Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

quick rules question

Options
  • 29-08-2013 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭

I recently did amy first tri and had a small cut on foot so decided to wear wetsuit boots on swim to make run to bike easier as over some rough ground. Some one told me just before swim I would be dq if seen so I took them off and was glad he told me.i meant to ask marshall after race but never got around to it. Anybody know if that would be the case or not and no need to tell me htfu ....I know

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Anything that has a web like effect on the hands or feet is a DQ item.

So no swim gloves, and no booties allowed.

Plainly gives a web effect for the catch/kick and clear advantage over non glove/booties so a pretty plain rule imo.

It is a shame some swim entrances/exits have rocky patches on the feet but most are grand in fairness thankfully...
    Adrenalin kicks in mostly anyway and it's not till after the race that the loose skin takes effect! doh! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭El Director

I recently did amy first tri and had a small cut on foot so decided to wear wetsuit boots on swim to make run to bike easier as over some rough ground. Some one told me just before swim I would be dq if seen so I took them off and was glad he told me.i meant to ask marshall after race but never got around to it. Anybody know if that would be the case or not and no need to tell me htfu ....I know

Yip, they are banned alright. Fair play to the the person that told you because it would have been a shame to get a DQ on your first tri! Boots would give a swimmer an unfair advantage as they would act like flippers. Ever used flippers in the pool? If not try it and you will see why :)

Well done on completing your first tri :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭tritriagain

Thanks yeah adrenalin kicked in and got me through but paid for it after. Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Any foot or hand covering is not allowed. Even something as basic as a pair of socks is not allowed. This is where the concept of calf quards came from offering compression sock support to leg muscles without compromising the rules.

Well done on popping the tri cherry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

please show me the neopren boots that make you faster most people take them off becasue they slow down.

anyway for health and saftey i think boots and gloves ( without web) should be allowd ( maybe even madatory ) bellow 16 degree water temperature.
    you can cancell a swim or you can make if safer by allowing people to use them ( like we allow wetsuits)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

peter kern wrote: »
    please show me the neopren boots that make you faster most people take them off becasue they slow down.

anyway for health and saftey i think boots and gloves ( without web) should be allowd ( maybe even madatory ) bellow 16 degree water temperature.
    you can cancell a swim or you can make if safer by allowing people to use them ( like we allow wetsuits)

Do you actually believe the stuff you write?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 ciah

Have noticed some people at triathlons with taping on their feet. Is this always for an injury issue?

When swimming onto a stony beach have found that swimming till the water is very shallow works best, i.e. minimise time doing a war dance on the stones.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

tunney wrote: »
    Do you actually believe the stuff you write?

sounding a bit depressed dave

Just hungover.

Nice you have my comments switched back on, just couldn't stay away from me?

Might want to update your website Peter :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭ray o

What about those Speedo wetsuits with the forearm catch panels that expand during the pull phase of the stroke? I remember a bit of talk about these last year when they first came out. Are they are DQ offence?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

I was about to ask the same question Ray, the gf bought one of these wetsuits for a great price earlier in the year. Thought be best to check with TI around them, got a friendly phonecall to say that yep they are unfortunately banned and person wearing them could be disqualified. Asked if we closed up the catch panel would it be ok and where told nope. Wetsuit was returned and new wetsuit bought (she isn't going to be challenging for podium positions but didn't want the chance of missing a race because of the suit). Then in a few of the races I've done over the summer notice a few of the higher places women wearing the same suit with no disqualifications. So not sure what the position is on these.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

joey100 wrote: »
    I was about to ask the same question Ray, the gf bought one of these wetsuits for a great price earlier in the year. Thought be best to check with TI around them, got a friendly phonecall to say that yep they are unfortunately banned and person wearing them could be disqualified. Asked if we closed up the catch panel would it be ok and where told nope. Wetsuit was returned and new wetsuit bought (she isn't going to be challenging for podium positions but didn't want the chance of missing a race because of the suit).

They are illegal.

There was a bit of discussion here about it last year and Triathlon Ireland did clarify the rules on these sort of suits.

Awful pity you got caught out with these, glad you got it sorted.
    joey100 wrote: »
    Then in a few of the races I've done over the summer notice a few of the higher places women wearing the same suit with no disqualifications. So not sure what the position is on these.

The offending wetsuits were dumped onto the market at ridiculous prices for the companies to minimise their loses ASAP. Pretty confident that anyone racing at the top is using a similar suit without the expandable flaps.

The roughened or textured area is allowed on a wetsuit and is perfectly legal, its the pop-up assistance that is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭ray o

This is what I thought alright. They are still for sale so I assume some people are wearing them and I would imagine it's not something anyone is looking out for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

To be fair to the shop I bought it from they recommended checking out to make sure it wasn't illegal and there was no hassle at all with returning it. The main reason she bought the wetsuit was for the flexibility in it, much more comfortable than most other suits. Just a pity about the forearm panels.

Advertisement