Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart phone

Options
  • 30-08-2013 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭

Missus looking for basic smart phone ... Reliable ...
    Just to :

Use viper
    Facebook
    Email - send / recieve.

Make - take calls.

Nothing fancy ... Any ideas - suggestions
    - appreciated

*** is hullomail available on windows phone

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

From the sticky
    Tom Dunne wrote: »
    We get a lot of threads asking for phone recommendations on this forum. And that's what it is for.

However, some threads simply ask "What's the best phone" or "Is phone X better than phone Y".

As Einstein might say, it's all relative.

So, when asking for a phone recommendations, help us to help you. To get a good recommendation, we will need the following information at a minimum:

• What features are important to you in a phone? (i.e. camera, gps, FM radio, Stereo Bluetooth)
    • Form factor - i.e. touchscreen, slider, flip phone, etc.
    • Internet - is 3G/mobile internet important, or WiFi/EDGE
    • Operator - have you an operator preference
    • Pre-pay/Bill-pay/SIM-Free - have you a preference for either
    • Price range

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

Davy wrote: »
    From the sticky

Bog standard as per post ... Sim free preferred.

Got a pm from a guy offering me phones that he says he has in done deal.

How do I know they are not stolen blacklisted ?
    Thks

Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

If you want a basic smart phone get a Windows Phone 8 one. Basic Androids are terrible.

Something like the Nokia Lumia 620 is very good.

mad muffin wrote: »
    If you want a basic smart phone get a Windows Phone 8 one. Basic Androids are terrible.

Something like the Nokia Lumia 620 is very good.

Thks so much. I am just watching a you tue review of the lumia 520 I'm very impressed ! For an android xcover Samsung recently very disappointed ..

I am with 3 at mo rolling 20 euro a month contract which suits the iPhone I have friends that are on 3 so I kinda wanna stay with 3 .... Would you happen to know where I would pick up the cheapest lumia 520? Sim free I suppose ... Might get one tomorrow or on line ... Thks

Paddy

Ps sat nav is major requirement I need !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

Thks so much. I am just watching a you tue review of the lumia 520 I'm very impressed ! For an android xcover Samsung recently very disappointed ..

I am with 3 at mo rolling 20 euro a month contract which suits the iPhone I have friends that are on 3 so I kinda wanna stay with 3 .... Would you happen to know where I would pick up the cheapest lumia 520? Sim free I suppose ... Might get one tomorrow or on line ... Thks

Paddy

Ps sat nav is major requirement I need !

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/13439452/art/nokia/lumia-620-unlocked-yellow.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Stormington

Basic Androids are terrible.
    That's true to an extent but not for all of them.

€99 from emobile gets you a Huawei y300. It'll do everything you need it to on your list. More importantly, you can get it unlocked for anywhere between €2 and €6 online. It's a Droid and one of the only ones I'd recommend for under €150 brand new. I have one myself and went from a Sony Xperia P (€400 when they were first released...) and I'm very impressed with the Huawei so far.

Windows Phones are alright and their cheap ones tend to be much better performers than cheap Droids. They do suffer from a lack of apps (by comparison to the other platforms) but they're getting there. I'd echo the Lumia 620 (ignore the 520 unless you really can't spring for the extra €50). Pretend the HTC 8s doesn't exist, btw.

HOpe that helps.

That's true to an extent but not for all of them.

€99 from emobile gets you a Huawei y300. It'll do everything you need it to on your list. More importantly, you can get it unlocked for anywhere between €2 and €6 online. It's a Droid and one of the only ones I'd recommend for under €150 brand new. I have one myself and went from a Sony Xperia P (€400 when they were first released...) and I'm very impressed with the Huawei so far.

Windows Phones are alright and their cheap ones tend to be much better performers than cheap Droids. They do suffer from a lack of apps (by comparison to the other platforms) but they're getting there. I'd echo the Lumia 620 (ignore the 520 unless you really can't spring for the extra €50). Pretend the HTC 8s doesn't exist, btw.

HOpe that helps.

Ok thank a lot will google that one!
    I really use sat nav a lot I found Nokia best for off line ... That's what's pushing me to lumia ... I need viber too other than that I'm not fussy thks I thought 520 was around 130 e

All the reviews say they the Internet is very slow .. Downer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I'd definitely get the 620 over the 520. Better screen, front facing camera and flash on the back.

Also the 520 is limited when it comes to here drive+ too. You only get a licence for one country. 620 gets you the unlimited worldwide maps.

Advertisement