Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballistic Apps. and 20 MOA rail

Options
  • 30-08-2013 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭

Lads I have down loaded the Strelok App to my phone (the free one) I will have the scope zeroed to 100 yards. My scope is FFP Milrad recital and Milrad Turrets. It looks a very useful App to have and use but My question is, my scope is mounted and with a 20 MOA rail at the back.

Will this have any effect on the answers I get from the App? and if so will the other one you can buy correct the difference if there is one.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

Nope that won't have any effect on the accuracy of the app. The only thing the rail does is puts your zero "higher" in the scopes adjustments. For example if your scope was zeroed on a normal rail and you had 50 clicks up and 50 clicks down. After putting on a 20 Moa rail your scope would be somewhere along the lines of 75 clicks up and 25 clicks down... Nothing exact there with them numbers just using them as examples.

If you want to chrono your rounds gimme a shout, it will make the app much more accurate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭German pointer

Thanks.

I will give you shout for that at least I will know what speed they are going but I would imagine that it will be fairly close to the speed stated on the box.

I am using Hornady 130gr SST Custom stated speed on box is 3060 fps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

You'd be surprised, all the rounds out of my .25-06 are well below what's stated on the box although my barrel is pretty short.

Your stalk not too far away from my area so for be afraid to gimme a shout!

I won't . it will be a while as I am a bit busy for the next week of three but I will take you up on it. Thanks again

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Will this have any effect on the answers I get from the App?
    As said above no.

Once the rifle is zeroed the Bal. Cal does not care how you got your zero only that you have it and enter what it is. All results will be from your 100 yard zero, and adjusts from that point on your scope.

As patsat said the only thing a 20, 30 etc. rail does is reduce the amount of elevation adjustment needed on your scope to get the required zero. On my target rifle i had a 27MOA elevation adjustment. When i mounted the 20 MOA rail it came down to 9 MOA. Remember that a 20 MOA may not always give you 20 MOA. The better the brand the closer it will give you to the number it is supposed to provide.
    .......... I would imagine that it will be fairly close to the speed stated on the box.
    Not even close in some instances.

One day on the range i decided to chrono the factory loads i had for my hunting rifle (had just finished checking my target roads i reloaded). I tested a few rounds through both my Sabvage, 24" barreled rifle and Remmy 24" barreled rifle. The Savaeg had a 1:10 twist and the Remmy 1:11.25 so i knew using both would give me a good set of variables.
    • The Federal 180 gr soft point were approx. 85fps slower than what was stated on the box.
    • The Hornady Superformance were 198fps FASTER than stated on the box (nearly 3,200 fps which is too fast for a round out of a 24" barrel).
    • The Lapua while the closest to their stated speed suffered from serious differences for maybe one round per box of 20 or two boxes of 40. I had one round that dropped by over 200fps compared to the others and it showed on paper with a couple of inch of a drop.
    • Hornady standard (brown box) and the TAP were slower than stated speed, but not by much and were the most consistent ammo.

It opened my eye to the fact that the majority of manufacturers seem to give a higher than actually achievable speed. However the one thing i could not replicate was the weather/atmospheric conditions. I'm shooting in Ireland, in a humid environment, at about 150 ft above sea level. Who knows where or in what conditions the manufacturers test their ammo and what effect it has on it.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement

Lads thanks for the answers and Patsat I will be on touch

Advertisement