Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M9 Motorway Service Area at J7 Paulstown?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

road_high wrote: »
    And Kilkenny coco tried to block this remember...

Friends in high places,
    I'd say neither the petrol stations in Kilkenny nor McDonalds are too happy about it being built, they will lose business from the motorway. No question about it.

Still, thats not valid enough reason to block it.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

Ya this will be so handy when it opens. Pain in the ass having to go get diesel before ya get on the motorway. It will be so convenient for kilkenny and Waterford traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Cabaal wrote: »
    Friends in high places,
    I'd say neither the petrol stations in Kilkenny nor McDonalds are too happy about it being built, they will lose business from the motorway. No question about it.

Still, thats not valid enough reason to block it.

It's surely not. Hardly anyone using the M9 comes all the way off and into KK to get fuel and/or McDonalds unless desperate. Motorway services are just that and when are they are not located beside the road they serve they ain't services! This is just progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

See recruitment has started here:

http://kclr96fm.com/job/paulstown-applegreen-jobs/

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

Ya was on the kilkenny people this week too. Going to be Applegreen, The bakewell, Burgerking, Costa, subway, and a chopsticks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Was talking to a BK Employee in their Carlow outlet this evening; he said he's getting transferred across to Paulstown; says it's opening Saturday the 5th of December; the Carlow BK opened at a similar time pre-Christmas last year too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

I reckon the very dry weather over the past few weeks has allowed them get way ahead of schedule. Originally the plan was early January.

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    Was talking to a BK Employee in their Carlow outlet this evening; he said he's getting transferred across to Paulstown; says it's opening Saturday the 5th of December; the Carlow BK opened at a similar time pre-Christmas last year too.

Assume it doesn't affect the Carlow branch and that'll be staying open as normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Rega

Opened today

Rega wrote: »
    Opened today

Go way? That was quick!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

Rega wrote: »
    Opened today

Have we got a BurgerKing in Kilkenny?!....Finally...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

kikel wrote: »
    That is just plain stupid...why have two motorway service stations so close with another one just below kilcullan as well..

DoB has to be behind this as part of his sale of topaz...Ireland will soon be known as having more service stations per km than anywhere in europe/ the world...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

pegasus1 wrote: »
    That is just plain stupid...why have two motorway service stations so close with another one just below kilcullan as well..

DoB has to be behind this as part of his sale of topaz...Ireland will soon be known as having more service stations per km than anywhere in europe/ the world...

Leaving out the DoB comment. I do believe, it is bad planning. I travel that road on a regular basis. I don't think there is any need for all these service stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

It's 60km from Paulstown to Kilcullen, there's going to be 3 service stations. Ridiculous. There's only 2 online service stations needed between Waterford and Naas. Paulstown will be the biggest loser when Carlow and Kilcullen open imo.

It's 60km from Paulstown to Kilcullen, there's going to be 3 service stations. Ridiculous. There's only 2 online service stations needed between Waterford and Naas. Paulstown will be the biggest loser when Carlow and Kilcullen open imo.

Ideally there should have been one at Kilcullen and another around Kilkenny. Typical Irish planning, a feast or famine effort. Nothing on the M9 for 5 years, now 3 coming along at once, all within 60 km. Paulstown is about halfway between Naas and Waterford so not the worst location either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Ideally there should have been one at Kilcullen and another around Kilkenny. Typical Irish planning, a feast or famine effort. Nothing on the M9 for 5 years, now 3 coming along at once, all within 60 km. Paulstown is about halfway between Naas and Waterford so not the worst location either.

Paulstown isn't visible from the motorway which is a big problem. They will rely mostly on traffic from Waterford side as majority of people coming southbound will use Carlow or Kilcullen as they are online, therefore visible.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

I don't see them as catering for the same market. Online services at Kilcullen are aimed primarily at motorway traffic, I doubt many locals are going to go out of their way to fill up there.
    The offline services planned for Carlow one is on the N80 which carries a lot of traffic between the midlands and Wexford/Rosslare and that's where I see them getting much of their business. It's probably one of the few places on that route that will have truck parking.
    http://www.eplanning.ie/CarlowCC/AppFileRefDetails/14342/0

Paulstown isn't visible from the motorway which is a big problem. They will rely mostly on traffic from Waterford side as majority of people coming southbound will use Carlow or Kilcullen as they are online, therefore visible.

Northbound there is no signage or advertising yet, they need to address that. There is on the southbound side.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭kkapp

I was speaking with the manager in the Paulstown services last week and they have opened a month ahead of schedule. The are using this time as a soft launch to get all the staff etc used to what needs to be done and the new building. They will erect motorway signage in the Jan prior to the official opening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

kkapp wrote: »
    I was speaking with the manager in the Paulstown services last week and they have opened a month ahead of schedule. The are using this time as a soft launch to get all the staff etc used to what needs to be done and the new building. They will erect motorway signage in the Jan prior to the official opening.

is it open now?

Bowlardo wrote: »
    is it open now?
    It is!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I wonder if it have any impact on the mcdonalds on the ringroad? Why stop there when you can get your fast food and petrol in one go on the way to Dublin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

catbear wrote: »
    I wonder if it have any impact on the mcdonalds on the ringroad? Why stop there when you can get your fast food and petrol in one go on the way to Dublin!
    Many McDonalds customers despise Burger King and vice versa

Funny as it sounds it's kind of like a Man Utd and Liverpool thing !

Its not just burgerking in paulstown, there is subway, bakewell and costa!!

pegasus1 wrote: »
    Its not just burgerking in paulstown, there is subway, bakewell and costa!!
    Wow, that's sounds perfect for the trip to da big smoke.

None if at all. McDonalds serves mainly local and some traffic off the Kilkenny ring road.

None if at all. McDonalds serves mainly local and some traffic off the Kilkenny ring road.
    The only time I go there is if I'm making airport run and if I'm low on fuel I'll head to the old dublin road too but now with the paulstown service stop I can kill two birds with one stone.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Dropped into the new service station the other night on way back from Dublin and gota say I was impressed.
    Loads of space which was great to see, but lack of signs on the M9 still as the only mention of any services is Service station 24hours.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I drive to Dublin a lot and I have a routine. I get petrol and coffee in town as I like to have a straight run but on the way back I do stop in Kill for coffee. I love BK and I would head out there for it.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Advertisement