Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fed Up With Social Anxiety - Meet up?

Options
  • 30-08-2013 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi Guys,

I want to meet other people in Cork suffering from social anxiety. I want the purpose of these meetings to be kind of confidential for externals as I guess many people like me try to live a normal life and aren't interested in having colleagues and other people to know what's going on. What I mean is I am not interested in public educational work on this matter, I do not want to book a table for a "social anxiety support group" or wear a t-shirt pointing this out.

My idea is to meet and do some stuff that could be helpful. So have kind of role playing games, practice presentations and similar things so we can train situations we hate and fear without losing anything.
    I hope to find people like me that want to change their situation and give it a chance this way. I am not a therapist or whatever, I am just fed up with not taking job opportunities and not doing the things I'd like to do in general, because there are other/too many (more than 1)/foreign people and i am also fed up with getting best advices like: "You just have to calm down a bit as everyone is anxious in situations like that and no one will notice!".

In case you still have no idea what I'm talking about: If I have a presentation at work (after I tried to avoid it with all possible means of course) with the incredible audience of let's say 3 people I start trembling and I mean not only a bit. It's the full body, my dark red head is banging, my knees are doing the twist and even my mouth starts jumping. I feel like an alien on electrical power. And of course everybody notices. So if anyone feels the same or similar and is interested in meetings please let me know!

One more thing: I really hate this social anxiety and I have days I could just only cry or want to live on a deserted island but still I am not interested in a group based on collectively crying and medicine-bingo - so this is more about trying out if we can improve ourselves through a kind of training and (hopefully) positive experiences while doing what we think we can't do.

If there is already something like that in Cork, let me know, I didn't find it. If anyone has suggestions or ideas this would be very welcome.
    If no one is interested, fine - I need to learn to cope with defeat anyway. ;)

Thanks for reading!

Advertisement