Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Male or Female Golden Retriever

Options
  • 30-08-2013 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Does anyone have details of whether a male or female dog is best for kids. I know its very general but we're getting a golden retriever and wanted some info on pros and cons of each option. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I have both. :) The girls are definitely more vocal when the play but apart from that there's not that much difference so far between them compared to when the bigger guy was that age- she's 3 months and he's 4 years. It's actually funny seeing her doing the same movements etc as him with her being so small and him being so big! :p

Bear in mind as it's a large breed dog you're best not to neuter/spay too early ( ie at 6 month old like some vets will tell you) to avoid joint issues. So for a male you're looking at around 18 months and female at least one heat to be safe.

Males will technically bigger..but I've met females bigger than my male so really depends on the linage and what size the parents are.

Just to re-iterate from your other thread - goldens can be resource guarders and can be fearful especially if they've come from a crappy breeder. I would strongly suggest you pay the extra few hundred euro for a responsibly bred pup for the safety of your kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

It is really personal preference but having many dogs over the years here is what I've noticed.

Dogs

Larger size, more athletic
    Very affectionate & more playful
    More territorial
    Laid back
    Easier to compete with in competitions

Bitches

Somewhat independent & do things on their own terms
    Can be stubborn
    Temperamental especially if not spayed
    Sneaky :-)
    More reserved

All dogs are individuals though & spaying or neutering can make both sexes easier to manage. All of mine dogs & bitches have been fantastic with children.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

Knine just described my male and female dogs to a tee. :)

Advertisement