Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car wax-buff

Options
  • 29-08-2013 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭

Looking to get my golf wax-buffered

Just looking to bring back the colour a bit.its a grey car so u know how paint can fade a bit and also looking to remove handmarks

Any1 know a place that does this..if so how much

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

It depends on how faded the car is and also how it was faded. For example, if the car has been on the wrong side of a few automated car washes, you're going to have a hill to climb.

If the car just needs a full machine polish, I recommend considering a full valet. I don't mean a €40 full valet, I mean the €100+ valet that it would receive it were being sold on a garage forecourt. If the paint is old and very tired, you would probably be as well off to give the car to a valeter that would 'machine compound' but not all of them do this as it is a relatively severe method. At least, you could give it to a panel beater to machine compound before giving it to the valeter.

The other option is to go and buy an assortment of potions and materials, roll up your sleeves and give it a go yourself. This can be quite costly if you don't have some or all of the materials in the shed.

It really is a how-long-is-a-piece-of-string situation without seeing the car. I think the first thing to do is ask a couple of valeters for a quote. There was a place behind the Centra on the Kinsale road that I understand are quite good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

You'll need to travel if you want your car machine polished by a professional, no-one in Cork does it any more. CleanCar.ie in New Ross do it, but I haven't had anything done by them so that's not a recommendation. I took mine to Dublin - Drogheda actually - the last time I was going to IKEA and the car went from '96 pink to factory scarlet, looks fab. Expect to pay big money for a professional job though, a lot more than a ton.

All that being said, a good wash and wax can do wonders, and it'll reveal exactly what needs to be done. Wash the car with two buckets (suds and rinse) and a microfiber cloths or a mitt, dry with microfiber towels, detar and then wax - Auto Glym products are ideal for a quick job, they go on and come off easy. Super Resin Polish gives a nice easy shine.

It's hard work if you do it right, but there's a certain sense of satisfaction in it. Just don't turn into an amateur detailer, those guys are nuts!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Not sure and I cant think of their name cant find the flyer but there was a new place opened in Centre Park business park, prices weren't bad and im sure you could ask.. Youll have to do a bit of googling or call down. Other than that, you could get your own gear. you get this sander (yep) in aldis sometimes, just charge the sandpaper to a buff and walla works a dream. Youll need some nice wax too Autoglym is great but any would do

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Post a pic, OP. Looks like there are a few car buffs [pun intended] in Cork...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

Waxing wouldn't get rid of any fading, handmarks etc. its polishing thats needed as well as a good de-tar, de-iron and clay i'd say. Wax is a layer added for protection over the job below. Theres a detailling forum in Motors where you'll get good advice.

It'd definitely be €100+ for a full paintwork job, more if its bad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭CianDon

I've a buddy who does a full Machine compound for €50 so drop me a PM and I'll put you in contact if you want

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Jes that is very cheap, I just pmd would not mind his number. Spent yesterday cleaning my own and used the sander with the buffer on it..tis the job the shine is great so proud

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Smarties1

D&D valeting in bishopstown do full machine compound if you're still interested. They're on facebook if you want more details or their number.

Advertisement