Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decision Paper on the Scope of Restricted Electrical Works

Options
  • 30-08-2013 12:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭

Just had a skim through the papers from the CER website about this new law.

http://www.cer.ie/en/electricity-safety-controlled-works.aspx

The following is taken from PAGE 4 of
    Document Type: Decision Paper
    Reference: CER/13/147

CER decision on scope of Restricted Electrical Works;
    The implementation of this decision will mean that all Controlled Electrical Works, as currently defined, in a domestic setting can only be carried out by a REC. There will be no legal exemption for the owner/occupier. However, minor electrical work will remain outside the scope of Restricted Electrical Works.
    Restricted Electrical Works will cover:
    1. the installation, commissioning, inspection and testing of a new Electrical Installation which is fixed, fastened or mounted or otherwise secured so that its position does not change and requires connection or re-connection to the distribution network or the transmission network, as the case may be;
    2. the modification, installation or replacement of a Distribution Board including customer tails on either side of the Main Protective Device or of an Electrical Installation in any of the special locations listed in Part 7 of the National Rules for Electrical Installations, as the case may be;
    3. the installation or replacement of one or more circuits in an Electrical Installation, including the installation of one or more additional protective devices for such circuits on a Distribution Board; or
    4. the inspection, testing or certification of, or reporting on, existing Electrical Installations covered by Chapter 62 of the National Rules for Electrical Installations;
    in a Domestic Property.

This means that it will be illegal for an electrical contractor that is not registered with a Safety Supervisory Body (SSB) to complete domestic electrical work.
    Consequently, Restricted Electrical Works does not include:
    a) Electrical works in potentially explosive atmospheres;
    b) Electrical works in a Commercial Premises setting including MV and HV connection and installations;
    c) Electrical works on a construction site;
    d) Electrical works within exhibitions, shows and stands;
    e) Electrical works on agricultural and horticultural installations;
    f) Electrical works on public lighting and associated cabling;
    g) Minor electrical works including the replacement of an electrical accessory such as a light switch, the replacement or relocation of light fitting where the existing circuit is retained, the provision of an additional socket to an existing radial circuit, or electrical works which do not require the issuance of a completion certificate under Section 9D of the Act.

Hopefully this will explain things a bit better. As there has been a lot of banter going on as of late as to how screwed we all are.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

I hate this fukin country. Criminalising a mans ability to earn a crust is disgusting. These increasingly authoritarian stateist controls eventually take us to one place over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Does this mean that competent DIY'ers cannot do electrical work in their own home?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Dotsie~tmp wrote: »
    I hate this fukin country. Criminalising a mans ability to earn a crust is disgusting.

Yes, while lining their own pockets directly from the pockets of the nation of the ever more hard pressed they pretend to represent. They know full well we are a nation of ovis aries, who will complain alright, but do nothing else.

stoneill wrote: »
    Does this mean that competent DIY'ers cannot do electrical work in their own home?

It means qualified electricians cant (unless registered), never mind DIYr`s

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

The definition of competence requires training, experience and knowledge; so not likely to be a DIY'er! (Unless it was also their day job)

(2)(a) For the purposes of the relevant statutory provisions, a person is deemed to be a competent person where, having regard to the task he or she is required to perform and taking account of the size or hazards (or both of them) of the undertaking or establishment in which he or she undertakes work, the person possesses sufficient training, experience and knowledge appropriate to the nature of the work to be undertaken.
    (b) Account shall be taken, as appropriate, for the purposes of subparagraph (a) of the framework of qualifications referred to in the Qualifications (Education and Training) Act 1999."

From page 10, of the link below.

http://www.hsa.ie/eng/Publications_and_Forms/Publications/Safety_and_Health_Management/Guide_to_SHWWA_2005.pdf

• Advertisement

Why is this change not causing a huge furore?
    The implications are huge - the govt. is directly legislating what you can and can't do inside your own house.
    I can see the safety aspect, but I did specifically use the competent aspect as there plenty of people who, although not electricians by trade
    have gone through electrical theory and practice, electrical installation training and similar training.

See the sheep reference a post or 2 earlier
    The implications are huge - the govt. is directly legislating what you can and can't do inside your own house.
    They can do what they like when they are governing a nation of collective fools. And that is what they think we are, and likely they are correct.
    I can see the safety aspect
    I can see the revenue aspect only.
    but I did specifically use the competent aspect as there plenty of people who, although not electricians by trade
    have gone through electrical theory and practice, electrical installation training and similar training.
    But qualified people are being told they cant do it, so non qualified would likely be in there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

I can see the safety aspect, but I did specifically use the competent aspect as there plenty of people who, although not electricians by trade

We've had successive governments bow to the will of the European central bank to squeeze the life out of our citizens in the name of austerity to pay back billions in debt that isn't ours and we sat back and took it en masse.

If that couldn't move us to demand change,Its hardly likely this new law would have caused much more than a few curse words muttered at the bar whilst supping on a pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

it'll be a shock to the system if the squad car turns up while you're wiring a socket

and you have to go to the garda station and leave all your tools behind

the shame of it all

it'll be a shock to the system if the squad car turns up while you're wiring a socket

and you have to go to the garda station and leave all your tools behind

the shame of it all

The implications are that your house would become uninsurable if you happen to have moved a socket or replaced a switchplate.
    Plus the cost of having a registered electrical contractor to do some simple work like wire up a cooker hood or change a light fitting.

• Advertisement

The implications are that your house would become uninsurable if you happen to have moved a socket or replaced a switchplate.

That`s not really realistic though.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭frankmul

Plus the cost of having a registered electrical contractor to do some simple work like wire up a cooker hood or change a light fitting.

Is replacement or small modification not allowed. Basically as long as you stay away from the DB you can work away.

Even working on the DB is hardly going to interfere with house insurance.

Next we will need to ring eagle star to get permission to paint the living room, or take off the fireguard for an open fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Seanieke

Oddly enough the DIYers can do what they want. Electrical works, cameras, gates.... No one can take that away from you. But if you've spent 4+ years of your life training and years building up a company they can deem you cannot.

See point G in the OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

How much does registry cost, is there an initial test and are there ongoing costs associated with it, for example compulsory training days to renew registry and so on, the way hauliers have?

As far as I can see you just join RECI or ECSSA. So about €300 per year.. But I'm open to correction on this....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Still a chunk of change all the time.

Wish I had it to spare!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

Seanieke wrote: »
    As far as I can see you just join RECI or ECSSA. So about €300 per year.. But I'm open to correction on this....

Plus insurance, various cert fees, tester verification fees, equipment etc. For small contractors with work bone dry its not small money.

• Advertisement

Plus insurance, various cert fees, tester verification fees, equipment etc. For small contractors with work bone dry its not small money.

Thats true, I never thought of all that stuff.. Even more p1ssed off now

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

All of which have been required long before the Restricted Electrical Works legislation was even thought of.

I think this thread has gone far enough off topic.

As this is more related to government legislation than electrical matters it would be better for those that want to discuss it further to start a thread here in the Legal Discussion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement