Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inexpensive neutral/slightly supportive shoe

Options
  • 30-08-2013 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to identify a fairly cheap pair of runners that are neutral or slightly supportive for an overpronator. They need to be reasonably well cushioned and I don't care how heavy they are.

I have a pair of Mizuno Inspire 9 which are good for racing for me but lacking a little bit of cushioning for the ploddier runs. I've also got a pair of Asics trounce which felt very comfy in the shop but gave me the first blister I've had in about 6 years. I had a pair of New Balance beforehand. I can't remember the exact model but think that it might have been 670. When I bought them I asked for neutral.

I've been to the two running shops in my locality both of whom say they offer gait analysis but don't actually and another one a lot further away that did and gave me the Mizuno.

Gait analysis does show me as an overpronator but I prefer to err on the side of letting my foot move than stopping it moving completely.

Anyone got any suggestions? I really do need cheap because after the Mizuno and the Asics I've already gone well over my running budget.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I just stocked up on 2 pairs of Brooks ST5's from sportsshoes.com today, €94 delivered via Parcel Motel, or €101 delivered directly to Ireland for the 2 pairs.
    They are a nice compromise of a light shoe, with a bit of support - my go to Marathon shoe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

5% off too if you use this promo code: VCUK508

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm afraid that the Brooks are a little too lightweight for what I'm looking for but I did end up getting something from sportsshoes. Sadly the discount voucher didn't work. Fingers crossed now that the runners work for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Reading you post I would have guessed either Saucony guide or Brooks Ravenna would have ticked the boxes nicely. If you picked up an old season shoe in an off size you could get them cheaply enough.

What did you go with?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Reading you post I would have guessed either Saucony guide or Brooks Ravenna would have ticked the boxes nicely. If you picked up an old season shoe in an off size you could get them cheaply enough.

What did you go with?

The Brooks one looks like a good steer. I'll keep that in mind for next time. I went with cheap and neutral possibly with too much cushioning in the Mizuno Crusader 6. I'll be back in Bray for the time of the Dublin marathon (although the odds on me actually taking part have been lengthening these past couple of weeks) and will drop into Amphibian King then to see what I can pick up. It was Damien who steered me in the direction of Dave Kingston for orthotics which finally got me running semi-consistently and up until I got injured nearly two years ago I used to wait until I was back to get new shoes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement