Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Excavator operator

Options
  • 29-08-2013 11:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Hi all,
    I was just wondering how hard it is to get a job in Australia as an excavator operator with limited experience. I know that you need to be ticketed to operate one. But do you think someone who goes to the trouble of getting a ticket, but only has limited experience would be employable out there?
    Every advertisement I see looking for operators seems to require 5 years of proven experience and references:(. Any help is greatly appreciated:pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

There's plenty of guys who started of labouring and digging holes with a shovel, who work their way up to excavator operator, either full time or simply to have the ticket for when its needed.
    Starting with ANY experience will make that transition a lot faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Experience helps. On the mine sites here in QLD you get guys from all sorts of all ages who just got their tickets to operate. It doesn't mean they actually know what they need to do with it on site. I see a lot of operators who don't have a clue about what they are supposed to do, site terminology etc and they can be dangerous.
    Most mine sites, whether you have a ticket or not you get V.O.C.'d (verification of competency). So even if you don't have a ticket but have been an operator wherever for years and can show you are capable, you get your VOC on the job and you are good to go.

A good licence to have is a Heavy Rigid. It will allow you to drive a variety of vehicles on site from 30/40 ton Moxy (dumper) to buses, water trucks etc...

Having a ticket is a good start though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 shurwhynot11

Cheers for the replies!
    I have limited experience, but the verification of competency sounds interesting. I fully agree that operators who are not fully aware of what to do on site and those not experienced enough, can be a danger to both themselves and those around them. What does the V.O.C. comprise of? Is it just basic excavator techniques or would it be a bit more complicated than that?
    I wouldn't have any references as so to speak. I'd be pretty confident in my skills as an operator. But I know that I am no expert or match against those that have been at it for years. The excavator ticket would be my only way of showing I suppose, that I am capable. The V.O.C. might make it that bit easier to gain employment considering my current circumstances.
    Are the mines still recruiting excavator operators and the likes? Some people have told me that its very easy to get a job as an excavator operator in Australia, but I tend to take that advice with a grain of salt. Others say that employment in Australia is starting to slow down and any sort of work, is much harder to come by. Sorry for all the questions, but to date, I've found it very difficult to get information on this particular subject.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

There is lots of work for excavator operators but most employers aren't too keen on inexperienced operators so it can be difficult to get a start. Like the only experience I have would be loading moxys on a stockpile and I haven't done much of that either so it's hard to convince my current boss to let me have a go on the diggers. So stuck driving the moxy for another while! Also most sites only look for VOC for moxys not the HR licence. Mines are probably different though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 chappy79x

well at least ya have a start and can build up some experience that your boss can see, onwards and upwards as they say

• Advertisement
Advertisement