Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tipping and how much?

Options
  • 30-08-2013 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭

Hi all. I have had a few take away deliveries lately. I am kind of new to it so I'm a bit of a virginatarian (did I just invent a word?) I lived in Thailand for 8 years where tipping is a big part of culture especially in restaurants and definitely if it is the pizza delivery guy that works for 20 cent per hour and he'll smile broadly.

Anyway I ordered first time a few weeks back and the delivery guy almost threw my food at me as he was in a hurry so I don't think I could have tipped him unless I was Usain Bolt. However last time this Chinese chap delivered my order and I had loose change, placed it in his hand and it might have been about €1 but he looked at it and looked at me like I had just had a sexual experience with his mother and I wasn't sure if he was offended.

So my question is who do you tip and typically how much?

Grassy ass!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Not really but if the bill isn't an round euro number I usually leave the loose change with the driver depending on what notes I've given him

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Do not tip.
    Ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

I once gave a tip of €76 to my beer delivery guy on christmas eve (some hangover i had) so i reckon if it's not christmas, give a tip of at least €2 sure it's worth it to not have to go anywhere especially in winter and you get the food cooked for you and delivered to your home.

The same with the beer but chilled. Well worth it if you can spare it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,077 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Hi all. I have had a few take away deliveries lately. I am kind of new to it so I'm a bit of a virginatarian (did I just invent a word?) I lived in Thailand for 8 years where tipping is a big part of culture especially in restaurants and definitely if it is the pizza delivery guy that works for 20 cent per hour and he'll smile broadly.

Anyway I ordered first time a few weeks back and the delivery guy almost threw my food at me as he was in a hurry so I don't think I could have tipped him unless I was Usain Bolt. However last time this Chinese chap delivered my order and I had loose change, placed it in his hand and it might have been about €1 but he looked at it and looked at me like I had just had a sexual experience with his mother and I wasn't sure if he was offended.

So my question is who do you tip and typically how much?

Grassy ass!

Tipping is not a big part of Thai culture. In fact a thai would rarely tip another thai. Westerners do tip out there though. Usually 20 baht for a drink or a 100 baht for a meal.

With regards to delivery people in Ireland, delivery charge is usually included for Chinese delivery. For the likes of Dominos and 4star the pizzas are so expensive, I think tipping is unnecessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

joeguevara wrote: »
    Tipping is not a big part of Thai culture. In fact a thai would rarely tip another thai. Westerners do tip out there though. Usually 20 baht for a drink or a 100 baht for a meal.

With regards to delivery people in Ireland, delivery charge is usually included for Chinese delivery. For the likes of Dominos and 4star the pizzas are so expensive, I think tipping is unnecessary.

I have to agree with this. This is the only one i wouldn't tip because of the above comment, as expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Paddy Fields

Tipping is not a big part of Thai culture. In fact a thai would rarely tip another thai. <snip>

I beg to differ. Maybe depends on where you are. I have dined with Thai people and they will tip another Thai. If they feel they have been served well by one person the tip is placed in that person's hand and it can be quite decent. If it is by all the staff then it goes on the tray "to the house."

That's fair enough, thanks. I think I ordered Dominos once and didn't tip as it was too bloody expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭camel jockey

I never do take away deliveries. Much easier to drive down, place the order, wait and pick it up. It means the food isn't sitting there getting cold as the driver waits for a bunch of orders or drives between deliveries.

Ha ha but sometimes we are drunk and maybe want to watch a match so driving is not an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

One reason pizzas are so dear is that the "free" delivery is bundled into the price, you will see lots of pizza places with "walk in discounts", i.e. that discount is the delivery cost you otherwise pay.

I expect the big boy pizza places are more likely to be above board and be paying at least min wages. I know guys who worked for chinese places and were not paid min wage, the idea is people are willing to work this and take the risk that they get it back from tips.

In the US some jobs can be paid below min wage due to high tip rates, but I was reading that something was brought in recently in some places so if they did fall short then the business has to bring the wages up to normal min levels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Delivery guy today didn't have a tenner for change: no tip for you sonny Jim.

Are they not supposed to have the relevant change to hand? What would have happened if I only had a 20?

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

Delivery guy today didn't have a tenner for change: no tip for you sonny Jim.

Are they not supposed to have the relevant change to hand? What would have happened if I only had a 20?
    There is no requirement for anyone to give you change in law, its just a common courtesy that everyone follows.

Most delivery drivers are technically self employed sub contractors so minimum wage laws don't apply. usually on a very small hourly rate (around 4 euro) and then something per delivery, I think with apache it's 1.75 so probably round the same for the other pizza chains

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

I tip enough that if I ever use the same take away again they might not spit on my food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

I'd usually round it up to the next euro or next couple of euro (like if it was 8.50 I'd tell them to keep the tenner)

Many of the new Thai places charge 3.50+ for delivery though. That combined with the eat-city etc meaning you'll have paid by card while ordering, leaves the drivers without a tip from me a lot of the time.

Advertisement