Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying bathroom stuff in the north

• 30-08-2013 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I am looking into buying my sanitary ware in Northern Ireland. I have found a place with very competitive prices.
    I am building in the south. I am working direct labour.
    The company I am pricing at the moment say if I get my plumbers vat number they will not have to charge me vat as I am exporting the items from The uk to the south.
    Has anyone any experience of this

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

I am looking into buying my sanitary ware in Northern Ireland. I have found a place with very competitive prices.
    I am building in the south. I am working direct labour.
    The company I am pricing at the moment say if I get my plumbers vat number they will not have to charge me vat as I am exporting the items from The uk to the south.
    Has anyone any experience of this

A Plumber can purchase goods in the UK, and having supplies his ( valid ) VAT No. bring the items South, and not pay VAT in the UK.

He then charges the relevant VAT rate here in the South when he sells the items 23%, or if he supplies and fits 13.5%

The transaction will be reported by the Seller in UK, to HMRC, who will liase with Revenue here in South, who may follow up on the transaction to ensure the correct procedure has been followed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 James T aka Mr. James T

Fair play my plumber is sceptical but I think I can convince him. Thank you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

Correct me if I am wrong but
    If if the cost excluding VAT of the sanitaryware exceeds two-thirds of his total ex vat charge to you ; he needs to charge the whole amount at 23% VAT

• Registered Users Posts: 16 James T aka Mr. James T

Correct me if I am wrong but
    If if the cost excluding VAT of the sanitaryware exceeds two-thirds of his total ex vat charge to you ; he needs to charge the whole amount at 23% VAT

Not sure I get what you are saying there
    is the total as in labour along with pipes and fittings and all that jazz
    As in if my sanitary ware spend goes past 2/3 of that price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

Google 2/3 rule .

If the materials make up more than 2/3 of the total bill . (Labour and material)vat is at 23%. Plumber should know or maybe post in the taxation forum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

Google 2/3 rule .

If the materials make up more than 2/3 of the total bill . (Labour and material)vat is at 23%. Plumber should know or maybe post in the taxation forum

hell have to make a vat declaration, there used to be a part on the return for that for outside Ireland. Hell have to charge you VAT then to install, its not just a matter of avoiding Vat and its gone into the Ether, as soon as they get that vat number in the north, they send it to UK revenue, and a corresponding transaction would be made from UK revenue to Irish revenue to note the transaction. There is a full traciblity now.

Also check the uk fittings sizes versus Irish for plumbing...I know the irish providers love make sure they don't have the adapters in stock!.

Advertisement