Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M9 Motorway Service Area at J7 Paulstown?

Options
  • 30-08-2013 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭

I see on the Non-Official, Offline Motorway Services in ireland thread there's an application in for a service area at J7 Paulstown.

"for the development of a Motorway Service Area to include vehicle fuelling station with 12 no. bays as well as HGV fuelling station with 2 no. bays. A part single storey part two storey services building with a total floor area of 1350m2 including convenience store (347m2), food court (333m2) with 2 no. food outlets including takeaway / drive through restaurant and associated services at ground floor as well as first floor offices and plant room (286m2) along with external dining area and all associated carparking spaces (119 no.) and HGV parking spaces (12 no.), new access from the M9 link road (R912) and new access to the R712, as well as 2 no. totem signs along with all associated site developments works"

Looks like a serious services area. Seems like a good idea to me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

It won't happen because this is Ireland we don't do sensible things. Someone will object with some stupid reason and it will be blocked.

It is a good idea it's silly that outside of Dublin there is no service stops on the motorways.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Heard there's another one in planning nearby in Carlow off the M9. Not sure there'd be enough business for 2 closeby.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭redtelephone

road_high wrote: »
    Heard there's another one in planning nearby in Carlow off the M9. Not sure there'd be enough business for 2 closeby.

Did some searching and apparently the J5 Carlow service area application hasn't yet appeared on the Carlow Co Co website, but there's apparently a sign erected at J5 and a notice in the paper. In the end I suppose the NRA will decide which (if any of them) gets the go-ahead. I think there's an online service area earmarked somewhere between J6 and J7, so I suppose if that gets the green light neither of the private applications will be allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,559 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

S28382 wrote: »
    It won't happen because this is Ireland we don't do sensible things. Someone will object with some stupid reason and it will be blocked.

It is a good idea it's silly that outside of Dublin there is no service stops on the motorways.

Their are service stations outside of Dublin.
    M7 Monasterevin at Junction 14.
    M8 Cashel at Junction Junction 8.
    M4 Enfield at Junction 9 & 10.
    M1 Lusk services, Balbriggan services and Castlebellingham services.

So don't say it won't happen, It might!

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

hopefully this will get built sooner rather than later, be handy to have some where to fill up just off the M9

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭king size mars bar

This would be great idea for motorway users and locals. Hope it happens

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭$kilkenny

linny wrote: »
    hopefully this will get built sooner rather than later, be handy to have some where to fill up just off the M9

Knocktopher???? Junction 10 I think? Its just off the motor way, these things need to be on the motor way like the ones just outside dublin. Could never understand why there was 4 or 5 just outside dublin, then theres not a single petrol station between dublin and waterford on the motorway, surely theres enough business for one somewhere in kilkenny. Dont get me started with the layout of these stupid pull in areas......
    Always thought the pull in area beside stoneyford would have been a good spot for a petrol station, even a small one with a small shop and toilets.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

$kilkenny wrote: »
    Knocktopher???? Junction 10 I think? Its just off the motor way, these things need to be on the motor way like the ones just outside dublin. Could never understand why there was 4 or 5 just outside dublin, then theres not a single petrol station between dublin and waterford on the motorway, surely theres enough business for one somewhere in kilkenny. Dont get me started with the layout of these stupid pull in areas......
    Always thought the pull in area beside stoneyford would have been a good spot for a petrol station, even a small one with a small shop and toilets.

11 is Knocktopher. Yeah there's a station a minute off the motorway there.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

11 is Knocktopher. Yeah there's a station a minute off the motorway there.

10 is knocktopher. Mulinavat is 11 which is considered the last exit and then there is the end of the motorway at Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭$kilkenny

Thabks guys! :)
    Either way knocktopher is still the closest petrol station to the m9 as far as I know. Surely theres enough business on the motor for a small station in north kilkenny somewhere.

• Advertisement

Any update on this guys?

Any update on this guys?

Kilkenny coco have requested Further Information, so god knows how long it can drag out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Topaz are applying for a service station at junction 5 in Carlow (N80).
    Paulstown is junction 7 so I doubt both will get the go ahead.
    http://www.thejournal.ie/jobs-motorway-topaz-1108710-Oct2013/

hi5 wrote: »
    Topaz are applying for a service station at junction 5 in Carlow (N80).
    Paulstown is junction 7 so I doubt both will get the go ahead.
    http://www.thejournal.ie/jobs-motorway-topaz-1108710-Oct2013/

They're hardly 10 mins apart from eachother plus J5 makes more sense as it catches N80 as well. Are they both Topaz though?

They're hardly 10 mins apart from eachother plus J5 makes more sense as it catches N80 as well. Are they both Topaz though?
    The J7 Paulstown one is from a private developer.

The J7 Paulstown one is from a private developer.

The J5 one is too though, Topaz. Is there NRA involvement?

The J5 one is too though, Topaz. Is there NRA involvement?
    Sorry, I should have said a local businessman, as opposed to a large company. The NRA are not involved in any of these proposals, but they have to be consulted and I'd imagine their opinion would carry a lot of weight. They have just issued an updated policy document on Motorway Service Areas.

http://www.nra.ie/policy-publications/general-publications/motorway-service-areas/Motorway-Service-Areas-Oct2013.pdf

Kilkenny coco have requested Further Information, so god knows how long it can drag out

The application for this Applegreen services has been withdrawn as the further information wasn't submitted.

http://idocsweb.kilkennycoco.ie/ViewFiles.aspx?docid=216251&format=djvu

shame really I see the one planned at urlingford on the m8 has also been refused

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Southern Belle

shame really I see the one planned at urlingford on the m8 has also been refused

There's a huge one at Moneygall - The Obama Plaza under construction - great for motorists, not so much for small towns close to motorways that have already been by-passed

• Advertisement

According to KK People this has been successfully appealed to An Bord Pleannala and seems to be going ahead via a local developer. Apparently fts in with NRA policy of services 50km apart, next one in Kilcullen which is under construction.

Was in Urlingford last week and there's one town that has been hammered by the bypass. Empty shops everywhere and Josephines/Applegreen which was a landmark on the old Cork/Dublin road is all boarded up/closed. Somebody locally needed to move with the times promptly and develop something at the M8 junction but now it appears it's been leapfrogged by other towns such as Ballacolla and Cashel, hence no real need to have a stop so close to those two.

According to KK People this has been successfully appealed to An Bord Pleannala and seems to be going ahead via a local developer. Apparently fts in with NRA policy of services 50km apart, next one in Kilcullen which is under construction.

Its good to see this going ahead, employment in construction and then permanent staff jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭mountcisco

hi5 wrote: »
    Its good to see this going ahead, employment in construction and then permanent staff jobs.

Yea it's great, can't believe that KK county council refused it and the guy had to go to Bord Pleanala. Like why would they refuse a 40 job development? Totally incompetent.

mountcisco wrote: »
    Yea it's great, can't believe that KK county council refused it and the guy had to go to Bord Pleanala. Like why would they refuse a 40 job development? Totally incompetent.

.....And gladly see the rates and jobs go to next door Carlow where a similar services has been planned at J5 of the M9. This is the kind of brain dead thinking kilkenny co co revel in. Instead of maybe sitting down with the developer and perhaps addressing concerns they just rejected the whole proposal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭wallywhittle

Can confirm that planning permission has been granted for a large topaz filling station at the mullinavat junction complete with a supervalu supermarket and a travel lodge hotel.

Can confirm that planning permission has been granted for a large topaz filling station at the mullinavat junction complete with a supervalu supermarket and a travel lodge hotel.

Seriously? Didn't even know that was in the pipeline tbh.

Topaz will undoubtedly build where they wish with Denis O'Briens influence over the government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭wallywhittle

Seriously? Didn't even know that was in the pipeline tbh.

It has also been confirmed that a 90000 seater stadium has also got the go ahead on the same site. Exciting times in south kilkenny.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

It has also been confirmed that a 90000 seater stadium has also got the go ahead on the same site. Exciting times in south kilkenny.

Great contribution there, please don't post in this forum again unless you've something positive to contribute.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Advertisement