Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU wonder why West infrastructure is being ignored

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

robd wrote: »
    The article is mis-leading. It says West of Ireland when really it means only Connaught. There is no case for rail in Connaught, it doesn't have the population density nor will it.

With regard to the Atlantic Corridor (a dual carriageway/motorway), the section that is most important is Cork to Limerick. I don't think EU funding covers this region as it's not part of BMW, but I could be wrong. This section is at least a decade off being built. The section North of Galway is irrelevant until this section is built. It's about priority.

%s/Connaught/Connacht/g

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭robd

dubhthach wrote: »
    %s/Connaught/Connacht/g

;)

Regex back at ya !!!

Excuse my West Brit spelling.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

The article is mis-leading. It says West of Ireland when really it means only Connaught. There is no case for rail in Connaught, it doesn't have the population density nor will it.

With regard to the Atlantic Corridor (a dual carriageway/motorway), the section that is most important is Cork to Limerick.

Neither Limerick nor Clare are "West" but rather "South West" (not my classifications btw). Wrt the A.C. N/M20 is only currently important to Cork & Limerick if we look at it from a West POV. Air traffic goes through Shannon, Knock or Dublin, sea traffic is mostly Dublin.

I don't think EU funding covers this region as it's not part of BMW, but I could be wrong.

This is correct. BMW is Connacht, the 3 Ulster counties, Louth, Longford, Westmeath & Laois.
    The section North of Galway is irrelevant until this section is built. It's about priority.

It's very relevant to the existing traffic use patterns in the west. Whether we like it or not, it's still far easier to get to Dublin than Cork.

But that's not to say that we don't need N/M20 or N/M25 if and when they are built because we also need to get away from the Dublin centric model.

Do we build the bit that will give more of the west better access to where they are already going, or deny them that to build them something else (e.g. 20/25) that won't be of use to them for years (until the connecting sections are built)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

With regard to the Atlantic Corridor (a dual carriageway/motorway), the section that is most important is Cork to Limerick. I don't think EU funding covers this region as it's not part of BMW, but I could be wrong. This section is at least a decade off being built. The section North of Galway is irrelevant until this section is built. It's about priority.

Oh right. So you are advocating terminating train services at Athlone and Longford as well as North of Ennis. Thanks for that clarification.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭robd

Banjoxed wrote: »
    Oh right. So you are advocating terminating train services at Athlone and Longford as well as North of Ennis. Thanks for that clarification.

This is the reason I don't really do boards.ie anymore. My post refers to priorities for investment in infrastructure not current train services. Interpret as you wish !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dowlingm

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/meetdocs/2009_2014/documents/peti/cm/929/929973/929973en.pdf
    The Commission is of the view that it is primarily the responsibility of the Irish authorities to establish the location and prioritisation of investments in public transport infrastructure. In doing so, the Irish authorities are bound to take account of the results of cost-benefit analysis and the nature of socio-economic impacts deriving from such investments. Furthermore theIrish authorities are obliged to respect the various provisions and procedures relating to the granting of planning permission, and these include public consultation in appropriate cases.

Should such national procedures or provisions have been breached or disregarded, a case might be brought before the competent courts of law and/or administrative tribunals in Ireland.

dowlingm wrote: »

The road scheme with the best CBA in the country is in Co Galway, meanwhile a whole list of other projects in the east and southeast get the go ahead before it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dowlingm

antoobrien wrote: »
    The road scheme with the best CBA in the country is in Co Galway, meanwhile a whole list of other projects in the east and southeast get the go ahead before it.
    Source?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

It is very satisfying to see WoT getting fobbed off like that.

Source?

If you haven't heard of it at this stage......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

If you haven't heard of it at this stage......
    Me neither so can you please enlighten me?

On a side issue when did they start to replace the roundabouts at the Galway Shopping centre with lights?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,638 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Me neither so can you please enlighten me?

On a side issue when did they start to replace the roundabouts at the Galway Shopping centre with lights?

March or April i think

• Registered Users Posts: 9,473 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Are you talking about the planned M17? if so I severely doubt that's accurate. Tuam is the only significant settlement it serves and Tuam has a population of 9,000, even if they ALL had a car and drove on it, it will still be a lightly trafficed, at best, road. It's more likely that the M50 upgrade has the highest CBA or perhaps the Newland's X upgrade.

cgcsb wrote: »
    Are you talking about the planned M17? if so I severely doubt that's accurate.

Nope

• Registered Users Posts: 9,473 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Nope

The now completed M6? tell us, oh wise one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

I imagine he means the Galway City outer bypass.
    But it's not funding that is holding it up.

dloob wrote: »
    I imagine he means the Galway City outer bypass.
    But it's not funding that is holding it up.

Somebody finally got it.

No it's not funding but interference from government departments (the route was selected in 2001 but extra SACs were designated across the route several years later) that's causing they delay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

That particular environment was what it was prior to the SAC designation. It's kind of like the way Obama was black before he became POTUS.

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    That particular environment was what it was prior to the SAC designation.

Not (exactly) accurate, the NHA in Moycullen was (and ABP rejected this portion specifically because of this). The Eastern environments were proposed for protected status after route selection.

Advertisement