Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domain name due diligence

Options
  • 30-08-2013 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭

I'm close to purchasing a .com name that's been registered for around 10 years.

Can anyone recommend a good site to see if it's been blacklisted or penalised by Google etc.?

I'm using DomainTools to see the history etc., but would like to delve a bit deeper.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

I'm close to purchasing a .com name that's been registered for around 10 years.

Can anyone recommend a good site to see if it's been blacklisted or penalised by Google etc.?

I'm using DomainTools to see the history etc., but would like to delve a bit deeper.

Thanks in advance.
    You could always try the web archive ( www.archive.org ).

Does the registry data confirm that it has been continually registered for ten years without any drops?

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭D Hayes

Thanks for the suggestions.

According to Domain Tools, since 2003 it has had 2 registrars, 4 NS changes & 20 changes on 6 unique IPs.

To the best of my knowledge, it has just been a parked domain for the past 10 years.

I can't figure out if it's been dropped in that time frame, any suggestions on how to view this info?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Thanks for the suggestions.

According to Domain Tools, since 2003 it has had 2 registrars, 4 NS changes & 20 changes on 6 unique IPs.
    The NS changes might not mean much of if they are a super hoster like Godaddy (domaincontrol.com) or similar. If some of the nameservers are those of a PPC parking company then it might be ok too. What you should be looking for is a monthly bouncing between nameservers or IPs. Domaintools isn't very accurate on the raw nameserver data and often does not recognise secondary nameserver additions and deletions.
    I can't figure out if it's been dropped in that time frame, any suggestions on how to view this info?
    If the registration date of the domain is the same as the date shown by Domaintools, it should be ok. Are you using an ordinary Domaintools lookup or do you have a Domaintools account? There's generally more information available if you have an account.

2003 was bang in the middle of some of the biggest non domain tasting drops as many of the DotBomb domains had been registered for two years initially. It may have had history before 2003.

Regards...jmcc

Advertisement