Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bayern Munich v Chelsea, UEFA Super Cup, k/o 7:45pm SS1/UTV/RTE

• 30-08-2013 4:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

UCL winners 2013 Bayern Munich face EL 2013 winners Chelsea in Prague tonight.

Pep v Jose will dominant the pre-match ceremonies but its a game I'd expect Bayern to win tonight.

Chelsea and Jose will find out tonight where they stand tonight relative to one of Europes best teams.

Prediction : Bayern 3 - 1 Chelsea
    Bayern Munich :

Probable Lineup: Neuer; Lahm, Boateng, Dante, Alaba; Kroos, Gotze; Robben, Muller, Ribery; Mandzukic
    • Injuries: Thiago Alcantara and Holger Badstuber (knee)
    • Doubtful: Bastian Schweinsteiger (ankle), Javi Martinez (abdomen)
    Chelsea :

Probable Lineup: Cech; Ivanovic, Cahill, Terry, Cole; Mikel, Ramires; Hazard, Oscar, Mata; Torres
    • Doubtful: David Luiz (hamstring)
    Probable Lineup: Cech; Ivanovic, Cahill, Terry, Cole; Mikel, Ramires; Hazard, Oscar, Mata; Torres

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

I don't really want Bayern to win another title, tbh :confused:

But I think, they have something to settle, I only say 'Champions League Final 2012'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

2-1 Bayern. :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Awesome, first proper night out in Munich tonight! gonna enjoy this one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Awesome, first proper night out in Munich tonight! gonna enjoy this one

The best thing in Munich is the Autobahn to Dortmund :D

But enjoy yourself, regardless this cheeky comment :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

José has a dire record against Pep, and can't see it getting much better tonight. Hopefully he'll leave the pettiness out of it and leave the game to the players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Hopefully its as good as last years, hon the Bayern.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Ugh, hope Chelsea win and win well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I cant see us winning anyway, I'd love it but Bayern are a brilliant side so wouldnt expect much from this game TBH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

**** on a stick. 1-1 extra time which bores everyone off their wits end and the worst star laden peno shoot out since Barcelona and Steaua Bucharest in 1986

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I cant see us winning anyway, I'd love it but Bayern are a brilliant side so wouldnt expect much from this game TBH.

I'm sure Mourinho has checked out the Super Cup game vs Dortmund and last weekend's game vs Freiburg and will use those as a template. Just have to get at em. If Chelsea can do that for most of the game and start Lukaku for once (-_-) you's have as good a chance as them of winning.

Oh, and hopefully someone can kick the traitor Liu Kang style.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Is Eto'o eligible?

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    I'm sure Mourinho has checked out the Super Cup game vs Dortmund and last weekend's game vs Freiburg and will use those as a template. Just have to get at em. If Chelsea can do that for most of the game and start Lukaku for once (-_-) you's have as good a chance as them of winning.

Oh, and hopefully someone can kick the traitor Liu Kang style.

Ya, I'd agree on getting at them but we'd have to drop at least 2/3 players for it. Lamps and Mikel couldnt get near the team.

We'd have to line out

Cech
    Ivan Cahill JT Cole
    Ramires Oscar
    De Buyne Hazard Schurrle
    Lukaku

Although going on our basis for the game against United I wouldnt be surprised to see a similar setup employed as the one I posted above would be torn apart in CM by Bayern if they get a foot hold on the game.

Is Eto'o eligible?

Nope, himself and Willian werent registered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,375 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Are people underrating Chelsea or are they just sh*te now? I can't separate them right now to be honest. Bayern are still gelling and haven't looked convincing on a few occasions so far this season. Chelsea can win this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

Interesting to see the final in Prague. I see the plan is for future finals to be in various cities from now on. I wonder in Dublin in the mix? The fact they're playing it in another 20k stadium tonight seems as though they might just be earmarking this particular game for countries that don't yet have a stadium suitable to host a CL or Europa final.

roanoke wrote: »
    Interesting to see the final in Prague. I see the plan is for future finals to be in various cities from now on. I wonder in Dublin in the mix? The fact they're playing it in another 20k stadium tonight seems as though they might just be earmarking this particular game for countries that don't yet have a stadium suitable to host a CL or Europa final.

When did the Aviva host the EL final? 2010? If it is being considered it maybe a while before its back on the map as possible stadium for this match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I have only seen Bayern in one and half games this season. Indications were they're not a gelled a side. Pep is introducing a change to the system (he has to really as every team will have studied their approach from last season.) and it will take time to get it coherent. The injuries to personnel don't help them either. Chelsea are in a similar boat. The obvious thing would be to assume Bayern will win but that's based on them being best side in Europe last season.

Match could go either way imo. But prediction would be 2-1 Bayern. And that's a stupid gut impression based on little more than 2 hrs of watching each team. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Invincible

There was a clip of Luiz warming up on news, must be fit again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭lahalane

Hopefully it's a good game. Can't see any reason it won't be. Pep vs Jose, the 'revenge' issue, two quality teams. Hopefully Bayern win so they can finally add the Super Cup to their trophy list. I'll back an optimistic 3-2 victory for Bayern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Still no Mata

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Once it's not a massacre a lá last years' Super Cup, I'll be happy.

It is balanced in favour of Munich, no doubt. I have a feeling they'll just have enough to get over the line and win it in the 90 minutes. 2-1 to Munich, unfortunately. But once Chelsea put in a good shift, show that they can play toe-to-toe with the best in Europe still and don't get totally dismembered and I'll be happy enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Luiz playing , Torres upfront

Bayern will want revenge for a certain other final. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Both lineups?

Cech - Ivanovic, Cahill, Luiz, Cole - Ramires, Lampard - Schrrle, Oscar, Hazard - Torres.

Bayern starting XI: ..

Neuer, Rafinha, Boateng, Dante, Alaba, Kroos, Lahm, Muller, Robben, Mandzukic, Ribery

cfc bench: Schwarzer, Terry, Azpilicueta, Essien, Mikel, Mata, Lukaku

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Torres starts Lukaku on bench TSHO works in mysterious ways his wonderful work to do.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Lahm in midfield is probably a good call. Crazy how light Bayern are there at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Lahm in midfield is probably a good call. Crazy how light Bayern are there at the moment.

Would it not be Alaba in CM with Kroos and Lahm at LB?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Hoping for a Bayern win tonight. Hopefully a good game too.

That could perhaps be the case. Pep has messed about with Lahm in midfield though this season.

Good piece there by Sky on the Pep/Jose thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

No, he has used Lahm in midfield a fair amount since joining the club.

Anyway interesting selection by Mourinho, looking forward to see how Luiz does in a competitive game under Mourinho, also happy that he has gon with 3 attacking midfielders rather than bringing Mikel into midfield and going a bit more defensively. Only slight disappointment is Torres ahead of Lukaku.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

Soccerway have it looking like this :
    http://int.soccerway.com/matches/2013/08/30/europe/uefa-super-cup/fc-bayern-munchen/chelsea-football-club/1475588/?ICID=HP_MS_03_01

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Not often ill tip up a correct score market with its ridiculous overrounds, but how is nil all 16/1 (coral)? Way too big

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭SweepTheLeg

Is Gotze injured?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Is Mata still not match fit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

why Lahm centre mid ahead of Javi Martinez?

why Lahm centre mid ahead of Javi Martinez?

Martinez is injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

bbc said hes on the bench.

not fit enuf to start so?

• Advertisement

Sky Sports interviewing Terry on winning the CL even though he wasn't even playing :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Don't think Gotze is fit, looked off the pace against Freiberg.

99 luft balloons

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭SweepTheLeg

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Sky Sports interviewing Terry on winning the CL even though he wasn't even playing :P

He played in every game up the the Semi final where he got sent off, and even scored in one of games, He's just as deserving as any Chelsea player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

good goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

Great finish from Torres

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Typical. Torres scores.

Amazing finish

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭weiland79

What a goal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

watch Chelsea sit back for the rest of the game now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement