Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hikes around Dublin/Wicklow with 500m ascents

Options
  • 30-08-2013 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,652 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all, I'm off to trek to Everest Base Camp in 7 weeks time as well as attempting a summit on Mera Peak which is just a few miles south of Mt Everest.

So as part of my training regime I'm looking to do two hikes a week. I need them to match as closely as possible the terrain I'll face in the Himalayas, which consists of a lot of steep gradients which can take a couple of hours to get up before you level out in a higher valley. I know that is not always possible to get this kind of territory in Ireland but as close as can be got is what I seek. So I'm looking for hikes in the Dublin-Wicklow area that meet some or all of the following
    1. Minimum 10km in length, 15km is best
    2. To have some steep gradients
    3. 400m+ of ascent
    4. Preference for loop tracks but not 100% necessary
    5. Preference for waymarked trails or trails that are well worn and easy to follow.
    I've been doing the 12km Bog of Frogs walk around Howth head for the last couple of weeks and now need to step it up a bit from this. I intend to do the Spinc Walk (white route) in Glendalough at the weekend which is about 11km and gives 380m of ascent. I'd prefer have closer to 500m ascent but this can be tricky to find, any help much appreciated !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,752 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I can offer a route on the distance your looking for.

Park at the entrance to Tibadden forest and walk the road towards Johnny Foxes pub and then turn left at that crossroads and follow the road in the direction of Stepaside but enter the forest a KM or so after the pitch & putt course and follow the route to to the summit of Three Rock and then continue the trail back to where you parked just after the Zip-it adventure park.

Think its 16KM in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

the other aspect is being able to walk for multiple days. When I was preparing for an expedition holiday I used to just go to a mountain range and do 2 days of hard hiking and then during the week go jogging including hills. If you had a tent there are numerous options from Enniskerry, Blessington or Glendalough.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Spink is on boardwalks - apart from the ascent and distance it's not giving you any terrain training.

Lugnaquilla from Fentons will give you what you want. Balineddan to Sliebh Mann to Lug - 890m ascent and 15k.

At Lough Dan you could do Brown and Lugalla which is about 800m and 15k too.
    Scarr and Kanturk in the same area is about 10k and 500m.

The Wicklow Way has some as well. Prince Williams Seat has about a 500m ascent and you could loop it around Glencree to add distance.

Advertisement