Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad internet for gaming?

• 29-08-2013 9:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭

Currently on an 8mb package with eircom broadband
    i live in an urban area and quite close to an exchange
    i rang eircom several times, they say the lines are alright nothing wrong with them.

So i just cant understand why my internet is so bad
    on 8mb my connection should be at least 3 green bars while playing a game online

this video below is used just to show you what i mean, constantly going from red (1bar) to green(4bars) and saying connection inturrupted

http://videobam.com/AsNpK

so since eircom believe its nothing on their end, and ive already spoken to them, im looking for someones advice on any other methods of fixing this

Ive tried

1.restarting the router by turning it off for 30 seconds and then back on

2. reset the whole router but still the same

3.my firewall is off, still the same situation just only my nat type is open.

4. tried port forwarding, same thing , my nat is open but connection is still dropping.

5.replaced the router. same thing.

6. have 2 security keys on my router both are wpsk keys? or wpa keys, either way no ones getting through to them in my neighbourhood.

i dont understand it, surely 8mb is good enough for playing an online game, my connection never seems to drop while surfing the internet, and no one in my household ever uses my internet except for my sister but ive still had this problem even when their all out or on holidays,
    it makes no sense

Please mod dont move this to talk to eircom , ive already talked to them, and theyve assured me its nothing on their end

all i want is a steady connection, and i dont plan on going with upc either as i already have sky

thanks

is anyone else experiencing these problems with 8mb connections?

also just to state when i do a test run my internet, its normaly between the 5-7.5mb zone so its quite high

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

Are you going over wireless ? If so you might just be on a bad channel you can change the wireless Chanel to fix this by logging in to your modem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Are you going over wireless ? If so you might just be on a bad channel you can change the wireless Chanel to fix this by logging in to your modem.

how do i change the channel?
    yes im going wireless as my xbox is upstairs and my router is beside my phone

how do i set both of them to the same channel? il try it out

also i think the channals are on auto,
    in that case their would be the odd day were i get good connection
    but this has been happening since last august as far as i can remember

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Invest in powerline adapters. Itll be golden after that. Also make sure nobody else in the house is torrenting/uploading a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

Go to your browser put in 192.168.1.1 if that does not work press the windows key and the letter r at the same time a run box will appear type in cmd click ok.

Type in ipconfig you are looking for the default gateway put that in to your browser it will then ask for a user name and password try broadband1 or have a look under the modem. In the modem you will be looking for wireless look for wireless channel try to change that and see how it goes.

If you call up tech support they could guide you trough your modem or if really stuck i could log in to your modem trough team viewer if really stuck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

MB has nothing to do with how good a connection is for gaming. Once you have 3+Mb its your ping time that matters, even 1mb would probably be ok. Do a ping test through speedtest.net

• Advertisement

ok i tried the channel thing guys
    its not working unfortunatly
    i set it to 12 different channels tried them all and still nothing

garIT i did a ping test, check out the broadband speed test forum if you want proof of my ping
    but to save you the trouble it ranges from 30ping - 200+ping
    constantly jumping up and down up and down
    is their anyway to fix this
    i thought port forwarding might solve this or even a reset in my router but nope :(

no one is downloading or uploading in my house :/ i appreciate the replys lads but still no luck

edit: what are powerline adaptors? is that like wired?

Ideally you want a ping of less than 20 ish for a perfect connection for gaming. There is a bad connection between you and the internet somewhere.

GarIT wrote: »
    Ideally you want a ping of less than 20 ish for a perfect connection for gaming. There is a bad connection between you and the internet somewhere.

but would you know anyway to fix this without going wired?
    i dont need perfect , just once i can play a game without a big spike lag every 10seconds would be fine:pac:

I'm more on an enthusiast rather than an expert on the subject, all I can really say is that there is a problem, max you should expect from fixed line broadband is 40ms. The problem might not be with your wireless connection. There could be a dodgy cable anywhere between you and the exchange.

ok thanks anyway mate
    im going to buy one of those powerline adaptors to boost my signal
    im convinced now its all down to packet loss and ping
    either way if its no solved within the next 2months il have to change to another ISP

• Advertisement

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1439175/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7COffice%2C+PCs+and+phones%7C14418968/c_2/3%7C19780850%7CWireless+networking%7C14419015/c_3/4%7Ccat_14419015%7CPowerline+adaptor+kits%7C26066890.htm

i found this one in argos, granted its the cheapest one, but seems to look fine
    so how do i work it?

do i plug it in somewere between halfway from my router to my bedroom, then i plug in an ethernet cable into it that goes into my xbox?
    does it pick up my wireless signal or does all this have to be wired?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,579 ✭✭✭✭siblers

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1439175/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7COffice%2C+PCs+and+phones%7C14418968/c_2/3%7C19780850%7CWireless+networking%7C14419015/c_3/4%7Ccat_14419015%7CPowerline+adaptor+kits%7C26066890.htm

so how do i work it?

do i plug it in somewere between halfway from my router to my bedroom, then i plug in an ethernet cable into it that goes into my xbox?

Put one in a wall socket next to your router and another in a wall socket next to your xbox, have an ethernet cable going from esch plug to each device. The ethernet cables will be supplied. The plus wont work on extension leads. You might be better off trying a ethernet straight from router to xbox to see if it helps before you fork out on those plugs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »

so how do i work it?

Those are an old version of the powerline adapter for an awful price. Go on amazon and get the 500Mbps version for probably less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭raymix

This video might help with power adaptor and router setup, pardon my accent:

Advertisement