Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Considering renting in townland around Mullingar- how safe?

Options
  • 30-08-2013 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at places to live around the Midlands and West and I've come across a lovely isolated cottage in the townland north of Mullingar (about 10k outside). I'm optimistic about this one but friends have been mentioning how they think it's an unsafe area with burglaries on the rise in the Midlands, and with Mullingar itself being less than safe too (especially since I could be travelling for odd weeks here and there for work).

I'd love to get some thoughts on this from any locals- would renting an isolated cottage in the region and leaving it vacant for short stretches of time be in any way a risk?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

I'm looking at places to live around the Midlands and West and I've come across a lovely isolated cottage in the townland north of Mullingar (about 10k outside). I'm optimistic about this one but friends have been mentioning how they think it's an unsafe area with burglaries on the rise in the Midlands, and with Mullingar itself being less than safe too (especially since I could be travelling for odd weeks here and there for work).

I'd love to get some thoughts on this from any locals- would renting an isolated cottage in the region and leaving it vacant for short stretches of time be in any way a risk?

I lived in multy for 26 years and now in Fore for 4 years and loved both of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

There seem to spates of robberies every few years. I'm lucky where I am as nothing much here in the last few years. Neighbours here are quite good at keeping an eye out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

I lived in multy for 26 years and now in Fore for 4 years and loved both of them

Off topic, but lovely area. I was there this afternoon for a quick walk around the ruins. Nice to see some young tourists there:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭ireland.man

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    Off topic, but lovely area. I was there this afternoon for a quick walk around the ruins. Nice to see some young tourists there:)

Have to agree, beautiful area and despite the (probably uninformed) opinions of some people I know, I can't wait to spend time in this area. Thanks for all the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Liquidchild

It's safer than most people think. Multy and Fore are lovely spots :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

Totally safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

No more dangerous than any where else!

Advertisement