Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death Cafe

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭Iano_128

Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Iano_128 wrote: »
    Why?

Why Im asking for advice? In case anyone here has experienced one as part of 'expanding their horizons' , I would very much value peoples experiences or comments, dont think there's harm in that, or maybe I misjudged the purpose of the forum? Apologies if so :)

Why am I excited? Because I think it is an area perhaps neglected somewhat and it seems to have gotten rather good feedback so far..

Any other whys?

Sorry my why was pretty unclear! My bad! My why was: I've never heard of death cafe's before, so when I saw this I looked them up and can't help but wonder why somebody would want to sit around and discuss death for a few hours, it seems like a pretty morbid and depressing way to spend an afternoon, why not have a life cafe where you all sit around and talk about how amazing life is instead?

Sorry my why was pretty unclear! My bad! My why was: I've never heard of death cafe's before, so when I saw this I looked them up and can't help but wonder why somebody would want to sit around and discuss death for a few hours, it seems like a pretty morbid and depressing way to spend an afternoon, why not have a life cafe where you all sit around and talk about how amazing life is instead?

Ha, I can see what youre saying. I can say that having worked in palliative and bereavement care it can actually be incredibly liberating to speak openly about death, dying, ritual, etc (again, very separate from a bereavement support group). It starts by normalising death; after all, it's something that we all have in common!

Im also part of the Action for Happiness group (ironically!) where yes, we do have small groups and meetings that celebrate life, living, giving, goal setting and charity etc but oddly enough death creeps into those conversations too! It's probably a lot to do with the concept of a 'good death'.

And there is cake, nom. I understand it's not for everyone, but it's sort of dusting off an taboo topic and having an open chat about it all.

Ha, I can see what youre saying. I can say that having worked in palliative and bereavement care it can actually be incredibly liberating to speak openly about death, dying, ritual, etc (again, very separate from a bereavement support group). It starts by normalising death; after all, it's something that we all have in common!

Im also part of the Action for Happiness group (ironically!) where yes, we do have small groups and meetings that celebrate life, living, giving, goal setting and charity etc but oddly enough death creeps into those conversations too! It's probably a lot to do with the concept of a 'good death'.

And there is cake, nom. I understand it's not for everyone, but it's sort of dusting off an taboo topic and having an open chat about it all.

Ah ok I get it a bit more now! What I had visualized in my head was a bunch of people sitting in a dark room with some candles all feeling very down about life talking about how death is coming for them etc! Yeah I suppose it is a very taboo topic and definitely not something that's openly discussed!

• Advertisement

Ah ok I get it a bit more now! What I had visualized in my head was a bunch of people sitting in a dark room with some candles all feeling very down about life talking about how death is coming for them etc! Yeah I suppose it is a very taboo topic and definitely not something that's openly discussed!

Hell no! I was thinking more like a sweet cafe with cakes and tea! Some have been held in parks, peoples homes, community halls, festical tents; endless possibiliies and not at all morbid and creepy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭shane9689

whats there to talk about? you die and thats it, theres no coming back, theres no going foreward. short convo if you ask me lol

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭FueledbyCoffee

I think it's a fantastic idea. After my Mam's illness and death, I found a lot of people telling me it was okay to talk but seemed like they were a bit uncomfortable when I was talking about her deterioration and her subsequent death.
    Then there would be the whole meeting strangers too who sometimes are easier to talk to and listen to as well. I think at this stage people who know me know I have had quite a few significant losses in a relatively short time and they are nearly afraid to mention death around me in case it upsets me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,325 ✭✭✭✭endacl

What kind of cake?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

I'd be interested in this sort of a group. and cake.

Any meetup groups like this around already ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement