Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Variable Restrictor

• 30-08-2013 9:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I have decided to make a return to bikes after about a 7 year absence. I have decided on picking up a used fireblade but was wondering if there is such as thing as a variable restrictor. Something which will allow me to limit the power of the bike and increase the power after time. Like how more modern bikes allow you to select power modes.

I have a full A license so it is not for insurance or license issues. Just looking to play it safe while getting used to the bike again.

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I've never heard of one.

Something like that would need to be based in the ECU which would require a decent bit of programming.

You could probably manually change the restriction each time but it would require redoing the restriction but just to a different amount. Seems like too much work to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Not been smart but just use your wrist....the bike will only go as fast as your twist. If you think you might relive the younger days, don't get such a fast bike as a blade start off on something a bit more forgiving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

A power commander type of jobby?

Not sure if they can be programmed to lower the bhp tho

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭sleepysniper

EDIT #2: Oops, nevermind I re-read the op properly!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Strituck wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

I have decided to make a return to bikes after about a 7 year absence. I have decided on picking up a used fireblade but was wondering if there is such as thing as a variable restrictor. Something which will allow me to limit the power of the bike and increase the power after time. Like how more modern bikes allow you to select power modes.

I have a full A license so it is not for insurance or license issues. Just looking to play it safe while getting used to the bike again.

Many thanks

Yes..your wrist.;)

Get a smaller/less powerfull bike to get back into things,and then after a while trade up/work your way upwards.

Simples.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

start with 2, and then when you feel you're ready, add another sparkplug etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,394 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

FFS. If you don't want the power of a Blade then don't buy one. If you do, then discipline the wrist, it won't go faster than you tell it to.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

kaimera wrote: »
    A power commander type of jobby?

Not sure if they can be programmed to lower the bhp tho

I was looking into that. I think you can set a rev limiter in them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Wossack wrote: »
    start with 2, and then when you feel you're ready, add another sparkplug etc

Made me lol.

Advertisement