Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parents have caved to doggie request from kids!!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Jazbee wrote: »
    We have a miniature schnauzer. She is our first dog and is lovely. Very little shedding hair. Seldom barks. She is good with the kids. So far she is quick to train eg house trained, sit, down...working on the others! Loves cuddles and lots of attention.
    On the grooming side you can do it yourself. We are going to buy a professional clippers, there's info on the net on how to do the proper cut. Got a friend to show us the first time.

Do take your time looking for a good breeder. We went to see about 4 'breeders' before we found our dog. There is english website, don't think I can mention it here, that you can be put on waiting lists for litters, they cost more but would be of a good standard. Google miniature schnauzer kc registeted, should come up 6th. Or contact IKC.

Good luck with your search :)

The proper cut for a Miniature Schnauzer is not to put a clippers near her. They are a hand stripped breed & there is no comparison between a properly stripped dog and one who has its coat shaved off.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Jazbee

Knine wrote: »
    The proper cut for a Miniature Schnauzer is not to put a clippers near her. They are a hand stripped breed & there is no comparison between a properly stripped dog and one who has its coat shaved off.

I'm sure the ones that are properly done look amazing. But my dog looks pretty cute too and doesnt have her coat shaved off. As a family pet and not a show dog I can't justify spending the money on very regular grooming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I'm sure the ones that are properly done look amazing. But my dog looks pretty cute too and doesnt have her coat shaved off. As a family pet and not a show dog I can't justify spending the money on very regular grooming.

I hand strip my own. It is not difficult to learn how to do it. However posting here saying the proper way to do it using a clippers is misleading to someone potentially getting the breed.

I'm sure your dog is cute.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Do take your time looking for a good breeder. We went to see about 4 'breeders' before we found our dog.

The Miniature Schnauzer seems to be gaining in popularity big time in the past year or two as a family dog, and with such popularity come puppy farmers, back-yard-breeders, and cowboys galore, cashing in on making a quick, easy buck.
    They are a super little dog, a real little all-rounder I think, but they have their fair share of breed-typical inherited health problems, and with the above cowboy breeding comes a proliferation of unhealthy dogs on the market.
    So, if this is a breed you're going for OP, take Jazbee's advice above about finding a good breeder. My understanding is that you'll find it hard to source a good one in the Republic, standing a better chance if you head north or to the UK. Be aware that the UK is not short of cowboy breeders either, but I think there are enough good breeders there to make it less of a risk, and a nice Assured Breeders Scheme going on with the KC to help you make a good choice, which the IKC don't have.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Jazbee

Knine wrote: »
    I hand strip my own. It is not difficult to learn how to do it. However posting here saying the proper way to do it using a clippers is misleading to someone potentially getting the breed.

I'm sure your dog is cute.

I didn't say it was the proper way, I said you can do it yourself. And as you hand strip your dog and you say it's not difficult to learn to do then my point still stands.

I was only letting the OP know a bit more about miniature schnauzers, that in my opinion they make a good family dog and that you shouldn't always let the cost of grooming a dog get in the way of looking into this lovely breed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

Do not buy a Miniature Schnauzer pup without seeing a genuine Eye Test cert. first
    or at least from both parents.
    If the breeder talks this down, then walk away.
    Plenty of good Schnauzer breeders in the south, but expect to be on a waiting list for the good ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭GatsbyGal

Hi. Agree the Schnauzer is a wonderful pet. My friend in the US had one and I've always said when I have my own home and settle that I will get one. Can anyone let me know where I can register to be put on a waiting list for them? Or is there any reputable breeders in Galway that I can go to get one? Many thanks.

GG

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

GatsbyGal wrote: »
    Hi. Agree the Schnauzer is a wonderful pet. My friend in the US had one and I've always said when I have my own home and settle that I will get one. Can anyone let me know where I can register to be put on a waiting list for them? Or is there any reputable breeders in Galway that I can go to get one? Many thanks.

GG

Hi GG,

If you're on Facebook you can join a group called Miniature Schnauzer Information Ireland:
    On there you can speak with and research possible breeders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Bring the 8 year old to one of the shelters first. Have a good walk around.

Sorry to say, but a dog isn't a toy or entertainment yokie for children. I'm not saying for one moment that you believe this, but honestly, we have a shocking amount of abandoned dogs in this country desperately needing a home, and it seems that so many people aren't really aware of the huge volume of dogs out there living out their long years abandoned in the overwhelmed shelters.

Perhaps you could consider this route. Many of these dogs too have been bought for the children and ended up being trotted over to a shelter (if they are lucky) as the families just can't cope and/or the novelty wore off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Hmm - emotional decision making with 3 small children ... Not what I'd advise.

You were saying you wanted an idea of the best " fit " for a dog your family . I don't recommend the breed selector feature in this ( it's insane & must have been programmed by a madman)

But -for names, pictures & overviews of the dogs it's pretty good . You might enjoy...

http://www.purina.com/dogs/dog-breeds/american-english-coonhound

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Yorkshire terrier, perfect around kids and are house dogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Yorkshire terrier, perfect around kids and are house dogs.

My neighbour has two - ones snarling & yapping goes on all day & into the night.
    My friend has two & has to warn every child she meets not to pet one of them -it's bit me twice -hence I don't have a great impression of them. : (
    Lucky you having a good one : )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

My neighbour has two - ones snarling & yapping goes on all day & into the night.
    My friend has two & has to warn every child she meets not to pet one of them -it's bit me twice -hence I don't have a great impression of them. : (
    Lucky you having a good one : )

Like every dog they are as good as they are trained.

If a dog is biting like that it hasn't been trained, and has been allowed get away with it.

As for the barking, same again, you can teach a dog to bark on command and not bark.

Yorkies are great little dogs especially for kids as they are content just been in a house and around people

Advertisement