Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barcodes Question

Options
  • 30-08-2013 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm on the verge of launching a new product to be sold online. I'm just finalising up my packaging & I'm wondering about barcodes.

I'm hoping to het a meeting with a US based (target market) bricks & mortar distributor in the next few weeks so I'm sure they'll want one.

For now my product is going to be on trial online with 1,000 units in 3 varieties.

I was looking at GS1 who appear to be the "Official" registry, but they're looking at €760 for the privilege of joining & I don't have that.

However, What's stopping me making up my own or just taking a couple of (for example) Irish based food product barcodes, as my product is most probably not going to be sold in Ireland & isn't food based ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭djk1000

$85 for one barcode number €150 for three at http://buyabarcode.com/

You'll need one for each variation. If your product takes off and you have more variations, it will make more sense to use GS1. Barcodes have to be unique worldwide, particularly these days with scanners on smart phones.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭OU812

Thanks for the answer. I've found them as low as $7 on barcodestalk.com So I'm going to pick up a few there (as this is a trial) & if successful will go the GS1 route as you need a certificate from GS1 to be listed by walmart.

I can't see any information about registering them anywhere apart from GS1 though so I guess there's a few duplications somewhere in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

I'm only paying about €200 P/A to GS1.
    Ill give you a barcode for free cause Ill never have anything close to 999 SKU.

PM me and Ill generate one if you want.

Thanks for the very generous offer Voltex !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

not sure if it still applies, but products in the USA used to have a different barcode system to europe - check it out just to be sure.

• Advertisement

^ This is true, they use 12 digits, we use 13 (although 12 are acceptable). Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

Hi OU812,

I'm curious as to how you're getting on with the barcodes? Is barcodestalk.com reliable do you know?

thanks

Hi,

Yes, I ordered off barcodestalk - 5 for $21 delivered electronically. Had no hassle with them.

As it happens, just got a coupon code in for them - bct10percent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

that's a great find...thanks a mill..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭turbo

any more coupons! ?

Advertisement