Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is it worth the hassle?

Options
  • 30-08-2013 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭

hi want to buy a new phone,prob xpreria or galaxy. and like the deals on the 48 network. can i buy the phone i like get someone to unlock it and then change over to 48, or does that sound to simple and is it too much hassle. thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

or buy an unlocked phone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭avfc1874

or buy an unlocked phone
    where or who would i buy one from

or buy an unlocked phone
    where or who would i buy one from

amazon, any phone vendor. just go to a non network shop.

amazon, any phone vendor. just go to a non network shop.
    thanks for advice,don't want to appear stupid,:rolleyes: but... i have never seen a non network shop, and could you trust, to buy one off amazon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭fleet

Amazon
    Expansys
    Ebay (carefully)
    DX.com (read the reviews, accept the import duty)

Any of the shops along Moore St. (Dublin)

Heck, even Powercity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

carphone warehouse!

avfc1874 wrote: »
    thanks for advice,don't want to appear stupid,:rolleyes: but... i have never seen a non network shop, and could you trust, to buy one off amazon.

yes, just choose a reputable seller.

moore street dublin for non network phone there are loads of shops there. and not just amazon online, there are plenty of sellers doing unbranded phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭rab!dmonkey

Mobileshop.eu

carphone warehouse!

would still be network locked tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

nope they sell sim free handsets also (unless thats changed). Anywway find a way and get a nexus 4..best phone by miles and its sim free

yes, just choose a reputable seller.

moore street dublin for non network phone there are loads of shops there. and not just amazon online, there are plenty of sellers doing unbranded phones.
    sorry for being a nuisance:o, but i've seen nokia xperia sim free in argos e87, galaxy y e65. if i bought one of these and got a 48 network sim, would the phone work thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

would still be network locked tho.

Some are but most are not , it's the luck of the draw , as far as cpw staff are concerned they are locked, if you get a SIM free one, good for you.

avfc1874 wrote: »
    sorry for being a nuisance:o, but i've seen nokia xperia sim free in argos e87, galaxy y e65. if i bought one of these and got a 48 network sim, would the phone work thanks

if its not locked to a network then any sim will work.
    Sim free means will take any sim.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭rab!dmonkey

Is there any way to find out if a phone is locked without trying out SIMs from a different network?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Well, OP, I'm selling my Sony Xperia S handset as I have got a work phone. I'm selling it for far less than I paid, along with accessories, and fully unlocked.

PM for details. You can see that I'm active on Boards and (hopefully seem) reputable.

Advertisement