Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shamrock

Options
  • 30-08-2013 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

I have a question about the shamrock.
    Normally in German we say the shamrock with 4 leafs is a mojo.
    But the typical Irish shamrock is known only with 3 leafs and that´s the emblem for Ireland.

Is it false to use a 4 leaf shamrock to present an Irish idea?

The 3 leaf shamrock is also used by the Aryan Brotherhood in the USA.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Whats the Irish Idea?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Damn Nazis. I think most people would see a four leafed shamrock and think of luck over Irish-ness though.

Angron wrote: »
    Damn Nazis. I think most people would see a four leafed shamrock and think of luck over Irish-ness though.

Also, you're German or Irish and not in the us, so who cares if the AB use it? Sher look and Sarannewrap, she's a russian thief ya know?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Yup, that's pretty true, certainly here I don't know of anyone that'd think of the Aryans when they'd see a shamrock.

Honestly, I didn't even know they used the shamrock at all until recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Zurn

I am German, sorry for bad English. ;)

To explain myself... in future I want to tattoo a shamrock under my elbow.
    In the four leafes I want to put the letters È I R E.
    That´s to show my love to Ireland and Irish people.
    Call me mad, weird, insane whatever....maybe I´m a reborn Irish...but so long I could think backward... I´m interested in Irish country, culture, people, music etc. But I ever defered it to care about. I was busy with other things. frown.gif

But if the most Irish people say that it´s better to use a 3 leaf...I`ll take this.
    I don´t want to make a mistake with this. Every Irish should recognize it.

You know what I mean? I don´t want to connected with f*cking Nazis, because I wear a shamrock.
    It´s a social problem, that some emblems were used by nazis and some people don´t know that they were used many times before the f*cking 3. Reich.

• Advertisement

Most people into tattoos know what the swastika was originally used for, also

So...that think British or Irish people about Germans.....? :D

I've never once heard of the shamrock being associated with the Aryan nation. Unless you're American or meet someone associated with that particular nation, then people will likely just assume it's an Irish symbol.
    Arawn wrote: »
    Most people into tattoos know what the swastika was originally used for, also

I would assume most people knew what the swastika actually mean too, but since it has such powerful associations, then even the correct use of the swastika and not the bastardization the Nazis did to it, would give off certain connotations of despicable people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

I've never once heard of the shamrock being associated with the Aryan nation. Unless you're American or meet someone associated with that particular nation, then people will likely just assume it's an Irish symbol.

Hellrazer mentioned it recently, I'll see if the threads around.

No source on the shamrock stuff but that tattoo meaning site is pretty cool.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=86017243&postcount=5

Also just to put it out there but a shamrock does not have four leaves. Now granted it's very unlikely anyone would call you out for having 4 leafed clover and calling it a shamrock but it's not one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Shamrock and clover are the same plant (although the shamrock is 'young' clover I think). A four leaf clover is meant to bring good luck and a shamrock (with three leaves) is a symbol of Ireland. They are often confused and people think four leaf clovers are an Irish thing but they're not. Everyone has their own opinions but usually when people think that a four leaf clover is Irish it annoys me, I don't know why but it does. That said at the end of the day the tattoo is going on your body and you have to live with it, not me. I don't see why anyone outside of the US would see a shamrock tattoo and presume it's related to the Aryan brotherhood. If you got Eire under it I doubt anyone, in the US or not, would make the mistake. As I said though, it's your tattoo and you're the one who has to live with it, not me.

• Advertisement

Shamrock and clover are the same plant (although the shamrock is 'young' clover I think). A four leaf clover is meant to bring good luck and a shamrock (with three leaves) is a symbol of Ireland. They are often confused and people think four leaf clovers are an Irish thing but they're not. Everyone has their own opinions but usually when people think that a four leaf clover is Irish it annoys me, I don't know why but it does. That said at the end of the day the tattoo is going on your body and you have to live with it, not me. I don't see why anyone outside of the US would see a shamrock tattoo and presume it's related to the Aryan brotherhood. If you got Eire under it I doubt anyone, in the US or not, would make the mistake. As I said though, it's your tattoo and you're the one who has to live with it, not me.

Yeah, you´re right. I know that three leafs is because of the Holy Trinity. And that´s the Irish. I was a little bit confused...we in Germany say that a four leaf shamrock means "Good Luck". But I want to show my relation in mind to Ireland.
    Don´t worry about me, I have a few tats...and I always think about everyone of them before I let it do.

Here you can see the first step... :)

1275089_664196840271447_1721577244_o.jpg

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Orim wrote: »
    Hellrazer mentioned it recently, I'll see if the threads around.

No source on the shamrock stuff but that tattoo meaning site is pretty cool.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=86017243&postcount=5

Also just to put it out there but a shamrock does not have four leaves. Now granted it's very unlikely anyone would call you out for having 4 leafed clover and calling it a shamrock but it's not one.

http://www.corrections.com/tracy_barnhart/?p=500

Some good info here.
    Apparently the shamrock is a symbol of their supposedly Irish roots.About half way down the page.

Identifiers, Characteristics and Tattoos

Ø Nazi SS Sig Runes

Ø Swastika

Ø SS Lightning bolts

Ø The numbers “666”

Ø The numbers “88”, which represent the eighth letter of the alphabet. Together these numbers say “Heil Hitler”

Ø The number “14”. This shows respect to a White Supremacy Slogan “We must secure the existence of our race and the future for white children”.

Ø Letters “AB”

Ø Shamrock (as a symbol of their originally Irish membership)

Ø Nordic dagger on shield with lightning bolts

Ø A Falcon relating to Sinn Fein, the political wing of the Irish Republican Army

Ø Recently, new AB recruits have adopted Gaelic phrases and language, not so much motivated by codes, but by harking back to the old Celtic and Norse mythology, which is becoming more popular among newer members.

Ø They also use letters separated by happy faces combined with the strategic placement of exclamation points.

Seems they have a **** load of Irish symbols.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

. That said at the end of the day the tattoo is going on your body and you have to live with it, not me. I don't see why anyone outside of the US would see a shamrock tattoo and presume it's related to the Aryan brotherhood. If you got Eire under it I doubt anyone, in the US or not, would make the mistake. As I said though, it's your tattoo and you're the one who has to live with it, not me.

There are stories relating to AB members attacking Irish nationals in US prisons for having Shamrock tattoos.

So OP unless you have pland to end up in a Supermax Prison then you`ll be grand!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Op just get a harp done instead, thats the official emblem of ireland not a shamrock

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Whatever about the rest of the reasons there's something almost tragi-comic about the AB, a far right leaning group taking a symbol related to Sinn Fein a left leaning group as part of their symbolism.

P_1 wrote: »
    Whatever about the rest of the reasons there's something almost tragi-comic about the AB, a far right leaning group taking a symbol related to Sinn Fein a left leaning group as part of their symbolism.

Theyre all nuts those "neo Nazi" groups.

A few years back I remember an interview with someone talking to a UK Neo Nazi member and he was giving out about hating Germans and then the interviewer pointed out that this particular German bloke was a member of the same neo Nazi group as the other lad although a member in the German branch.

So neo Nazis hate each other even if they are members of the same club/group etc.

A bit mad really.

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Theyre all nuts those "neo Nazi" groups.

A few years back I remember an interview with someone talking to a UK Neo Nazi member and he was giving out about hating Germans and then the interviewer pointed out that this particular German bloke was a member of the same neo Nazi group as the other lad although a member in the German branch.

So neo Nazis hate each other even if they are members of the same club/group etc.

A bit mad really.

Yeah, mad as a bunch of mad hatters they are. Although isn't nationality meant to supersede ideology according to their 'teachings', so I suppose the UK neo-nazi was technically correct according to his batshítcrazy political views.

I just find it hilarious they all idolize hitler who more than likely had jew blood in him somewhere

Arawn wrote: »
    I just find it hilarious they all idolize hitler who more than likely had jew blood in him somewhere

Sure some of those AB member supposedly have African ancestors.

• Advertisement

What's even crazier is the amount of neo-nazis in places like Poland, Ukraine and Russia considering what happened in those places during the Second World War. Although having said that it could be explained as an extreme anti-communist reaction in those places.

I think it's more of a natinalistic pride thing there tbh

Advertisement