Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help :D

• 30-08-2013 1:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hey everyone!
    Ok ... I have a Bichon called Millie for 9 years... and as of about five minutes ago I've adopted another Bichon, she was found by my boyfriends unlce on the side of the road in a bad way(Wasnt fed well, etc) and was after being knocked down.. He brought her to the vet immediately where she is at the moment.. Apparently she is fine, but had no collar or microchip and was heading straight for the pound so I said Id take her!
    First of all do you think there may be dominant female issues go on ?
    All in all Millie is a fantastic dog!! I have no complaint about her , bar her smelly breath she is an absolute dream.. Friendly to other dogs and amazing with my three year old sister, who is an absolute torment haha...
    My second thing i naming the dog ... I have to name her , but as I dont know her real name will it confuse her ?
    And finally does anybody have any tips on kind of rescuing a dog I suppose... Im good with animals and what not but any tips or advice or this would be greatly appreciated!
    Thank you for your time :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

how kind of you to rescue this poor dog
    I hope it all goes well for you
    You will have to wait and see how Millie does with her. If shes already good with other dogs, and sounds like an easy going dog, you will hopefully be ok.
    I would just say to make sure not to make too much of a fuss of the new arrival, to the extent that Millie is put out
    Maybe have her sleep in a seperate room/space from Millie initially until you see how things go.
    Ditto for feeding time. Put an extra bowl of water out.
    The new arrival may be feeling worried and nervous of her new home (specially after being hurt) so you will have to go gently with the whole thing until you see what you are up against. Hopefully they will be fine together and you will be surprised how easy it all turns out (I was!)
    As for naming your new dog - she will soon get used to the idea that her name is different. Just keep repeating her new name over and over when you stroke/talk to her. Using the 'calling' tone of voice with her new name will soon get her used to it.

Have you checked all the Lost & Found websites etc to see if she is lost?
    Let us know how it goes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Well done for helping her, but somebody might be missing her, she could have been stolen and dumped. By law you must inform the warden, and I'd suggest you also contact the Gards. Please check all the lost and found sites, she could possibly have been stolen from anywhere in the country, not locally.

Naming her isn't an issue, dogs pick up new names very quickly.

If you can, try to introduce the two of them outside your home, on neutral territory, can she walk? Take the pair of them for a walk together, so that they get used to each other. Don't try to force the pair of them together in the home, she will probably be very unsure of herself, and may not want to interact with her or you for a little while, let her choose the pace at which she becomes part of the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Robynne

Thank you both for you great advice!
    I will of course look for her owner, because if I lost Millie I would hope the same would be done for me... I can't imagine how the owners feels, if they were infact good to her.. According to the vet she has been badly treated! But yes that could have been from dognappers and not her owner...
    We've learned that she has a broken pelvis :( and they're bringing her to a charity called D.A.W.G. :( So I'm not really sure what this means for me rescuing her now, but Ill keep ye updated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭brrabus

Ahh, the poor little thing. Hope they make her all better. There was a Bichon dog stolen mid July, seemingly there is a white van going around the Cork area stealing dogs. Some people are really horrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Robynne wrote: »
    Thank you both for you great advice!
    I will of course look for her owner, because if I lost Millie I would hope the same would be done for me... I can't imagine how the owners feels, if they were infact good to her.. According to the vet she has been badly treated! But yes that could have been from dognappers and not her owner...
    We've learned that she has a broken pelvis :( and they're bringing her to a charity called D.A.W.G. :( So I'm not really sure what this means for me rescuing her now, but Ill keep ye updated!

The name of the rescue may be deleted, because of the forum policy, but its a good one, so honestly, don't worry, they will look after her. Let them know that you would like to rehome her. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement