Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of geothermal heating

Options
  • 30-08-2013 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hello all.

Please be patient with my vagueness!

I was wondering what the ballpark figure would be for UFH downstairs and up through geothermal in a c. 2,300sq ft house?

Hoping to put in a solid fuel stove and HR system aswell as some sort of booster.

I'd be delighted with any experiences/advice anyone has to offer.

Slán.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭barry75

Hello all.

Please be patient with my vagueness!

I was wondering what the ballpark figure would be for UFH downstairs and up through geothermal in a c. 2,300sq ft house?

Hoping to put in a solid fuel stove and HR system aswell as some sort of booster.

I'd be delighted with any experiences/advice anyone has to offer.

Slán.

Hi Tiler Durden
    We built the same size house as yourself approx 2350ft. We installed a Ground source heat pump with underfloor heating upstairs and down.The make of the pump we installed was a heliotherm heat pump.
    A large area of the back garden was dug out by machine area was 20 metre by 10 metre by 1 metre in depth.This is where the pipes where layed in a loop system .The pipes are covered by sand and back filled with the soil.
    The system it self is efficient and we make use of the night saver electricity to run the pump.The pump is located in utility room ,but there is a bit of noise that come form it especially if sleeping in bedroom next to it.
    We had the system installed over 5 years now and had no issues only to get it serviced when the pressure dropped in the pipes last year.
    The total cost came in around 24,500 for the whole system that was the pump,UFH,water tank ,installation etc.But at the time there was SEI grants available so the total was 18900 after the grant.
    In my experience it was worth the money,
    Best of luck with it Barry

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Tiler Durden

barry75 wrote: »
    Hi Tiler Durden
    We built the same size house as yourself approx 2350ft. We installed a Ground source heat pump with underfloor heating upstairs and down.The make of the pump we installed was a heliotherm heat pump.
    A large area of the back garden was dug out by machine area was 20 metre by 10 metre by 1 metre in depth.This is where the pipes where layed in a loop system .The pipes are covered by sand and back filled with the soil.
    The system it self is efficient and we make use of the night saver electricity to run the pump.The pump is located in utility room ,but there is a bit of noise that come form it especially if sleeping in bedroom next to it.
    We had the system installed over 5 years now and had no issues only to get it serviced when the pressure dropped in the pipes last year.
    The total cost came in around 24,500 for the whole system that was the pump,UFH,water tank ,installation etc.But at the time there was SEI grants available so the total was 18900 after the grant.
    In my experience it was worth the money,
    Best of luck with it Barry

Thanks for that Barry, that was in and around what I was reckoning for. If it includes all the insulation needed I think it's actually not too bad. I guess I have Bob and No Hope of getting any sort of a grant these days though?...

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭badgerhowlin

Hi Tiler,

I got mine installed 1 1/2 ago. System is a Nibe fighter 1245 with 180L tank Combo 2200ft think its a 6kw HP. I went with a bore whole 150m Deep with 137m active(Water surrounding pipes.)
    Very happy with it. total HP bill for last year was €370

I have a wood stove in the sitting room. I would say I could count on one had how many times I had the fire lighting over the winter. not for the want of heat. just for the feel it give you on them cold miserable rainy windy winter nights.

Total cost of the system 17500 + 2400(for borehole)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭hashey

hi tiler

who put in pump and system for you- am looking at it myself and need to get a few quotes

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Tiler Durden

hashey wrote: »
    hi tiler

who put in pump and system for you- am looking at it myself and need to get a few quotes

Well Hashey,

Not that far along yet but we have since changed our minds to an air-to-water system. I will update when I have one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭BarneyMc

Not that far along yet but we have since changed our minds to an air-to-water system. I will update when I have one.

Can I ask why? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭hashey

hi badgerhowlin

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭badgerhowlin

pm sent

Advertisement