Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Broadband slow ( compared to neighbour )

• 30-08-2013 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

So I'm on Eircom's 8mb dsl broadband
    I live about 4Km from the exchange
    My average speed is about
    1.9mbs down and .21 up

so I complain about the speed but I had just accepted it by now

Then the other day I was at my neighbors and I did a speed test and she's getting around 4.2mbs down
    So now I'm annoyed I know DSL drops off over distance but she's only living 100-150m away from me
    My other friend lives about 1km farther away and they get the same as me.
    So whats going on here.
    I know my router the old silver ones are capped at about 2mb and she has the newer black single antenna one so could that be it.

what do ye think could she be connected to a different thing in the exchange or the router?

Any point ringing Eircom complaining ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

1st thing to do is log into the modem and have a look at the DSL stats, it will show what the modem is synced at, then go to the expert mode > statistics > DSL, this will show all the DSL stats, from there we can see the SNR which will determine if the line can handle more speed or not. if there is more than 7db on the SNR you can get the speeds changed up.

more than likely the area was upgraded and you didn't know and didn't have the speeds changed and your neighbour got the broadband after the upgrade and got the faster speed.

those grey netopias don't cap at 2mb, some can handle up to 7mb and then the others can go to 24mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 sepd123

Downstream Upstream/
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 2048 256

SN Margin (dB) 10.50 20.00

Line Attenuation (dB) 46.00 27.50

CRC Errors 1717 11

So my SN Margin is 10.50 so should I be able to get a speed upgrade?

That max speed thing is the cap I was on about

Oh and yes they Only got broadband a few months ago
    We've had it for nearly 5 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

you might be able to push another 2mb out of the connection, was hoping that the SNR would be abit better for you, from the attenuation the line might be able for about 6mb, but with the SNR being on the low side i would say 4mb is what it might comfortably take. Tech support is open till 22:00, so give them a ring and see if they can bump it up abit.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

This is always worth a read:

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats.htm

Also what is your internal wiring like? Any extensions etc etc?

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies
    I'll give them a ring tomorrow hopefully they can help me out any bump in speed would be nice I have a family of 9 so it really gets bogged down when people are on it.

That was a good read
    To be honest its a bit of a mess the line goes into the attic to a phone socket and from there it goes to a box where it is sent to all the rooms but they are just stripped and twisted to join them together so far from ideal
    but I'll try plugging it into the socket that comes directly off the line tomorrow see if it helps

thanks for the replies I'll let ye know how I get on
    Cheers

Advertisement