Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it too early....

• 30-08-2013 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭

To have another cat/kitten? As some of you may know we lost our dear Caspar just over a week ago. I'm still feeling his loss but we've been offered a kitten from a friend, but is it too early for me I wonder as I still have that feeling in the pit of my stomach and miss him so much. The kitten won't be ready for adopting for at least another 4-5 weeks and as I don't want to muck the friend(not a close friend) about, should I just say I'm not ready yet?

I'll post a pic of Caspar when I figure out how to do it :confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

All depends on your feelings of when you're ready...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

Everyone is different. When my previous dog died I thought I'd wait a few months before getting another. Three days later I saw a photo of a dog on my local pound's website and I knew she was "mine". I think when you're ready you'll just know. Maybe ask your friend if you can come and meet the kitten in a couple of weeks and decide then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭brrabus

Very difficult as we do not know you and even if we did it would not be easy to say. Only us, ourselves, know our feelings. However the fact that you are considering this is positive. If you see the kittens and take to one, the fact that you have to wait for a while to get him/her may lend to the healing process, getting excited for your new arrival, buying him his own bowl, etc. You will never forgot your previous pets and nor should you, they were a part of your life. Getting a new companion is not forgetting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

Thank you all, The friend has sent us pics of the kittens and I'm smitten by them all but especially a wee black one with a little white heart on his/her chest:)

Now to talk the hubby round;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Losing a pet is devastating and an individual pet can never be replaced.

You probably feel guilty about considering a new kitten, but it's very hard to get used to not having a pet. It always feels like something is missing.

The new kitten you are thinking about adopting will need a good home, you can obviously offer that, so if you're ready I would say go for it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement