinions? this actually happens?

When you don't want to talk about the result, ya!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

BMMachine wrote: »

I bet that this bet does happen. €1 Million to be paid in 1 million €1 weekly installments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

klose wrote: »
    Christ I hate that daily star ad with pat fecking dolan. Go away

haha i remember he came to a Dundalk V Drog game about 4 or 5 years ago.. and stood at the wall behind the goal.. there were a few wee lads with rockets and they broke the sticks, lit the fuse, and the rocket meandered into the air and missed his face by a foot and hit the wall. He done a runner into the stands.. classic!

ebbsy wrote: »
    You sound like David Moyes.

A spoofer.
    Yeah, you don't share my point of view therefore you're an idiot. :pac:

Anyway, Ashley Young was so uninspirering today, Nani was very promising when he came on, very rusty but his ability was evident all the same. Wasn't enough to pull United out of the fire though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

United fans would see more of him and know more about him but as someone who doesn't watch them every week, Ashley Young doesn't really appear to have kicked on from the promise he showed when he first joined.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

I said it when it happened and will reiterate again, Moyes joining Utd was a win, win for Liverpool, it signals the demise of Everton and the demise of Utd at the same time. For Moyes to succeed he will have to make some extreme decisions, firstly sell Rooney, Retire Giggs, find two new central midfielders and another world class striker and probably a new centre half as well.

But in saying that, the demise of Everton and United is no good to Liverpool if they don't push on, The second half today suggests that we are still way short of 4th, unless we improve our squad and in context beating utd today does not mean that much

United fans would see more of him and know more about him but as someone who doesn't watch them every week, Ashley Young doesn't really appear to have kicked on from the promise he showed when he first joined.

He has his moments, but ultimately his contribution to the first team has been pretty much nil since he'd joined, he's been injured quite a bit too, played infrequently last season. He has ability, just not enough to have an impact at a club with the profile of United, if he dropped back into a midtable/Europa League team you would see the best of him I'd say.

• Advertisement
Advertisement