Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pasta Quest: DMV. Esoteric Edition.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Would the money offered for legal fees not be better off being given to charity?

Good point
    As of now Pastafarianism is a charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭swampgas

I wouldn't be too surprised if the staff dealing with this driver license request were aware of, and following, this particular boards thread. Not that that makes any difference to the issue, but it might give them advance notice of any planned course of action.

/tinfoilhat

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

bumper234 wrote: »
    Would the BILLIONS the catholic church has not be better spent by giving it to charity?

Ah come on now. We're not talking about the catholic church?

Were talking about people wasting the ombudsman's time so they can wear a colander on their head.

Every one of us knows the problems and hypocrisy of the church.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Ah come on now. We're not talking about the catholic church?

Were talking about people wasting the ombudsman's time so they can wear a colander on their head.

So what makes the catholic church more "deserving" of respect than any other religion? If someone was told they couldn't wear a crucifix on their drivers licence there would be uproar right?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

So what makes the catholic church more "deserving" of respect than any other religion? If someone was told they couldn't wear a crucifix on their drivers licence there would be uproar right?

Nothing to do with respect, its to do with recognised religions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭stimpson

Where is this list of recognised religions?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭swampgas

Yes, wearing a colander on your head is silly, but the point you are missing is that the colander is being used (in a comic way perhaps) to illustrate a very serious point: that the followers of some religions are allowed to ignore some very important laws that the rest of us have to follow.

RCC controlled schools do not have to follow normal rules when it comes to discriminating against applicants for jobs, they can discriminate against applicants that might not be Catholic, or not be considered good enough Catholics, and this is currently perfectly legal.

This is not really about driving licenses, this is about religious discrimination being embedded in our constitution and laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

Recognised by whom? Does a religion only become worthy of being a religion when the wizards recognise it?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

swampgas wrote: »
    [...] might give them advance notice [...]
    Hardly matters -- the course of action from here is straight-forward enough and I don't think it matters whether they know about it ahead of time. They've been informed about it as well, so I don't see any immediate issue, tonfoilhat or otherwise.

In fact, assuming the good faith of all concerned, I'd have thought that knowing about, say, a previous successful campaign against religious prejudice might encourage the good folks at the RSA just to stop being silly about it and just approve the license and be done with it, rather than make an issue of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

You're still skirting around the logical conclusion. Come on, you've almost got it! I believe in you!

• Advertisement

Look I don't want to drag this off topic because this tread had nothing to do with the catholic church.

Lets put it like this. I'm an Atheist. I don't believe in a God. In my eyes a Pastafarian can longer call themselves an atheist.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Look I don't want to drag this off topic because this tread had nothing to do with the catholic church.

Lets put it like this. I'm an Atheist. I don't believe in a God. In my eyes a Pastafarian can longer call themselves an atheist.

Why?

Genuine question.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

swampgas wrote: »
    [...] a colander on your head is silly [...]
    I submit that a colander isn't any more silly than this old forum favourite:

282035.jpg

Are these fine chaps allowed to wear their silly headgear for their driving license photos? I'll bet they are.

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Why?

Genuine question.

Why not? If they're going to make statements and follow the holidays of a parody religion I'm going to make statements of my own.

So should a Sikh be allowed wear a turban on his DL? Should a jew be allowed wear a yarmulke?

robindch wrote: »

282035.jpg

Are these fine chaps allowed to wear their silly headgear for their driving license photos? I'll bet they are.

All those hats are just as silly as a colander

So should a Sikh be allowed wear a turban on his DL? Should a jew be allowed wear a yarmulke?

In my views no. But I'm just one man and those are hundreds and thousands of years old and are well entrenched in governments.

In my views no. But I'm just one man any those are hundreds and thousands of years old.

So a religion is only a religion if it is

(A) More than X amount of years old.

(B) Has X amount of followers.

(C) Has a book written about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

robindch wrote: »

Aww I was expecting that to be the man in a condom inside the plane. Forum favs just ain't what they used to be.

o-ORTHODOX-JEW-IN-A-BAG-570.jpg?6

Why not? If they're going to make statements and follow the holidays of a parody religion I'm going to make statements of my own.

Well, seeing as this is a discussion forum I thought you may be interested in having a discussion...my mistake.

You carry on with posting statements then and refusing to discuss them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

In my views no. But I'm just one man and those are hundreds and thousands of years old and are well entrenched in governments.

Not in Ireland they're not,
    Its a relatively new thing to Ireland

Jernal wrote: »
    Aww I was expecting that to be the man in a condom inside the plane. Forum favs just ain't what they used to be.

o-ORTHODOX-JEW-IN-A-BAG-570.jpg?6

Like to see him drive a motorbike in that get up.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Yet
    - Mormons faith isn't old (created 1820's)
    - Scientology def isn't old (created 1954)

Be curious what people think the cut off point is,

Rather i'd say to you, prove to me FSM is a religion.

Is it just a religion because Atheists use it to parody creationism?

If I decided tomorrow that I followed the Mighty Fork of Dinnerism would you all be so happy to admit it as a religion?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,579 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

If I decided tomorrow that I followed the Mighty Fork of Dinnerism would you all be so happy to admit it as a religion?

Absolutely. Religion is a personal choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

It would be just as plausible as any other Religion, in my eyes.

Issue shouldn't be that this new Religion might get the same rights as the older, more traditional Religion. Issue is that there shouldn't be special rights full stop.

Dinnerism still holds as equal a claim to being a Religion as any other.

Prove to me Mormonism is a religion? (you've read how it was founded right?)
    Religion is an organized collection of beliefs, cultural systems, and world views that relate humanity to an order of existence.

FSM fits this perfectly, same as any faith.
    The CSO shows that there under 1,500 Mormons in Ireland as of 2011 data, there are likely far more Pastafarians then this in Ireland.

If you want to found a faith called Mighty Fork of Dinnerism and it gets you through life then more power to you, my issue begins when you try to force that faith on others through our education system, health system or laws.

Until then you should be treated equal to all other faiths, so if that includes headwear that doesn't cover the face in public then go right ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Can you prove that Mormonism or Christianity are religions? I don't think so. Religion is very subjective. Yep that if you believe that Migthy Fork is a religion then really that's all that matters.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

As Cabaal mentioned above, Mormons, Scientology.
    Has X amount of followers.

The FSM has many followers world wide.
    Has a book written about it.

And has a book. With pictures and stuff!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭stimpson

I'd be happy to admit it as a religion, but I believe the only true Fork is the Lunch Fork.

Advertisement