Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chemistry Experiment Book

• 30-08-2013 5:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm new to the chemistry course. Just wanted to learn a little bit more about these report books. Firstly, when exactly are they due for? Is it similar to the junior cert whereby everything must be rewrote by the student themselves? Also, how much attention to detail is needed e.g. having each diagram 'perfect' or would the normal standard do?

Many thanks in advance,

D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭gabsy

Hey!there are no report books as such and you get no marks for them as far as I know. Your experiments will be tested on the paper especially q 1 2 3 ! I keep an experiment book but that's just to make it easier for me to keep them all together !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

You do get a book with your textbook to fill out all your experiments in (ours is white, other publishers might have different colours). You get no marks for it but you either can't sit the exam or won't be marked (forget which) unless it's filled out. As for diagrams, as long as they're labelled and somewhat legibly you're going to be fine. It's not an art class :P

Daniel2590 wrote: »
    You do get a book with your textbook to fill out all your experiments in (ours is white, other publishers might have different colours). You get no marks for it but you either can't sit the exam or won't be marked (forget which) unless it's filled out. As for diagrams, as long as they're labelled and somewhat legibly you're going to be fine. It's not an art class :P
    that's really strange I have the chemistry live book and no report book comes with it , we just use a copy ! It's up to you to write these experiments out however you want . There is no rule that you can't sit the exam if you don't have it done or get marked and that's for sure .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Daniel2590 wrote: »
    You get no marks for it but you either can't sit the exam or won't be marked (forget which) unless it's filled out.

Not true, in fact it is pretty unlikely that your books will be inspected at all.

However, if you do manage to get inspected and you dont have it done, there might be trouble, but even then I doubt you'll actually be stopped sitting the exam tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 chemanalysis

gabsy wrote: »
    that's really strange I have the chemistry live book and no report book comes with it , we just use a copy ! It's up to you to write these experiments out however you want . There is no rule that you can't sit the exam if you don't have it done or get marked and that's for sure .

You must buy the experiment book separately they cost around 12 euros. You don't need an actual experiment book thought any hard back A4 sized copy will do. In theory all leaving cert students must carry out and write up practicals (except those involving sodium dichromate). You don't get marked for them, that gets examined on Q1, 2 and 3 of the exam paper. However you are not in theory allowed to sit the exam without doing them. In practice it is never acted upon. If you get a subject inspection your books will be inspected. You will be given 2 weeks notice of an inspection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

Fad wrote: »
    Not true, in fact it is pretty unlikely that your books will be inspected at all.

However, if you do manage to get inspected and you dont have it done, there might be trouble, but even then I doubt you'll actually be stopped sitting the exam tbh.

Yeah I forgot to mention it's only if your school is picked for inspection. Our teacher did tell us though that if your book isn't filled out and it gets inspected your exam won't be marked or something to that effect :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

Thanks everyone for all your responses. I was really freaked out when I heard about this as our teacher was very ott with our lab books for the jun. cert. I'll get one and start now!

You must buy the experiment book separately they cost around 12 euros. You don't need an actual experiment book thought any hard back A4 sized copy will do. In theory all leaving cert students must carry out and write up practicals (except those involving sodium dichromate). You don't get marked for them, that gets examined on Q1, 2 and 3 of the exam paper. However you are not in theory allowed to sit the exam without doing them. In practice it is never acted upon. If you get a subject inspection your books will be inspected. You will be given 2 weeks notice of an inspection.
    Yes that's exactly what I was trying to say but I just couldn't gather all the facts ! I think the best idea is just to get an a4 hard back and write them all out even tho we have a proper book for biology and I hate it ! :)

Advertisement