Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death to All tour The Academy Nov 27th

• 30-08-2013 12:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭

Does anyopne know what the deal is with the Death:Obscura tickets - they were supposed to be onsale from Tickets.ie and ticketmaster today but no sign yet.

Have also sent a tweet to Sound Celler to see if they have them.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

Have you contacted DME?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

Not yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Planemo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

Nice 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Too expensive IMO.

• Advertisement

It's the average price of a Metal gig in Dublin to be fair. 3 bands in The Academy for €27.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Passenger wrote: »
    It's the average price of a Metal gig in Dublin to be fair. 3 bands in The Academy for €27.

It isn't Death though.

Obscura only really have one song I love and the rest isn't anything worth writing home about. The bassist that I liked from Pestilence is gone too.

Steve DiGiorgio is playing and he's a massive bass-hero for me.

The price is still putting me off though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Morf wrote: »
    It isn't Death though.

Obscura only really have one song I love and the rest isn't anything worth writing home about. The bassist that I liked from Pestilence is gone too.

Don't go then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

Morf wrote: »
    It isn't Death though.

That's the point, it isn't meant to be Death.

It's a tribute to Schuldiner's legacy that has the blessing of his family and is being carried out by the three musicians that (IMO) best helped him realise his creative vision.

Regardless of how you feel about Obscura (and I'm gonna guess that song is 'Incarnated'?), they're a fairly big deal in the underground right now. If they played over here themselves you'd probably be paying at least €20 in to see them.

For me, I'm paying 27 quid to see 3/4 of my all time favourite album's line up blast it out in a setting I'd never thought I'd witness, my favourite drummer of all time (Reinart), and my favourite band of the last 15 years or so (Obscura), so they could be charging five times as much and I'd still think I was getting a good deal.

Each to their own though, I'm off into town to buy my ticket :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,090 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

27Euro is far from being too much. If anything it's cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

Just seen this today,Gonna get a ticket through tickets.ie later.Cynic were excellent with Opeth a few years ago so the Death stuff should sound great.

bradlente wrote: »
    Just seen this today,Gonna get a ticket through tickets.ie later.Cynic were excellent with Opeth a few years ago so the Death stuff should sound great.

Well the two main members of Cynic did play on (IMO) Death's best album!

Well the two main members of Cynic did play on (IMO) Death's best album!

I know but I sometimes expect shows to not really match up to the quality of the recorded stuff,There can be a ton of different layers and techniques etc. that are hard to match and play every show every other night. Reinert and Masvidal are probably two of the best musicians I've seen live.That Cynic/Opeth gig was the best Metal show I've been to.

bradlente wrote: »
    I know but I sometimes expect shows to not really match up to the quality of the recorded stuff,There can be a ton of different layers and techniques etc. that are hard to match and play every show every other night. Reinert and Masvidal are probably two of the best musicians I've seen live.That Cynic/Opeth gig was the best Metal show I've been to.

Yeah I know what you mean. The two Human tracks on 'Live In L.A.' translate to the setting well at least. I think my only reservation about the DTA gig is going to be how well Max Phelps will handle the vocals. Wouldn't be surprised if Stefan Kummerer ends up on stage with them (I keep forgetting Obscura are direct support at this gig, it's almost too much for me!).

I was actually tempted to leave that gig half way through Opeth's set, they absolutely paled in the live setting to Cynic (plus, I never thought I'd get to see Cynic in any shape or form, so was buzzing from that). I should point out that I'm a huge Opeth fan and had bought my ticket for that gig long before Cynic were added to the bill.

I'm a (really, really crap!) drummer myself, and Reinert is probably my all time favourite player, so getting to see him play some of his tracks from Human will be mind blowing. Plus, I've seen footage of Hoglan and Christy playing Reinert's work with Death, but understandably, not the other way round, so that's going to be interesting too.

It's amazing to listen to Human and Focus and realise all those lads involved were in their early 20s at most.

I actually left during Demon of the fall to get the last bus home!Opeth were good but Cynic were probably the best band I've seen live.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Bramabull81

Will they play much from the last 3 Death albums? They would get my money if they played Symbolic all the way through.

Well this is their most recent tour setlist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Waking-Dreams

Only 3 songs from Human? For a tour featuring three quarters of the line-up from that album, I would be expecting maybe 4 or 5 songs. No matter, it will still be an awesome event.

Advertisement