Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Art or ag science

• 30-08-2013 5:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

So im repeating this year and need to take on another subject for my 6, I did art in 5th year but im not an A1 student in terms of the actual drawing. would i be better off taking up ag?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

I'd say yeah. Art is an absolutely fantastic subject but as an exam subject you just don't know how its gonna be market. Almost 60% is practical and the marking can be open to interpretation by what the examiner sees in it. You could see A1 and the examiner could see C3. And another examiner could see a B2. I'd say go for Ag because it'd be easier and more straight forward for gaining more marks. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

It really depends on what kind of person you are (have you an actual interest in agriculture/horticulture?) and both subject departments in your school i.e. are there any weaknesses/poor teachers? With art, the main advantage is that you are already that bit ahead and know exactly you're going to face. Unless you have a very good teacher, I think it is very hard to scrape an A. Ag science would appear to be an easier subject but there aren't that many A's there either. Don't forget that you will also need to undertake a project. Best of luck anyways!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oncex

d1234 wrote: »
    It really depends on what kind of person you are (have you an actual interest in agriculture/horticulture?) and both subject departments in your school i.e. are there any weaknesses/poor teachers? With art, the main advantage is that you are already that bit ahead and know exactly you're going to face. Unless you have a very good teacher, I think it is very hard to scrape an A. Ag science would appear to be an easier subject but there aren't that many A's there either. Don't forget that you will also need to undertake a project. Best of luck anyways!

Art is in school and the teacher is amazing. I got an A in my Junior Cert if thats any indication. I'd probably do very well in the art history but I just know I'm a B artist. I have no interest in farming, like 0. Plus its after school and a lot of people didn't do very well in the LC with the ag teacher. I really don't know, maybe I should take on 2?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

You could try two up until Christmas and if you were struggling you could drop one!

If you feel strongly about art go for it - despite only getting a C1 this year I've taken it up again and I'm determined for my A1 this year!
    If you know your art history inside out and can get an A in the paper that's 37% for you! So really you'd only need another 35-40% out of the 60% for the craft to get a really good grade!
    If its the craft side you're worried about buy a small A5 sketch pad and allocate some of your study time to sketching, especially of faces and if you're doing still life that. Not only will you improve your skill but you'll also get faster which is absolutely crucial!
    And find a craft that suits you. Whether its calligraphy or lino cutting make sure you're 100% completely comfortable with it before the practical.

Best of luck with whichever you choose! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

oncex wrote: »
    Art is in school and the teacher is amazing. I got an A in my Junior Cert if thats any indication. I'd probably do very well in the art history but I just know I'm a B artist. I have no interest in farming, like 0. Plus its after school and a lot of people didn't do very well in the LC with the ag teacher. I really don't know, maybe I should take on 2?

Do Art.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

Do ag-I got a B3 where it shouldve been an A or B1-depends on the teacher marking as opposed to a real scheme-the only reason Im not rechecking it cause they were overly generous in my History paper and that will come down whilst the drawing may or may not go up.

In ag-if you know your stuff youll get a high mark not be appreciated at a high or low level

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

oncex wrote: »
    I have no interest in farming, like 0.
    If you have no interest in Ag, you could work hard and do well, but you are going to have to work really hard at it compared to the people who are interested in it and /or are from a farming background to get a top mark. The time you have to devote to Ag in its turn is going to impact on your marks in other subjects.

I'd be slow to tell someone what they should do in terms of subjects, but while Ag can be a good option for a lot of people, I'm really not convinced it's the best choice for you.

Advertisement