Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business Idea & Question for Retailers

Options
  • 30-08-2013 7:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭

Morning Guys,

So I've decided to revisit an old business idea from few years ago, a business which creates and provides custom in-store 'radio' to retailers and businesses.
    It's actually an idea which spawned from a much more ambitious one, a mobile app which allowed you to create and control your own real radio station unique to you.

The main reason I'm revisiting is because advancements in technology has made this a more feasible project than before with greater flexibility to whats currently available.

I've worked in commercial radio for over 8 years now and have an in-dept knowledge of how 'real radio' works. Using some of the broadcasting tricks thousands of people fall for everyday I could provide a live sounding product with Presenters, News, Entertainment bits, etc. without exploding costs. In some ways Music would almost become a secondary product.

Before any of this can leave paper, I need to nail the research first. Naturally there are limits to how much I can discover about existing providers on my own - which is why I'm here. I'd love to speak to any retailers or businesses who have or had experience with one of these products . The pros, the cons, the price.

Everyone else, I'd love your opinion!

I'm not expecting a Bentley or house in the Hamptons by the way, I just want to build something of my own which I have a passion for and can produce a income for myself and partner.

I've no intentions of leaving my full time job, I love it far too much, but correctly run and after the inevitable stress of starting up, this could be something we could both easily manage.

Thanks in advance guys

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

I play rte gold via a DAB radio - commercial free and perfect. Also means I don't have to pay imro fees as its primarily to give staff enjoyment whilst working and not a specific part of my offer to the consumer.

If I had a customised playlist it would be seen as being for customers and therefore in addition to your fee, i would be liable for imro.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

sandin wrote: »
    I play rte gold via a DAB radio - commercial free and perfect. Also means I don't have to pay imro fees.

I would have thought if the customers can hear it you would still have had to pay?

OP: I'm a retailer we currently just use an ipod which works fine and it means its always easy for us to update the playlist or quickly skip a track if its getting annoying! Would your product be via a stream or by physical disk sent out?

I've worked in places that use similar products and the people in charge of them always let them drag on and they would end up having promos for items that may be out of stock or an offer that already ended etc. It would be better if it was via a stream so it would be quick to update and keep fresh. We often only decide to run an offer a day or two before we start it which would obviously be too short a time to put something together and post out whereas with a streaming service this would be possible in that sort of time frame. It would essentially be spotify in your shop with customisable adverts.

I think if you can get the price right and have a decent turn around time then you will find a market with the SMEs who have a few outlets but not enough to justify spending the amount to allow them to do it in house or the established companies that charge a lot.

jimmii wrote: »
    I would have thought if the customers can hear it you would still have had to pay?

Not since they pissed off a retailer by jacking up the cost and that retailer took them to the high court and won. Now PPI must prove that the music is an intrinsic part of the business offering and that the business is benefiting from it.

e.g. Pubs / nightclubs etc, but normal high street retailers with a bit of music in the background can say its not an intrinsic part of the business

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/court-case-means-music-royalty-claims-against-retailers-now-in-doubt-1.1359057

Hope this will save you a few quid! :D

Not since they pissed off a retailer by jacking up the cost and that retailer took them to the high court and won. Now PPI must prove that the music is an intrinsic part of the business offering and that the business is benefiting from it.

e.g. Pubs / nightclubs etc, but normal high street retailers with a bit of music in the background can say its not an intrinsic part of the business

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/court-case-means-music-royalty-claims-against-retailers-now-in-doubt-1.1359057

Hope this will save you a few quid! :D

Wow brilliant! They certainly don't make that clear on their website good to know!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,369 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I was just reading about this, and I think its going to be hard for PPI or Imro now to try and pursue retailers! We too have a similar story, in that its only 1 or 2 customers at a time (if that) in the store and only for a few minutes at a time, they are basically in & out in a matter of minutes! Having the radio on certainly doesn't influence who comes in, or what they buy! I wonder how likely they will be to keep pursuing this now?
    Is it worth writing to them and mentioning these cases as evidence that we too should not have to pay for this??

• Advertisement

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I was just reading about this, and I think its going to be hard for PPI or Imro now to try and pursue retailers! We too have a similar story, in that its only 1 or 2 customers at a time (if that) in the store and only for a few minutes at a time, they are basically in & out in a matter of minutes! Having the radio on certainly doesn't influence who comes in, or what they buy! I wonder how likely they will be to keep pursuing this now?
    Is it worth writing to them and mentioning these cases as evidence that we too should not have to pay for this??

I'm in exactly the same position mine is up for renewal in February i'm hoping someone else tests the waters before then!!

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    jimmii wrote: »
    I'm in exactly the same position mine is up for renewal in February i'm hoping someone else tests the waters before then!!

Just simply return the form and tell them that music is not part of your offering to customers and is for enjoyment of the staff. I have several outlets around the country and they have not bothered me since I sent them that reply.

More recent
    http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/energy-and-resources/music-royalties-case-against-retailer-dropped-1.1477781

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,369 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Just simply return the form and tell them that music is not part of your offering to customers and is for enjoyment of the staff. I have several outlets around the country and they have not bothered me since I sent them that reply.

More recent
    http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/energy-and-resources/music-royalties-case-against-retailer-dropped-1.1477781

I didn't think that would be enough for them! if it is as easy as that I should have done it a long time ago!
    What about IMRO? is that a similar story?

Advertisement