Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pasta Quest: DMV. Esoteric Edition.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭stimpson

I think your missing a subtle point here. They say it's a parody religion, not a parody of religion. Therefore they have accepted that it is indeed a religion and are now discriminating based on the type of religion. It's shocking that it still goes on in this day and age.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

Just a note to say that I will happily contribute to legal expenses for this, if they become necessary, up to €100.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Anyone a solicitor who'd take on the case for funsies?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Put me down for another €100 towards any solicitors' letters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

I think I am going to go both the ombudsman and the equal status act routes. I know the equal status act route has time limits associated with it i.e. must make a complaint within 2 months of the event thus I want to keep all options open just in case the other route follows through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

UDP wrote: »
    I think I am going to go both the ombudsman and the equal status act routes. I know the equal status act route has time limits associated with it i.e. must make a complaint within 2 months of the event thus I want to keep all options open just in case the other route follows through.

How about you you go the route that doesn't waste tax payer money on frivolous bull****?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

How about you you go the route that doesn't waste tax payer money on frivolous bull****?

You mean frivolous bull**** that means in certain instances laws don't apply to some people when those laws conflict with their religious beliefs?

If you think that is frivolous I hate to think what you would consider serious.

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    You mean frivolous bull**** that means in certain instances laws don't apply to some people when those laws conflict with their religious beliefs?

If you think that is frivolous I hate to think what you would consider serious.

Yes, i mean frivolous bull**** like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

Those frivolous bull**** anti-discrimination laws! What a waste of tax money! We could have been building churches!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Those frivolous bull**** anti-discrimination laws! What a waste of tax money! We could have been building churches!

And pyres to burn the heathens!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

If someone was considering a similar approach after having their more mainstream religion belittled would you respond in the same way? Why?

WOW.

Sooooo - allowing people to opt out of laws because their particular religion says different is just hunky dory with you.

Where should we draw the line do you reckon?

Do you think it's grand that people can say 'Not keeping that law because it goes against my religion'?

Some crazy religious beliefs out there - should they all get a Get out of Jail Free card?

I believe in the Norse Gods therefore I must carry a sword or axe at all times as if I wish to go to Valhalla I have to die fighting and armed. :cool:

Where should we draw the line do you reckon?

We should draw the line when it is clearly someone acting the maggot, as is the case here by the ops own admission

We should draw the line when it is clearly someone actign teh maggot, as is the case hee by the ops own admission
    Or we could draw the line by applying the same rules to everyone. You know, fairness, equality and all that bs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Absoluvely

We should draw the line when it is clearly someone acting the maggot, as is the case here by the ops own admission

If Pastafarianism is acting the maggot, then mainstream religions are the maggot.

Or we could draw the line by applying the same rules to everyone. You know, fairness, equality and all that bs.

Grand so, let's waste tax payers cash so you can prove you need to wear a Bosco wig in your passport or whatever ****e is current.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

I'd gladly donate as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Grand so, let's waste tax payers cash so you can prove you need to wear a Bosco wig in your passport or whatever ****e is current.

Ah now you're being offensive to his religion. That headgear is very sacred.

I find this dismissive attitude deeply offensive to my Boscist beliefs.

So how do you draft a law to define someone "acting the maggot"? Who gets to decide which religions are worthy of protection and which ones can be persecuted for their beliefs?

• Advertisement

stimpson wrote: »
    So how do you draft a law to define someone "acting the maggot"? Who gets to decide which religions are worthy of protection and which ones can be persecuted for their beliefs?

I'm not talking about drafting a law. I am referring to this thread and the OPs own admission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

You've almost grasped the central point. Let's see if you can make that final deduction. You've accepted that giving people exemptions to certain laws because of whatever they claim their religion is is a waste of money. So the options are 'Allow exemptions for every religion at the expense of the taxpayer' or..?

Is someone also acting the maggot when they refuse to wear a crash helmet on a motorbike as their religion says they have to wear a few yards of material?

Why stop at road safety laws?

Should there be exemptions in other areas too?

Oh wait...there are exemptions in other areas too - like employment law. :eek:

I'm not talking about drafting a law. I am referring to this thread and the OPs own admission.

But the OP's beliefs are protected by law. The equality legislation does not qualify which religions are "acting the maggot" so his beliefs are every bit as protected as Catholicism, Voodooism or any other belief system.

If you want to discriminate against Pastafarian's then you'll have to draft a law specifying it as an "acting the maggot" religion, as opposed to "real" religions.

Some crazy religious beliefs out there - should they all get a Get out of Jail Free card?
    The get-out-of-jail card is only useful when they're in jail to start with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Should someone have told Kent Hovind before he was jailed for tax fraud..?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Would the money offered for legal fees not be better off being given to charity?

No. Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Would the money offered for legal fees not be better off being given to charity?

Would the BILLIONS the catholic church has not be better spent by giving it to charity?

• Advertisement

robindch wrote: »
    The get-out-of-jail card is only useful when they're in jail to start with.

This is true.

It's a Stay out of Jail card.

Advertisement