Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long does it typically take to get deposit back?

Options
  • 30-08-2013 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi guys, in a bit of a situation and unsure how to act so would appreciate any input or advice. Ill try keep it short

Was renting a place for about 2 years. Lease ended last week and moved out (having told the estate agent of my intent to do so a few weeks earlier). Just wondering, how soon is he obliged to return the deposit? I ask as in becoming a bit nervous over the whole thing...

I have asked him about it or for a date i can expect it, but he never gives a straight answer, usually something like "ill try get the ball rolling on that, but dunno... I have to contact people to get it in motion, ill try do that at some point... A few days.." Etc. and when asked about it he becomes noticeably 'unfriendly' and dismissive in his tone and refuses to give any sort of time frame. Ive found a new place already and paid the deposit there, so cash is extremely tight now. On top of this, my former housemate doesn't want to return the keys of the property until we have the deposit or a date we'll have it back (and the estate agent doesn't have a set of his own so can't get in without them)

We're registered with the PRTB. So, how long after we leave should we have to wait for our deposit?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

While you hold the keys you still have access to the property so you may not be considered to have vacated the property. Get them to the agent asap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Was renting a place for about 2 years. Lease ended last week and moved out (having told the estate agent of my intent to do so a few weeks earlier). Just wondering, how soon is he obliged to return the deposit? I ask as in becoming a bit nervous over the whole thing...

When you say "lease ended last week"; was this the end of a second fixed term lease or did you just sign a lease for the first 12 months and then continued to live there (under your Part 4 rights) for another year without signing any new lease?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,328 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I wouldn't have vacated without an inspection and receipt of the deposit by cheque.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I think the tenancy act says something stupid like "a reasonable amount of time" to get the deposit back (wtf is that supposed to mean?) but in my mind reasonable in this case is no more than 2-3 days at the absolute most when you consider the majority of people rely on that money to allow them to move into their next place. No reason an inspection cant be carried out on the spot when moving out and its not that hard or time consuming to check that accounts have been squared off. Id give it a week and after that Id be camped in the agents office night and day looking for my money.

I agree though; give the keys back. It might seem like you are keeping leverage but in reality you have not moved out and could be persued for additional rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭the world wonders

I have asked him about it or for a date i can expect it,
    This is the wrong approach entirely, you are just asking to be messed around. Send him a request in writing for the return of your deposit by the end of next week and say that if you don't have it in your bank account by then you'll raise a case with the PRTB.

Also if he gives you any cheek tell him that you will register a formal complaint against him with the Property Services Regulator. (And if he's not registered with the PSR remind him that it's a criminal offence punishable by up to 5 years in jail to operate as a letting agent without being so registered.)

• Advertisement
Advertisement