Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Male Bengal advice

• 30-08-2013 5:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I have a male Bengal (neutered) roughly 2 yrs & 4 months.

He was reared in a house & litter trained.
    But for the last year and a half he's been allowed access to outside of a house & has a territory marked and won't go beyond it. (I've seen how far it extends, he won't go over a certain part of road either side)
    Would it be too hard on him to change him back to being an indoor cat?
    Just looking for advice as he is the first indoorish cat i've owned. Would it be cruel to bring him back to being an indoor kitty?:(

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

A bengal is a very high drive cat that needs A LOT of stimulation; I'd not recommend making it a 100% indoor cat but if you feel uncomfortable with him being out I'd start walking him in a leash (this will take time to train him into) instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Could you secure your garden so that he can't actually get out, but can still mill around the garden. Or possibly, if you have the space, create a cat run?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Nody wrote: »
    A bengal is a very high drive cat that needs A LOT of stimulation; I'd not recommend making it a 100% indoor cat but if you feel uncomfortable with him being out I'd start walking him in a leash (this will take time to train him into) instead.

Ooooh I know that. He won't go on the leash no matter how I try.

The new house I'm in is in a town so it's 100% no on being let free. His new favorite thing is trying to get into cars no matter what space it gives :/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Kovu Murr wrote: »
    Ooooh I know that. He won't go on the leash no matter how I try.

The new house I'm in is in a town so it's 100% no on being let free. His new favorite thing is trying to get into cars no matter what space it gives :/
    Why not go for agility training? This is something that will give them a challenge mentally and a way to keep them entertained and thinking.

Nody wrote: »
    Why not go for agility training? This is something that will give them a challenge mentally and a way to keep them entertained and thinking.

I've never heard of this, do you know someone who has used it & had it help?

His new amusement is fishing socks out of the washing basket now.

To make it clear, I had a job when I bought him, I didn't plan on being in college again with a 6kg cat in tow:o
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

My male Bengal is an indoor cat who goes out on a leash. He also has a whole garage with open rafters to run off energy! But he still pines to get out so we try to let him out as much as possible. I pondered over letting him out full stop and spoke to my vet on this, I dont think he's very street smart and I worry he if wandered off would someone return him

I think if he's used to being out it'll be tough to try to keep him in and could mean that if he did eventually manage to get out he may bolt

My male Bengal is an indoor cat who goes out on a leash. He also has a whole garage with open rafters to run off energy! But he still pines to get out so we try to let him out as much as possible. I pondered over letting him out full stop and spoke to my vet on this, I dont think he's very street smart and I worry he if wandered off would someone return him

I think if he's used to being out it'll be tough to try to keep him in and could mean that if he did eventually manage to get out he may bolt

That's what I was thinking. Esp in a new place.
    He is used of running up & down chairs, tabdlrs, sheds, roofs (yes, I have found him up there next to the chimney)

But to leave him at home :(:( He is used to sleeping in my bed after climbing in the window.

I have one who is strictly indoor. Simply because thats the way he likes it. He has no want to go outside. Just likes to be held or sleep on his tree. I want to try take him out on a leash but he freaks out. He is a big baby.

Kovu Murr wrote: »
    I've never heard of this, do you know someone who has used it & had it help?
    Jackson Galaxy used it in one of the first two episodes with a couple with a bengal; that's why I thought of it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

If you are still in touch with his breeder I would discuss it with them.
    The problem with giving a purely indoor cat access to the outside is that it can be very difficult to train them back in.
    I would consider the small enclosed area that you could attach to the back of the house and give him access through a window. You can be certain he is safe and wont wander off. A pedigree cat does not really have the street smarts to be outside and if i had bred him I would devestated that he was being let out due to a number of reasons.
    None of my kittens get access to our enclosure as the majority of them wont get the same at their new home and it would be a nightmare for new owners to retrain them to keep them in. Only the resident cats can go out into the safe space.
    If you keep him in you are looking at a retraining period of at least 6 weeks. New toys will be good to keep him occupied, the Da bird to tire him out, a laser mouse to do the same. It will be hard but it will be worth it in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭fredweena

I had an indoor cat that became an outdoors-ish cat and then we changed him back to indoor. We have to keep an eye on him but if he does sneak out he doesn't go far and we get him right in. We just made sure he had plenty to do indoors and he just got used to it (not that he had much choice to be honest, he got hit by a car and that was the end of his jaunting around as far as I was concerned). They adapt pretty well.

Advertisement