Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas markets?

Options
  • 29-08-2013 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

Love, love, love this forum! Following it forever.

Starting to get excited now that summer has finally come to an end. Anyway hopefully someone here can help me.

I'm hoping to go on a break this December and I have Galway in my head. I have heard their Christmas market is great but don't have a clue as to what's there, where to stay etc.

I will be bringing my then 15 month old so need a central hotel, near all the buzz but family friendly. Any tips?

Also is Galway the best place to go? Don't know anything about any of the other markets so I need all you Christmas boardsies opinions!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭SupaDupaFly

Anybody?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I'm afraid I don't know a huge amount about the Irish markets. I have been to a bunch of the Dublin ones over the years and they just seem... A bit lacklustre. Lots of same stuff repeated over and over. And in my mind the atmosphere isn't the same. Op, I know with a little kiddy you prob can't travel but if you could, look into Birmingham. We were there year before last and it's the biggest German market outside Germany. It was amazing. Really great amount of stall and the atmosphere was great. You could probably get a flight and hotel for the same price as Galway, if you include travel and accommodation and all.

Jut something to think about if you think your little one could stand the journey. Might be too much if so. I've hear great things about the Belfast markets also, might be another option.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

If you're still not finding any relevant information in the next few days, OP and are specifically looking for Galway related information, let me know and I can move this to the Galway forum for you.

I second what baby and crumble has said about the Dublin markets- really not great at all. Not much atmosphere and very overpriced.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Posy wrote: »
    very overpriced.

Well to be fair ALL Christmas markets are overpriced, the ones on the continent are just as overpriced as the ones in Ireland if you compare it to how much/littlle you pay in shops/restaurantsin those countries.
    The Galway Christmas market has become a bit meh since the first year, last year there were not as many food stalls as before and the ones that were quite popular (at least for us and friends) were no longer there either. I don't think they sold too much arts and craft stuff last year, and it was obviously very expensive.
    I don't know if I would recommend a trip to the Galway market, you wouldn't need more than an afternoon/evening anyhow, it's quite small.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 hamsterfox

I am researching a trip for later this year for up to 4 people, and thinking of using the Travel Department for the first time, as I am travelling with some older people and the airport transfers would be handy. Any opinions on the Travel Department trips to the markets? At the moment we are thinking of Prague. Just thought I'd give my opinions on the other markets I've been to as the season for planning trips is not too far away!

Stockholm; Aww, amazing if you can afford it. A fabulous city, the markets are gorgeous. One is on an island that you get a ten minute boat trip to, and they also have a Swedish country-life museum there that is amazing. The old town market in Gamla Stan is probably the nicest, small but very atmospheric and the gluhwein is lovely (but expensive, and small glasses!) Also take a trip to the Vasa Museum that has a viking ship in it, it is one of their top tourist attractions and well worth a visit.

Brussels; lovely and best to be combined with a trip to Bruges. When i went about six years ago, they had an ice-sculpture festival in Bruges and it was brilliant. The markets in Brussels are not terribly extensive but I enjoyed them and the rest of the shopping is quite good for Christmas stuff as well. I also really liked the Jacques Brel museum. If you like gin, I remember there was a stall in the markets that did about a hundred varieties of flavoured gin, and they were giving out free samples :)

Vienna: i went to Vienna last December and I have to say it is perfect for Christmas markets, even though it's not one of my favourite cities. There are about 7 markets dotted around the city, most within walking distance. I particularly liked the one at the Rathaus and the ones at Am Hof and the one in the next street to it. Well worth taking a short trip out on the Metro to the Schonnbrunn Palace and taking a tour there, they also have a really good Christmas Market just outside the main door of the palace. We were lucky enough to get a dusting of snow on our visit and it was just picturesque. I'd love to post some pics into this post but i can't figure out how...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

Kinvara has a nice Christmas Market.
    It's not very big but the atmosphere is nice.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Anyone know what the Belfast Christmas markets are like?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭flynny50

Went to the Belfast Xmas markets the last 2 years.
    Great atmosphere,very busy in evenings but mainly all food & drink.
    Defo worth a weekend shopping trip though,Belfast a great spot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Was in Urlingford today and noticed that JJ Kavanagh had loads of advertisements for trips to the Christmas markets in England and a few other spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

the "christmas" market that comes to galway once a year is, in my opinion, not worth the effort. very lackluster as another poster said about the markets. lots of tacky stuff for sale.

however there is a regular galway market that happens every saturday and most sundays in the town - it's a great market, very authentic, and although it is not a christmas market, they have some great stalls with great home-make designs and items for sale - you can find almost anything, and great food stalls too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭DUBACC

I've been to the Manchester markets each year for the last 5 or 6 as i have friends over there. Love it - seems to be getting bigger every year too. The amount of food is insane!

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ms.Sunshine

The Christmas market in Galway was great the first year in Galway - but it hasn't been the same since unfortunately. I love Christmas so much and so this year instead of hanging around Galway for it I have decided to go to Berlin to theirs! Can not wait.

Advertisement