Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bayern Munich v Chelsea, UEFA Super Cup, k/o 7:45pm SS1/UTV/RTE

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,430 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Worst. Penalty. Ever!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Mata would've scored it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

Great to see super captain terri going over to console him

Yeah he's a model character

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Great to see super captain terri going over to console him

Classless isnt he.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,228 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Corvo wrote: »
    Cruel on the young lad

Cruel? It was a stupid run-up and soft tap into the keepers arms.

Not cruel. Dumb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

No matter his potential, Lukaku is not ready yet. That will be a big knock to his confidence. He'll need to bounce back with some premiership goals.

Bayern deserved to win. Had the edge with players. Chelsea ceded most of the 50-50s. And in the end just sat back far too deep hoping against hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Bahahaha. Can't help myself. What a **** peno. And they played so well. Must be heart breaking. Sooooo ****ing funny. Welcome home Jose. Pep still has you in his pocket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Bahahaha. Can't help myself. What a **** peno. And they played so well. Must be heart breaking. Sooooo ****ing funny. Welcome home Jose. Pep still has you in his pocket.

Cop on you spa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

adox wrote: »
    Classy. :rolleyes:

He's only criticising a player on the team he supports, no need for the Smileys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

BM look like they have taken a step back under Pep.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

Has Terry changed into his Bayern kit yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Bruised ego for Jose, Pep seems to almost always have the upper hand

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Looked like he tried the Hazard style penalty but Neuer stood there and waited, it just didn't work at all bit hopefully it doesn't have an adverse effect on his confidence.

Anyway it would be impossible for any Chelsea fan not to be proud of the team tonight. 40+ minutes of playing with 10 men, and still Bayern only get a draw with the last kick of the game. Cech, Luiz, Lampard, Oscar, Hazard all outstanding tonight. The potential of this side, with Willian and Eto'o coming in too, is incredible. Mourinho's effect is clear for all to see, so rugged defensively and dangerous going forward, I'd hazard (no pun intended) a guess that no team will enjoy playing Chelsea this season in the Chamoions League.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Sick.... So horrible. But no arguments. The superior and better team on the night won it. Horrible for Lukaku, but that was one of the worst fúcking penalties I've ever seen. At least if he'd tried something cheeky/spectacular, there'd be some consolation ("At least he tried it..."). But that... Dear Jesus. Neuer loves that all day, every day.

So close to writing up my favourite adage: "I'd rather be lucky than good". Luck deserted at the last second and being good came through.

Congrats to Bayern. Won't be the last piece of silverware they get their hands on this season, no question. By far the better team tonight and got their revenge on the Famous CFC. Guardiola adds another notch to his bedpost over Mourinho. Order is restored to the galaxy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Talk about an overreaction to a penalty. If Neuer had gone the other way no one would have batted an eyelid.

I'm just pleased Terry's obligatory late cameo will only result in a runners-up medal this time.

Going on previous, I'd be backing shortening odds managers for the Chelski job. They lost, surely the Russian Oil thug must be considering a replacement :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭average hero

Barr wrote: »

Definitely. Last year they would have demolished Chelsea

Feel for lukaku, aye it was a **** peno but looks like a he's gonna cry :(, ah well I'm more happy with our performance , some great individual stand outs from that :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Unlucky for Chelsea the 2nd BM goal with 4 seconds to go and the missed peno.
    Will give BM a run for their money this season if they clash in the CL.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭mikehunts

Sweet match great finish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

With 10 men we held on well that goa was horrible but it was the bounce of ball. no complaint better team won but we gave a decent account of ourselves.

Poor from lukaku but we didnt really have many other options fair play to luiz for going up to him straight away.

Hopefully we see bayern in the UCL at some stage down the line and we can reverse it. roll on everton after the break.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

It's very early days lads, very harsh to be judging Pep at this point.

I also don't think they would've hammered that Chelsea team last year. They were excellent defensively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

Best team won overall, i think it's fair to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Like they won the final the year before :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

He's only criticising a player on the team he supports, no need for the Smileys.

By calling him a ****ing spa?

He knows it was classless too with his ninja edit.

By calling him a ****ing spa?

He knows it was classless too with his ninja edit.

I didn't edit anything. Was a **** peno, I feel for him , my anger at the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,430 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Jaysis, if Collins says "Certainly" one more time....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Jaysus that was closer than the folks here expected (though nobody really was predicting a walkover) now for 1/2 more of these to calm everyones nerves

hofbrauhaus-beer-mug-3.jpg

*hic*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Soby wrote: »
    I didn't edit anything. Was a **** peno, I feel for him , my anger at the time

I stand corrected. Didnt realise you posted again so quickly.

It's a classless post.

• Advertisement

Like they won the final the year before :pac:

I don't think Chelsea were that great shakes last year and Bayern were unstoppable last year. I think they would have really shown Chelsea something last year like the way they did to Barcelona.

There are teething problems at the moment with Pep's system. Lahm in DM is madness!

They were defensively frail in the first half.

I also believe they were more potent last year.

I stand corrected. Didnt realise you posted again so quickly.

It's a classless post.

Admit harsh just as I said anger at the time, ah sure life goes on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Fantastic match!

Bayern just about deserved it imo and I'm biasing that because Chelsea were very cynical with their fouling. Lots of elbows and stamps! Ramires red deserved. Feel really sorry for Lukkaku. Shaqiri and Ashley Cole were very lucky too. Though arguably Cole really deserved his to go as it was very sweetly struck. Shaqiri's not so much.

Chelsea at home in Europe is going to be very tough for any team. Mourinho's team's always toe that boundary on discipline limits. Lots of niggle fouls to break up flow and formations.

Bayern are going to be a very tough prospect, especially if they gel. One thing tonights game really epitomised was how reactive both managers are. Neither finished with the same game plan they begun with. So much in game tinkering and tweaking. A total contrast to the Utd Chelsea game at the start of the week. Message sent by both Bayern and Chelsea to the rest of Europe imo.

Mourinho is making a show of himself in this interview.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Jose: "They took the cup and the best team lost, Clearly the best team lost"

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I also believe they were more potent last year.

Think they will be at the latter part of this season too

• Advertisement

Jose: "They took the cup and the best team lost, Clearly the best team lost"

He also said Ramires should not of been sent off. Ridiculous comment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Mourinho is making a show of himself in this interview.

What's he saying?

Thought he looked a bit clownish trying to get the crowd going for about ten mins. Ferguson vs Madrid doesn't look too bad after watching that tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭lahalane

He said the best team lost when Bayern knocked Madrid out on penos two years ago. Maybe he doesnt like Bayern...or losing on penalties...or maybe hes a sore loser? Disappointed to hear that, especially the Ramires comment.

Well done Bayern. Fiver on them to win on penalties at 12/1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

lahalane wrote: »

:D:D:D
    Congrats!
    (Must have made the penalties even more dramatic too.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

The man is just a sore loser, always has been and always will be.

• Advertisement

There is no better manager to have than Jose Mourinho at your club. Everything he brings, tactical accumen, the ability to unite a group and get them to believe in the sole message which he brings, the ability to take a group of players and turn them into winners, the entertainment he brings and that cult of personality (thanks CM Punk) that gets the whole club pulling in the one direction.

Last season I thought Chelsea had a talented side but some of the league games and certainly the Champions League campaign showed that it lacked a bit of steel and know how. Mourinho, in a short space of time, has got them playing as a real Mourinho team.

Renn wrote: »
    What's he saying?

Thought he looked a bit clownish trying to get the crowd going for about ten mins. Ferguson vs Madrid doesn't look too bad after watching that tonight.

He said the better team lost and Ramires should not of been sent off. 2 ridiculous comments to be fair.

lahalane wrote: »
    He said the best team lost when Bayern knocked Madrid out on penos two years ago. Maybe he doesnt like Bayern...or losing on penalties...or maybe hes a sore loser? Disappointed to hear that, especially the Ramires comment.

Maybe he doesn't like being owned by Pep. His ego is just too big. He can't contemplate the fact that he's just not the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭lahalane

Jernal wrote: »
    :D:D:D
    Congrats!
    (Must have made the penalties even more dramatic too.)

Absolutely bricking it. Shaqiri almost gave a heart attack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Disgusting
    Robbed
    Robbed
    Robbed
    We deserved it after that performance with 10 men
    Pep is some nasty piece of work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

There is no better manager to have than Jose Mourinho at your club. Everything he brings, tactical accumen, the ability to unite a group and get them to believe in the sole message which he brings, the ability to take a group of players and turn them into winners, the entertainment he brings and that cult of personality (thanks CM Punk) that gets the whole club pulling in the one direction.

Last season I thought Chelsea had a talented side but some of the league games and certainly the Champions League campaign showed that it lacked a bit of steel and know how. Mourinho, in a short space of time, has got them playing as a real Mourinho team.

No-one doubts Mourinho's abilities as a football manager. Still there's always the doubt that you should never go back. Time will tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Not a single scorer from England or Germany and four goals scored. Tut tut tut :pac:

Think they will be at the latter part of this season too

They very well could be. Actually I would count on it. The departure of Heykes may have led to the changing of last year's all-action attack and the introduction of Pep's tika taka system which I wouldn't like to see as Bayern were phenomenal last season.

I question Bayern's transfers this summer also. Thiago and Gotze are undoubtedly great players but did they really need them? They have a HUGE squad of exceptional talent all looking for a game.

Lennonist wrote: »
    No-one doubts Mourinho's abilities as a football manager. Still there's always the doubt that you should never go back. Time will tell.

I don't see why not. Chelsea fans adore him, he has a group of young players that he can (and clearly already is) molding into playing the way he likes his teams to play. He's been able to bring in players that suit his style of football (Willian being a good example of one) and he has players at the club already devoted to Mourinho's way (Lampard, Terry, Essien, Cech, Mikel and now Eto'o). I have no problem in saying that, had Chelsea met Bayern last season, they would have beaten us and beaten us handsomely, the team played some good stuff last season but didn't have that steel or resolve that Mourinho seems to bring to his teams. I'm disappointed in the manner which the side lost, being that they were seconds away from beating the European champions with 10 men but I'm more convinced now than ever of what Mourinho is doing with this group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭jamaamaj

the_monkey wrote: »
    Disgusting
    Robbed
    Robbed
    Robbed
    We deserved it after that performance with 10 men
    Pep is some nasty piece of work

Robbed? No, Chelsea battled well with 10 men but were not robbed, no way.
    Deserved? Why? because chelsea were leading?
    Pep? Mourinho is a nastier piece of work. (how many cards had chelsea?)

• Advertisement
Advertisement