Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

adware adding links and notifications

• 30-08-2013 6:08pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭

In the last couple of days a bunch of stupid shortcuts have started appearing on my home screen linking to all sorts of spyware nonsense. Similar things keep showing up in my notification area. I'm not sure if it's because I installed a new game (Blitz Brigade, since removed) or because AdFree no longer seems to work (when I run it it tells me the version is too old).

I ran an AntiVirus/Adware scan (Secore app) and removed a few other apps it found aggressive but still the crap keeps appearing.

What can I do to get rid of this crap? Is there a working version of AdFree or similar that I can use? I know a lot of these were removed from the Play store but surely Google doesn't sanction this kind of **** installing itself?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

Latest version of adfree is here.
    You can use something like Airpush Detector to find out which apps are spamming your notification area (or just press and hold on the notification if you're on Jelly Bean).

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Seems I have lost root on my device. I still have SU and older apps pre-JB work but anything I've installed after updating to JellyBean can't get root

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

All adfree and adaway are gone from Play, since some months....

Personally, I use Adaway, from F-Droid, here for App....

https://f-droid.org/
    The F-Droid Repository is an easily-installable catalogue of FOSS (Free and Open Source Software) applications for the Android platform. The server contains the details of multiple versions of each application, and the Android client makes it easy to browse, install them onto your device, and keep track of updates.

I think Adaway was considered better than Adfree, and you can regularly update with the f-droid app on your phone...

as for root, what phone, how was it rooted originally??

new firmware installed by ODIN, can unroot Samsungs...I think??

Advertisement