Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've been put in the "low honours" class

• 30-08-2013 7:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

After getting an A in my JC, I admit I slacked a lot in TY and barely scraped a C in my summer exams. But I was ready to work hard this year, and I have started as I mean to go on.

But in English, I've been thrown into the "low honours" ie. the C's and D's of the year who won't study and just doss around. And we are going so slow!!! It's ridiculous really.

I've asked the high honours teacher, which I had all my junior cycle, about moving to his class but he said now it's full. And I know for a fact that there are guys that got C's in the JC are in his class (two of my friends for starters)

I think it's so stupid that I've neary been punished for slacking in TY and put into a class where we are going over capital letters and full stops in 5th year! And my teacher won't do anything about it!!!

Grrrrrrrr

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 390 ✭✭A97

That's awful TC. I'm in a high honours class now but all of my friends have been put into these mixed higher and ordinary level classes. The streaming method aids the people in the highest class, but hinders the rest. A lot of my friends are very clever, but they're now in a very mixed ability class, while at JC, the best Irish and Maths students did low honours or high honours depending on their skill at that particular subject, which is fairer. If you're good at two of the three, that's not good enough.

If I were you, I'd probably keep complaining until you can get in. It's not really fair that people who got lower JC grades than you are in a higher class. It's unlikely, but if somebody wants to drop, you might be able to take their place. The only potential issue is that changing mightn't be possible on your timetable. The other five classes in my school have English at the same time, but we have it at a different time. That probably isn't the case in your school, but if it is, you're likely out of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

After getting an A in my JC, I admit I slacked a lot in TY and barely scraped a C in my summer exams. But I was ready to work hard this year, and I have started as I mean to go on.

But in English, I've been thrown into the "low honours" ie. the C's and D's of the year who won't study and just doss around. And we are going so slow!!! It's ridiculous really.

I've asked the high honours teacher, which I had all my junior cycle, about moving to his class but he said now it's full. And I know for a fact that there are guys that got C's in the JC are in his class (two of my friends for starters)

I think it's so stupid that I've neary been punished for slacking in TY and put into a class where we are going over capital letters and full stops in 5th year! And my teacher won't do anything about it!!!

Grrrrrrrr

So you got a C in your summer exam and got put into the class for people who are likely to achieve C grades. I don't see the issue here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭if832uspx4eogt

Yeah, but I got a B at Christmas and an A in the actual Junior Cert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 390 ✭✭A97

To be fair, an A in JC HL English merits a spot in a top class in my humble opinion. I doubt that there will be 30 A's from my class. I mightn't even get one. I didn't do TY, and I probably wouldn't have slacked off to be fair, but it's not fair to judge somebody on the least academic school year of their life with regards to school subjects.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Maybe it's a lesson learned. Make sure to get your A or B in the next sets of house exams and then make your case to move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭jessiblah

I'd say to keep pushing at it without seeming pushy and annoying. If you get nowhere, maybe try to get your parents involved. A problem could arise if the other class are steaming ahead now and doing different course work to you though, as if you move in later you'll have missed out on what they did. I remember in my school with English, the other class did lots on MacBeth while we did the comparative and visa versa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Get your parents on the phone. In my old school a call or letter to the office was needed for changing classes.

Advertisement