Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet from second UPC box

• 29-08-2013 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭

Wondering if anyone knows if this is possible. I'm fairly bad with this sort of stuff so apologies if this is a dumb question.

We have UPC in the house, there are two boxes, one downstairs and one upstairs. The downstairs box is connected to a wireless router which is what I've been working off. However, I'd love to get my pc hooked up with a wire. The second UPC box is in the same room as the PC.

Am wondering if it's possible for me to connect my pc to the net by hooking a modem up to this second box.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057024404

Should be ok if cable quality is the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,402 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

If you are asking if you can use a second router on the second point and still keep the original router where it is in an effort to have both working simultaneously? then the answer is no.

If you are asking about removing the original router and connecting it to the second point beside your PC? it will work provided that second point is still active.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

I assumed it was just moving the modem!

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭mcgarnicle

Apologies for lack of clarity. Yes I had been hoping to leave the wireless router where it is connected to the first box but somehow have the PC upstairs on a separate wired connection to the second box.

There is some system you an get alright that uses the catv cabling to carry broadband to another room, think its called moca or something, I'm thinking linksys...

Why not just have the modem upstairs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭mcgarnicle

Hi Colm, thanks for the responses.

Reason I would rather not move the modem is that the rest of the house use wifi so if I moved it up stairs it would move the kitchen etc out of range of the wifi.

Perhaps I could look into moving the modem upstairs and then investing in some sort of wifi range extender.

You could just use homeplugs for the pc upstairs.

Advertisement