Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

increased working hours

Options
  • 30-08-2013 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hello,
    I am a public servant and my hours have been increased since 1st July under the croke park agreement. I have to work and extra two hours per week. I have a couple of problems with this one being childcare and seeing my kids less and less but does anyone know if I can request that my salary be reduced to reflect the two hours or am I bound to work the extra half hour for 4 evenings every week??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

bhd2040 wrote: »
    Hello,
    I am a public servant and my hours have been increased since 1st July under the croke park agreement. I have to work and extra two hours per week. I have a couple of problems with this one being childcare and seeing my kids less and less but does anyone know if I can request that my salary be reduced to reflect the two hours or am I bound to work the extra half hour for 4 evenings every week??

I dont know about public servants but civil servants can have their wages reduced rather than working the extra hours but only until Jul 2014 and then the hours increase will be imposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

My wife's a nurse and they had the choice of reduced working hours or reduced pay (which she opted for). Childcare was our main issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Yeah we had the choice of working extra hours or reduced pay. Luckily we have an hour lunch break so most people have just shortened that to 30 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 bhd2040

Thanks for the reply's everyone.... I am already on a half hour lunch as I take half hour in morning to drop little one to school so taking the half hour at lunch is not an option.
    I am going to enquire about the reduced pay.
    Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Glinda

Just be careful to check about the implications of going onto a reduced week. If this is treated as worksharing then it will have implications for your pension as you would no longer be classed as full-time. I know this is the case for Civil Servants who are remaining on the old hours.

• Advertisement
Advertisement