Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4th + 5th years questions..

• 30-08-2013 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

im moving school.
    theres school A that dont do 4th year,
    school B have to do it and its a girls school.
    i dont really want to do 4th year but it seems to be the only school that
    have space.
    1. whats the benefits for 4th year?
    2.do 5th year do work experience (they dont have lcvp or lca )

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Rory McNicholas

I did 4th year in my school, Presentation College Headford. I didn't know what subjects I wanted to do in 5th year, I had a year to think about it in TY which was great.

Really it depends on the school; I got to take part in our schools musical, I did 2 weeks of work experience, we went to Petersburg Adventure Centre, spent 3 nights in Barcelona, and I got to do a lot of graphic design work which I wouldn't have time to do in 5th year; the poster for the musical, our schools magazine, stuff like that. It was a great year for me.

It's also about how much work you put into it, you can make use of the year or doss and do nothing.

As I understand, LCVP's do work experience and LCT's do not, you'll have to ask the school about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

You can do work experince at 5th year, but the school won't organise it or help you(depends on school). Just pop a cv to the place you want, and hopefully you'll get a small part-time job you can could work (free/min-wage) two days a week or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

JOJOGINS wrote: »
    im moving school.
    theres school A that dont do 4th year,
    school B have to do it and its a girls school.
    i dont really want to do 4th year but it seems to be the only school that
    have space.
    1. whats the benefits for 4th year?

thanks

Honestly you just need to decide yourself if you would like to do transition year ? think of everything

-you will be a year older, is this good for you / more time to think , more mature or bad for you, another year , older for college etc
    -you will gain alot of experience , it will be worth it or you won't do much and end up wasting time , this also leads to study, will you be able to get back into study after a relaxing year?

i absolutely loved 4th year but others didn't like it at all , its what you put into it that you will get out of it
    no i don't think any schools do work experience in fifth year , it would have to be at the weekends yourself

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Do you think you'll do good in 4th year? If you do, do it. It gives you a year to mature and have some fun.

Personally, I loved it. Some others put it no work at all, thought it would just be a doss and hated it.
    JOJOGINS wrote: »

No. It would be very unusual for schools to have work experience weeks in 5th year unless you're doing LCA or LCVP.
    You can do work experince at 5th year, but the school won't organise it or help you(depends on school). Just pop a cv to the place you want, and hopefully you'll get a small part-time job you can could work (free/min-wage) two days a week or so.

I would advise against doing that. Even missing one or two days in 5th year makes you a bit lost in some subjects, if not all. I've missed a week straight in 5th year due to health reasons and I spent many weeks after that catching up.

You can try to do it during the holidays if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭JOJOGINS

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    Do you think you'll do good in 4th year? If you do, do it. It gives you a year to mature and have some fun.

Personally, I loved it. Some others put it no work at all, thought it would just be a doss and hated it.

No. It would be very unusual for schools to have work experience weeks in 5th year unless you're doing LCA or LCVP.

I would advise against doing that. Even missing one or two days in 5th year makes you a bit lost in some subjects, if not all. I've missed a week straight in 5th year due to health reasons and I spent many weeks after that catching up.

You can try to do it during the holidays if you want.
    thanks,
    i personally HATE 4th year because if i did it,then when im in 5th year,
    my mates will be doing there leaving cert exam and it wont makes me feel good.
    thanks......i will try to look for part times.
    but what should i do? e.g : c.v ...who do i talk to ... etc?

• Advertisement
Advertisement