Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on areas? Leixlip/Ratoath/Maynooth

Options
  • 30-08-2013 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I am looking for some advice on these 3 areas. We are looking for a family home and need to be able to commute into town by train. These areas seem comparable and have primary schools close by. The estate agents in the first 2 areas seem more reasonable than the only estate agent that seems to sell all homes in Maynooth. Rates are also seem more reasonable in Leixlip/Ratoath compared to Maynooth.

Any opinions as we are new to Ireland and have rented for a bit in town and are looking to move to a quite respectable neighborhood with green space for kids/good schools/train stations/library/community spirit

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Maynooth is a student town which would explain the differences in rental/purchase prices, especially at this time of year. Leixlip is fine. There are alot of estates and it doesn't suffer too much from anti social behaviour.
    The services are slightly lacking though so you would need a car for shopping/entertainment. There are 2 train stations, Louisa Bridge and Confey.
    I do not know much about Rathoath.
    For family and a quiet life I would go with Leixlip over Maynooth. Having said that Maynooth is a nicer town with more facilities. It is the same train that serves both and leaves you in Connolly which is the main reason I am not suggesting Celbridge as that train drops you in Heuston.
    You might consider Lucan aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,826 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There's well more than one estate agent selling in Maynooth, although there's one who are more willing than the others (it seems) to sell at the lower end of the market.

Ratoath has very few services and you'll need to drive to the train, and also change trains if you want to get to Connolly.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭jethrothe2nd

I live in Maynooth, and would highly recommend it. Good train link into Dublin, good choice of schools, and plenty of amenities. Tesco, Dunnes, Lidl, Adli and Supervalue all close by.

There are some residential areas that are heavily populated by students which would I would avoid (Beaufield springs to mind) but there are also plenty of mature estates with families.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 newresident

Thanks for your responses. So far, we've seen homes in Griffin Rath,Silkenvale, Castlepark, Moyglare - all same person and some talks of bids for Castlepark, which seemed excessive given the property situation. Are these student centric.

On Leixlip we've gone through Castletown, Rinwade, Riverforest and would hope to get some information, on other people's experience of these estates.

You are right, Ratoath is probably out as no train station-I'd assumed the Dunboyne station would work, but it's a good bit away.

Again thanks very much. Also does Leixlip and Maynooth have educate together schools - just curious - our baby isn't school age but we've been told by colleagues that the system here to put the name down long before they are school ready-

Maynooth has an Educate Together

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

You need to get names down at birth for schools in Maynooth except the all boys and all girls school so really only the educate together and the gaelscoil.
    We were too late (around 14 months so no local school)
    I love Maynooth and everything is within walking distance,there is also great public transport and it has a real town feel about it.
    I lived very near to ratoath but never in it and for us it jsut would not have been an option,there are not the same facilities or feeling of living in a country type town.
    Leixlip is a fine mature area and a bit nearer to Dublin but is very build up and just did not appeal to us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

I have lived in both towns and they are fairly similar, but I would favour Maynooth slightly. Leixlip is closer to Dublin by about 15 minutes if that is an issue. You will get a seat from Maynooth on the train, but more than likely be standing if you get on in Leixlip though! Maynooth obviously has the university which is a huge plus, and better pubs. Leixlip as a going out town is dead now really, very little choice. Leixlip has no real supermarket, just a super valu and a large eurospar. Both are fine though, probably depend on the house you get and the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

On Leixlip we've gone through Castletown, Rinwade, Riverforest and would hope to get some information, on other people's experience of these estates.
    Rinawade was built during the last 10 years, and thus is a modern enough build (boom time build), but I've always found the bedrooms to be somewhat small. There's a small Spar nearby it, but can be far away from the train station. Young estate, and thus lots of young families, but far enough from the schools.

Castletown was built around the 1970's, and has fairly large rooms compared to some of the other nearby estates. Mature estate, couple of young families, but very close to both the primary and secondary schools. Is next to a larger Spar shop, and the 66b starts nearby. It's closer to the train station.

River Forest; not sure when it was built, but probably around 1970 as well. Close to the schools, and it has a large Supervalue there, as well as an assortment of shops, as well as a library. It's close to the train station, and has a bus stop 66a nearby. A good walk to and from the 66, and is also up a large hill (when icy you should avoid this hill).

Both Castletown and Rinawade would be near the Castletown House which is a public access park, and next to the Wonderful Barn park (although Rinawade has a few "unofficial" entrances to it). The Wonderful Barn has a few plots that people rent out who living nearby to grow their own veg, etc.
    Riverforest is next to St Catherines Park which is another public access park.

There is a pub fairly near to the River Forest estate, and River Forest would be closer to the Leixlip vilage, but the hill is a lot steeper.

Any questions, ask away. Have lived in Leixlip for the guts of 31 years.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

If you intend bring up children in these areas- you're going to have severe issues getting school places- to say they're bursting at the seams, isn't far from accurate.

My own preference would be for Maynooth- over Leixlip and Ratoath. Rents may be lower in Leixlip and Ratoath- but neither would be as desireable an area as Maynooth.

The train is one aspect of all of this- Maynooth is the terminus for the line- and you will get a seat at peak time here- the same cannot be said for Leixlip or Ratoath.

Visit all three, have a look around- get a feel for the areas, and see what you like personally. I'd also suggest popping out at peak times and seeing what they're like too (don't drive if you can help it).

• Registered Users Posts: 3 newresident

@the_syco - Thanks v much for your detailed response and taking the time to give us your experience about each of the estates - very useful. Would it be ok to pm you for specific school related questions

@The_conductor -Thanks , are you implying that schools are full in all these areas or is it just Leixlip - Yes, will have to try and get to these areas by public transport

@bmwguy - great to get your perspective since you've lived in both the areas

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to respond - Maynooth does have a lot going for it, just working out a lot expensive - that's why leaning towards Leixlip a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,826 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Schools are full in all. The Catholic schools in Maynooth are acceptable (I attended one, as a non Catholic) but I'd prefer the ETNS.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

@the_syco - Thanks v much for your detailed response and taking the time to give us your experience about each of the estates - very useful. Would it be ok to pm you for specific school related questions
    Fire away.

@The_conductor -Thanks , are you implying that schools are full in all these areas or is it just Leixlip - Yes, will have to try and get to these areas by public transport.

Yes.
    The schools in 3 areas are swamped.
    You *need* to apply for a place ASAP- if you're even considering sending a child to school in one of these areas (aka- before you even decide which area).

Its far from unusual to have to travel 10-15 miles several towns away, to get a primary school .

This also applies to the Catholic schools- they're swamped too.

Quite a few Maynooth families are sending children to primary school in Kilcock and Dunshaughlin- Leixlip kids are trying to get places in the Boys National School in Lucan- and in Celbridge, and I'm friends with a few people in Ratoath- one family send their little girl to school in Ashbourne- the other their little guy to Dunboyne.

School places are a severe issue- I can't emphasise this sufficiently- you are going to have trouble getting a place- you *need* to sort it immediately.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I had to send my eldest to Dunboyne we did not get any local gaelcoil.
    In Leixlip you aply the christmas before,in maynooth and Kilcock at birth.
    The boys school and the girls school do have plenty of room though ,if they are on option for you.

This thread has me even more worried about school places.My little one is 19 months now - we put her name down in all the schools at birth, but have a real preference for Educate Together. I'm wondering now should we be putting her name down in surrounding areas as well....

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Lyn256

Its almost impossible to get into ED schools if you don't have your name down from birth.
    If you're ok with catholic schools, you're more likely to get a place if you live in the catchment area for the school even if you're not catholic.
    One of the reasons that we moved house was that I hadn't put my child's name down for the ED schools (Lucan) early enough. (They were the closest to where we lived)
    So we moved (rented) in the catchment area for a catholic school so we got our place-also catholic schools have a sibling policy so younger siblings are guaranteed their place whereas with ED's you need to get siblings names down from birth also.
    Where are you based workwise?? Might help suggestions for alternative locations.

Every school has its own sibling and enrollment policy including the educate together schools.

I think I had better take a day off next week..........

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

New legislation on schools enrollment means schools can only take names 11 months before start of school year
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0902/471615-school-admissions/

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    New legislation on schools enrollment means schools can only take names 11 months before start of school year
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0902/471615-school-admissions/

A lot of schools are already following this rule- and the sibling rules stay in place- the big difference is past pupils are only guaranteed 25% of places- and the schools aren't allowed charge holding deposits for places. Not a massive reform tbh.

• Advertisement

Seems to mean you don't need to (cannot) enroll at birth anymore though which was raised in respect to schools in Leixlip. The sibling rule makes sense. The past pupil rule is just cronyism imo.

Advertisement