Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tay's Study Log - 2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 306 ✭✭A7XGirl

I forgot to update this yesterday, but yes I am still working whether or not I update.
    Biology - The Lymphatic System
    Chemistry - Chemical Equilibrium
    French - Sport short opinion piece
    Irish - An Lasair Choille 'Lack of freedom' question. Sraith pictuir 20.
    Maths - The trapezoidal rule and question in the exam paper

I had a home Ec test today on HACCP, Elective 3: Education, Marriage and Consumer studies so I'll see how that goes tomorrow.

Biology - The Senses: The Ear and The Skin
    Chemistry: The Mole and The Gas Laws
    Irish: Sraith Pictiur 11 and I done 15 minutes of listening
    French: 20 minutes listening - 2010

I didn't do much today, but oh well. I'll probably do some practice French and Irish oral work before I go to sleep.

Biology - The Senses: Ears, Skin, Eyes
    English - Question on W.B Yeats, I wrote four pages and a half so I'm delighted with that. I'm gonna do Macbeth themes in a while.
    French - Oral
    Irish - Reading comprehension
    Maths - Sequences and Simultaneous Equations.

Oh how I hope I get my first choice.

English - Macbeth character and themes.
    Chemistry - Calculations
    Irish - Oral and some essay vocab.
    Home Ec - Meat, Coeliac Disease, Obesity, Carbohydrates, Cholesterol.

I find it impossible to learn things off by heart, so I'm basically screwed for Irish, French and English quotes. All I can do is repeatedly look at them and pray they stick to my stupid brain :/
    It still likes I'm doing barely anything, maybe it's time to turn the tv off while studying.

Biology - Human Digestion
    French - Oral, revision of fashion vocab.
    Irish - Essay vocab
    Maths - The Circle
    Home Ec - Protein, Fish, Eggs, Food Safety.

I'm planning on learning 6 Irish and French vocab every day from now on.
    Oh how tempting the mocks spoiler thread is. I've sworn not to go near it and I'm sticking to it. I want to work towards a real result. By using spoilers, I'll only be fooling myself.

Sorry for disturbing the log but you're probably the most dedicated student I've ever seen!! Really hope you do well, you deserve it!

Sorry for disturbing the log but you're probably the most dedicated student I've ever seen!! Really hope you do well, you deserve it!
    Thank you very much, I really appreciate it :)

I did some work yesterday, not too much as my back is continuously aching and not to mention my iPod just broke so there goes all my quick handy notes. I'll be getting it fixed soon, so until then, I'll have to roll with the punches.

I might not be able to update in the next few days, but I'll post what I'm planning on doing.

Biology; DNA, RNA, DNA Replication etc. Ecology, full chapter and possibly start on plants on Sunday or Monday.
    Chemistry; Stoicheomitry(?), Moles, Oxidation and Reduction and some exam paper questions.
    Home Ec; The whole food section.
    English; Macbeth characters and themes, Sive revision, Elizabeth Bishop and Seamus Heaney.
    French; Verbs, Vocab, Reading comprehensions, listening.
    Irish; Verbs, Vocab, Colscaradh, Dis, An Lasair Choille, listening.
    Maths; More emphasis on paper 2.

Thats what I plan to do over the next 7 days or so, right up until the mocks. At this point I'll be happy with 350 points. I'm gonna take tomorrow off school as my back is still aching and I feel I get more done at home. That's all for the next few days.

Over the past few days;
    English - Seamus Heaney and Elizabeth Bishop.
    French - Vocab, aural, essay writing on volunteering.
    Chemistry - Organic Chemistry and Atomic Matter
    Biology- Respiration, DNA, Genetics, Photosynthesis.
    Home Ec - Adolescent diet, elderly diet and fruit and veg.

Feeling unmotivated again thanks to Maths. 🌚

Maths - The Circle, Statistics.
    French - 15 minutes listening and oral work for 45 mins.
    Chemistry - Organic Chemistry and Ethene experiment
    Biology - Germination experiment.
    Home Ec - Unemployment.

Exhausted. Just exhausted.

• Advertisement

English - Casablanca Vision and Viewpoint
    Chemistry - Calculations
    Maths - Mean, Mode, Median
    Biology - General ecology
    French - Oral and diary entry
    Irish - Oral

I can barely keep my eyes open, I'm going to bed.

I've been too lazy to post, so I thought I might as well update.
    English - Seamus Heaney, Macbeth themes and characters.
    Biology - Scientific Method, Structure of plants, IAA experiment
    Chemistry - Mole
    French - Listened to some audio tapes if that counts, also had a pre-mock oral last Friday. I really need to work on my pronunciation.
    Irish - Had a mock oral on Thursday, need to work on being natural.
    Home Ec - I've done absolutely nothing for this.
    Maths - Leaf diagram, statistics etc.

Biology - Unit 1
    French - Grammar and vocab
    Home Ec - Education
    Chemistry - 10mins radioactivity, then I got bored.
    Irish - Dis
    Maths -Trigonometry

Biology - Unit 2
    Irish - Listening and essay plan.
    English - Lady Macbeth and Banquo, start Elizabeth Bishop.
    French - Present tense grammar and reading comprehension.
    -Break-
    Maths - Area and Volume (Starting now)
    Chemistry - Exam paper questions.
    -Lunch-
    Home Ec - Family and Unemployment
    Extras:
    Finish ecology - Uncompleted
    Write out a sraith pictiur - Completed
    Do more chemistry - Uncompleted

Biology - Human Biology
    Irish - Listening
    French - Oral
    Maths - Probabilities
    English - Macbeth and started Elizabeth Bishop
    Home Ec - Marriage, Family, Bacteria

Mocks start in 3 days and I've never felt so unprepared in my life. I might as well suck it up and continue to try my best. It will all be worth it in a few months.
    I'm too tired to list what I done, since I done barely anything. But oh well, there's always tomorrow.

Barely anything done today, why is Sims 3 so amusing?
    So I basically have 2 days to revise the Home Ec course for Monday.
    I'm not going to start stressing over the exams at this point, I just have to remember, 'Life goes on after the exams'.

Mocks tomorrow and I have suddenly adapted this 'Meh' attitude. Ironically, I still revised Home Ec today. :o
    So English P1 and Home Ec tomorrow. I'm not worried that much for English, but we'll see how it goes. 100 days left, 'LET THE GAMES, COMMENCE.'

English P1 and Home Ec completed.
    English, not too bad, I managed to write some random story of some guy who bursts into flames when near a lighter, but in his past: He used to a pyromaniac and got into lots of trouble and was sent to this institute for pyromaniacs. Then his old best friend shows up, tells him theres a bomb in his house, he runs to save his brother only to remember that he has jury duty and he dies. I wonder if that count as a courageous act? I'm honestly laughing just thinking about my rubbish story. I never even got a chance to label it, lets see if she'll figure it out. :P
    Home Ec- Started off panicking as I knew f-all, but then I calmed down and got quite a lot done. I didn't know 1/3 of the short questions, but I guessed as hard as I could hahaha. Long questions, there were a few odd bits but I still attempted it. I had an hour left and done 2 extra questions, just in case. Elective 3 section was just a bluff parade. Now thinking about it, my exams were pretty hilarious today. But it's over with, time to forget and move on.

Irish P1 tomorrow, I'm terrible at Irish so we'll see how this goes.

• Advertisement

Irish essay and listening done!
    I was surprised that I got 3 and a half pages written. But one thing I'm certain is that I made plenty of mistakes. That's what I have to work on. Now listening, wow. This is the first time in 4 years that I've attempted all questions. I can really see that I'm improving and that's what this is all about to me. As long as I leave secondary school knowing that I'm capable of working hard and improving, I'll be pleased.
    Tomorrow is French, I'm not dreading it, but I'm not looking forward to it either.
    I've been playing computer games since 12pm, so it's nobody's fault but mine.

Dreadful French listening today, I'll be happy with 10/80 at this point. Other than that, the paper was pretty okay. I answered everything and looked over as much as I could. I'm still quite irritated by the listening, but oh well, more room for improvement I guess. Hopefully my mock oral next week brings me up.
    Maths P1 tomorrow, to others this will be a delight, I'm the kind of person that finds prime numbers difficult. I'll be finished at 11.15 so I can come home and cram for Chemistry.

Maths P1 today and as I predicted it was a whole load of sh*t. Again, time to learn from my mistakes.
    Chemistry tomorrow and my teacher is going to make sure that I don't get the OL paper, we'll see how this goes. I'd take a C3 in OL rather than a No Grade in HL. Last time in my life that I ever let anyone pick my subjects for me.

Chemistry done! Now I can focus on my favourite exam, English P2!
    I'll start tomorrow, gig tonight!

Yesterday; A whole lotta cramming..and sims.....
    Today; More cramming, Biology and English P2 tomorrow and I swear my brain is about to explode. If WB Yeats doesn't come up tomorrow, I'm done for. I'm gonna go cram some more and hope for the best.

Wow, I am so exhausted today.
    English P2 and Biology completed.
    I found English to be quite alright, I'm not going to get my hopes up, but it was an enjoyable paper and luckily for me, the only poet I had time to study for came up. I'm not taking this chance ever again, it was a lucky risk. A few people told me that they took this approach too and only learned one poet, it never came up for them and they couldn't answer any other questions. I swear the Gods were with me this morning. I think I looked a little bit insane when I cheered loudly with triumph.
    Biology - Wooooooooooo, I done my best but I can't say anymore. Some teacher walked in like 2 hours into our exams and tells us if we're finished we could go. The amount of people who left took me by huge surprise. Among these were people doing History!
    Tomorrow is Irish P2 then I'll come home to cram for Maths P2.
    This weekend, I'm doing absolutely f-all. I'm taking a massive deserved break and pushing all my books to the side. Time to break out the Doritos and Xbox.

• Advertisement

Irish P2 was dreadful, but in all honesty, it was my fault. I have a REALLY short attention span when I'm faced with something exceedingly boring. About 20 minutes into the exam, I totally forgot I was doing an exam. An hour later, the teacher informs us that we have about 1 hour 30 minutes left and I'm still there just grinning to myself! I then realised that I was doing Irish and I have barely anything written down so I just began flying through it. I'd start one question and jump to another. It was a parade of waffling. My answers were barely finished. I left the exam realising how screwed I was. I still have time to up my grade with my mock oral on Thursday, so that's the only chance I have left for the mocks.
    Moral of my story: Never let your imagination get the best of you during an Irish exam.
    Maths P2 tomorrow and I have an excruciating headache. Time to go to bed and wake up at 4am for a cramming session.

Maths P2 had to be my worst exam to date. I literally could not understand what was going on. In the end, I done two questions out of the whole paper and quit after an hour had passed. Not to mention I answered the questions terribly. At this point, I'll be glad to move down to Foundation Maths. Time to redo my college courses because I'm screwed at this point.
    Irish mock oral tomorrow and I'm 67% unprepared. If my study log of failure is giving faith to anyone out there, don't leave transition year half way to start 5th year.

Irish mock oral went better than I expected. A few seconds of stuttering and a few mistakes here and there, but overall, I think I did quite well. French mock oral tomorrow so we'll see how that goes. Final day of exams tomorrow, then the sweet and delectable weekend.

Enjoyable weekend, but now time to get back to work. I've started getting my results back, so far no fails!
    Maths, as I expected was pretty bad, I got 46% and my teacher made a show of me for not answering the majority of questions on Paper 2, IRONICALLY, I'm one of the 4 that actually passed OL Maths in the whole year. Suck on that, Ms.
    So far, I really need to practice more maths, I know it, it's just the way the questions are phrased. Total bs.
    Irish - I got a C2, And boy I am delighted! This is the highest I've gotten all year, I was aiming for a C3 so this was a pretty tearful moment for me. Even my Irish teacher was convinced I cheated, it could be better, but I'm happy right now.
    French - So far I have 50% without oral, the aural REALLY brought me down. So I need to work on that more.
    Home Ec- B1 which I'm delighted with. I'd love to bump it up to an A2 for the real LC, I just have to work harder.
    I don't have English, Biology and Chemistry back, but so far I'm happy with what I got. No cheating, no spoilers, just my own work.
    I did the HL Chemistry paper and my teacher said she thinks I just about passed so I'm happy with that. I'm considering taking up HL Chemistry again, just for points. I loath the subject with all my heart.
    Next year, I'll be working with cameras and writing stories to my heart's content, I just have to survive!

I received more results today, I can't believe I passed HL Chemistry, considering I'm the one who sits there and daydreams about actors. I think plenty of the dedicated HL students were more shocked than I was, 1/3 of them failed. 43% is nothing to others, but to me, I tried, maybe if I do a bit more work I might be able to get a C3 for the LC. I calculated my French exam wrong so I actually had about 65% and the oral bumped me up to 71%, I got 82/100 for the French oral, which is pretty neat. I'll have to work harder over the next few weeks, no more joking around.
    Irish - C3
    Maths - D2
    English - I'll be receiving this tomorrow, so we'll see how that goes.
    French - B3
    Biology - B3
    Chemistry - D3
    Home Ec - B1

• Advertisement

I finally got my English result, I didn't do too bad, a B3 is good but I really want to work towards a B1.
    English - B3
    Irish - C2
    Maths - D2
    French - B3
    Biology - B3
    Chemistry - D3
    Home Ec - B1
    That's a total of 420 points, I need 15 more to be safe for my course, which I feel is not going to happen. I'll just have to work harder until the real exams. 8 more weeks (excluding easter) until I graduate, woohoo.

Irish - oral work
    Maths - Financial maths
    French - Diary entry
    Chemistry - Iron Tablet titration

I haven't updated in a few days, I'm on a sims 3 binge...yes this is exactly what I do with my life. I'll start properly tomorrow, I promise.

Too much distractions to start properly today :P Tomorrow definitely, no more procrastinating. I'll lock myself away from between 4.30 to 8.00 and begin efficient studying. I'm only trying this method for one week, if it doesn't work, I'm going back to studying in front of the tv...the same method I've been doing since 1st year....I should probably stop while I can.

This is what I accomplished between 4.30 and 7.50pm and now I'm tired and can barely keep my eyes open.
    Biology: Respiration revision and exam questions, started Human Reproduction.
    Chemistry: Ethene, experiment with H2O2 and MnO3, rate of reaction.
    Irish: Oral work
    English: Emily Dickinson poetry and Macbeth character.
    Home Ec: Cheese, HACCP, Calcium.

Tomorrow I'll start with either French or Maths.

I started at 5.00pm and finished up around 9pm. The breaks I took were roughly 45 minutes in total.
    French - 2008 listening comprehension, oral work on social networking and the benefits of learning a second language.
    Irish - 45 minutes of oral work, excluding the sraith pictures.
    Maths - Financial maths, we had a tricky APR question today and it made me realise I know f-all so I had to revise it again.
    English - All Emily Dickinson poems and Duncan character from Macbeth.

Tomorrow, I'll start with Chemistry, I want to get that Heat of Reaction chapter under the belt.
    I have a mock Irish oral tomorrow and next week I have 2 more, oh how I love my Irish teacher.

I had a mock oral today for Irish, not 100% perfect but okay. I have 9 days to improve, time to reduce certain areas of studying so I can focus on Gaeilge.
    I started working at 5.00pm and finished around 9.00pm, with at least a one hour break in total.
    English - Casablanca: Theme, Vision and Viewpoint and Cultural Context.
    Irish: Geibheann, Cuid A of 2007 aural
    Biology: Human Reproduction, Microscope experiment: e.g plant cell, animal cheek cell.
    Chemistry: Heat of Reaction chapter without Fuels and the experiment. I finally learnt how to do the heat of combustion question!! I'm still not sure of some part of it, but I'll check with my teacher on Monday.
    Home Ec- Marriage and Divorce.

I've been working on my oral all weekend so I didn't feel the need to update....and I've been taking large breaks to play sims 3....4 hours isn't that bad....okay 6 hours. I need to ask my parents to hide my games until the exams are over..

Biology - Flower Reproducrion
    Irish - sraith 17-20, mo ghrasa and plenty of oral work.
    English - started Elizabeth Bishop, so far I have The Fish and The Filling Station done.
    Maths - Data

Tomorrow I'll do chemistry, home Ec, maths and French. I also have ANOTHER mock oral tomorrow. I'm happy that my teacher is giving us so many opportunities, but to be honest, it's so overwhelming!

Did fairly average in my oral today, I really need to layout my tenses and learn a couple of sentences for each. Final mock oral on Friday and then I'm all set to go. I'm not looking to Monday at all, but oh well, gotta roll with the punches.

Chemistry - attempted to study Equilibrium
    Maths - 3 paper 1 questions in the exam papers.
    French - oral work
    Home Ec - education and work
    I'll do some English and 4 sraith pictiurs to finish up.

• Advertisement

So I didn't get much done today. School is getting more exhausting day after day. Plus I have an idea for a script to write and I'm aching for summer so I can fully concentrate on my scripts and stories!
    English - Elizabeth Bishop x2 poetry
    Maths - One random paper one question and one random paper two question.
    Irish - Small oral work (What I done last week, usual school day and next summer)
    French - oral work and social problems

That's all I done today, tomorrow I have a mock french oral and then I have to come home and revise all 20 sraith pictiurs for my final mock oral on Friday. I feel like someone is holding a trigger against my head, please pull it already.

So my french oral is actually tomorrow and unfortunately for me, I have my final Irish mock oral tomorrow!!! Ugh, why! why! And the worst part, Irish is straight after French. I'm the kind of person who can't go straight from one language to the next. If I study french within at least 30 minutes before Irish, it will stick to me and I'll end up speaking French through my Irish oral. Fantastic!
    It's just the mock so blah. I'm glad the real ones are a week apart.
    3 more days and I can burn these sh!tty pictures! I'm actually looking forward to burning the sraith pictiurs more than anything else.
    Today, I didn't do anything beside study sraith pictiurs. I still don't know them fully, so I'll just try and make it up on the spot.
    3 more days, 3 more days, 3 more days.
    It's funny how I've been doing Irish since I was 4 and I've only been doing French for 4 years and I'm waaaay better at it than Irish. Hilarious actually.

So I have today and tomorrow for final improvements for the Irish oral. The nerves haven't kicked in yet, so it's all good. I'm not looking forward to Monday at all, the nerves always kick in at the last minute. I'll do some Biology, Maths, English and Irish today.
    Tomorrow I'll do Chemistry, Home Ec, English and Irish. Once the orals are over, I can concentrate on my listening again.

Today I've done
    Biology: Flower reproduction and an intro to the skeleton chapter.
    Irish: I completed the sraiths 11-20, excluding 12 without no notes. They turned out easier than I expected :o tomorrow I'll revise 1-10, including 12. I also re-read all the poetries and fixed any final pronunciations.
    English: kingship essay..I lazily done 2 and 3/4 of a page.

I'll fully revise my Irish oral tomorrow and then I'm all set to go on Monday.

Irish oral in less than 24 hours and I absolutely cannot study. I've tried, gotten frustrated and have been playing sims 3 for the whole day. I'll try again and if I can't study, guess I'll be getting up at 4am. Good luck to everyone!!

It's hard to believe that I've completed the Irish oral!! My examiner was so nice, I thought I done pretty well, but the sraith might bring me down. I got the stupid one about the media and technology -.- REALLY. Anyway, I kept on talking and the time FLEW by. Literally. I was nearly pooping myself before going in, but it was actually nice. I'm so glad it's over, hopefully I'll never have to do it again.
    I just want a C1/B3 for Irish. Please!!!!

Maths - Co-ordinate geometry and the circle
    English - Elizabeth Bishop and Downfall of Macbeth.
    Biology - DNA and RNA
    Chemistry - Chemical Equilibrium
    Home Ec - Lipids

Maths - 2 questions on co-ordinate geometry sample paper C edco.
    English - Vision and Viewpoint HMMTB -Started.
    French - Oral work.
    Chemistry - Heat of Reaction.
    Home Ec - Microwave and Fridge.

I barely did anything today, but I paid attention is some of my classes so I guess that counts. I'm finding it impossible to stay in school for Biology, I like my notes better and get more done on my own rather than being in a class of incompetent people who only care about what ditch they'll be drinking in this weekend. Ugh.
    English - Macbeth Act 4, Scene 1. Seamus Heaney, I started The Forge and HMMTB key relationship within family.
    Irish - Eicolai(?) in school, we finally begun it.
    Biology - Bare minimum on vegetative propogation
    Chemistry - Chemical equilibrium and heat of combustion maths question.

I'll do some French oral work this night and that's it for today.
    The only thing keeping me going is watching college student vlogs.

• Advertisement

French oral completed! Didn't do AMAZINGLY well, but I'm proud of how much I got to say and how I stayed calm during the awkward moments...oui oui madame c'est vrai...I said that like 5 times ha-ha. And I laughed along when I had no idea what she was going on about. All in all, it was pretty good.
    I got asked, my document, my family, myself, my school, what I would do if I was principal, what I would do if I was minister of education, why I want to go to Canada, what I want to study, what job I want in the future, social networking, my favorite band, films, television, sport, stress of the leaving cert, the points system, what I done last year and do I like travelling and what I will do during the Easter.
    I'm gonna go study for Chemistry now and cry because I'm finally done! Well not exactly..I still have a chance to really improve with the written and listening. Bonne chance to everyone else, smile and say oui as much as you can. :)

Advertisement