Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can A Teacher Decide What Level Subject I Should Take Without My Permission? (LC)

• 29-08-2013 9:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭

It's a balls and i've passed every exam in 4th year / passed H/l for it for JC too.
    1st Day Back Today.
    Teacher didn't really mention what level class it was but the class was full of people who can't study/Put in the effort.

I'll just wait and see...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭diarmo06

Simply no.
    If you're just starting fifth year, there's bound to be some weaker students that will have a crack at it for awhile, only very very weak students would go immediately into an ordinary level class off the back of JC.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭simons545

DominicKid wrote: »
    It's a balls and i've passed every exam in 4th year / passed H/l for it for JC too.
    1st Day Back Today.
    Teacher didn't really mention what level class it was but the class was full of people who can't study/Put in the effort.

What's wrong with a good old-fashioned question? Teachers are there to answer them! That's why they're paid :-) utilise it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If there is banding in your school, you won't be with those other people for Irish. Check the situation before doing anything.

Depending on the subject, this just may be how classes work in your school.
    In mine, we were only split into Higher and Ordinary for Maths, English and Irish. For my chosen subjects, the class was mixed ability with the teacher teaching everyone HL and the students deciding after Christmas in 6th year what level to do for the LC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

1st Day Back Today.

Some schools don't make major decisions on how to divide classes for Irish, English and maths until the junior cert results come out. Then it's easier to see how people got on and divide them fairly. Some students who did HL for JC may decide to move to OL anyway and some may niot have done as well as they thought/better than expected.

Failing that ask the teacher what level the class is supposed to be doing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭DominicKid

By the way lads its not maths / irish or english,
    its for a language!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 390 ✭✭A97

If the classes are on at the same time, merely ask to move classes. That should be too much of an issue hopefully. A friend of mine is in an ordinary level class at the moment, but he can move depending on his JC grade. If you don't mind me asking, what grades did you usually get? Some schools/teachers mightn't let students do HL unless they're at least a C student.

A97 wrote: »
    If the classes are on at the same time, merely ask to move classes. That should be too much of an issue hopefully. A friend of mine is in an ordinary level class at the moment, but he can move depending on his JC grade. If you don't mind me asking, what grades did you usually get? Some schools/teachers mightn't let students do HL unless they're at least a C student.
    well i i got a d in jc, transition year and up until. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭MmmPancakes

well i i got a d in jc, transition year and up until. :pac:

A D in HL would be put into the low honours class (sounds like your school is streamed) and if you don't have a low honours maybe they put you in the pass class.

Do you have more than one honours class in the subject? if you do ask your principal to move up to the low honours class and if that doesn't work a ring from your parents should do. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Your school decides what class you get put in, but they cant stop you from taking Higher Level in a subject.

• Advertisement

Here lad i'm doing all Higher for all the subjects im doing at the moment.

Since it has been only past 2 days, i'll go on monday and about it ( make an excuse 'my parents won't allow me to put into pass class/do pass level for this subject ).

The teacher's class whom i wish to be in kind of hates me too becuase i seemed to always piss him off since the start of 1st year up until i had him and the end of 1st year.

Also there were a few lads who failed their exams (TY summer exams for that particular subject i'm on about) had been called up to go his class.

Advertisement