Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USA Graduate Visa Question

Options
  • 30-08-2013 8:23pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 88 ✭✭

I've been looking into the USA Graduate Visa recently and, as I'm sure most of you are aware, the conditions outline that any employment undertaken must be directly related to your degree. I have a degree in Irish Law so I'm not sure if there's any point in even applying for the visa now as I'd imagine it would be very, very difficult for me to get any kind of Legal work in New York...

I'm not going to ask if there's any way around this as I'm sure it's against the forum rules but would love to hear from others that may have been in a similar position as myself but went on to do the year in the States anyway.

Any advice or guidance is appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭podgie.

it doesn't have to directly related to your degree per say, it's the subjects you have studied within your degree, if you find job at which you can use any of the subject within your degree you will be fine. one of my friends did computers science in college, one of her micky mouse subject in first year was admin, she spend the year being a admin assistant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

You would not be expected to practise law, but you could work in a legal firm as a secretary/ runner type, or do paperwork at Catholic Charities or a similar immigration help group for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ClaireyFairey1

AG918...im in the same position...i think we could perhaps look for work as paralegals! where did you study your degree...iv just finished and want to get back to the states before next summer but like yourself...work in the legal field is the problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭thehairyone

Have a cousin whos working in a bar with an IT type degree. The owner has a chain and just said my cousin was doing the IT for the company. Probably illegal but no problems so far. Obviously means finding an amenable employer, would probably help if that employer was irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Ewa24

Hi All,

I'm doing the graduate visa right now.
    I'm in San Francisco atm and have been looking for a job the last few days. I know for the graduate visa its meant to be an internship but is there any flexibility in regard to this? As in is there any chance I can apply for a regular job?

It's hard enough to find a job nevermind narrowing my options down to a paid internship. My course is pretty broad however. I studied Law, Politics, Sociology, Public Administration. Can anyone recommend any good websites to look on? I've tried Craigslist and Idealist, but again paid internships are not that common. Any help at all would be great. Thanks.

• Advertisement

it doesn't have to be a internship, as long the position / job is someway related to your degree and that you are gaining experience is all they care about. Most internships in America are for people still in college looking for extra credit for their final year, were as a "entry level" position is what you should be applying for, even "staff" positions that require little experience. Hope this makes helps you and best of luck, my job is a staff position and there was no problem with it.

Websites:
    Craiglist
    Monster
    Career Builder
    Indeed

That is great to know. Thank you so much Podgie.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭GavK

Hey, anybody in Chicago or thinking of heading that way ? I've been in Boston since July but looking to move on.

Hi Everyone,

So I'm currently in San Francisco doing the 12 month internship visa. I'm just wondering how strict is the 'vetting' process of the company. I know that CIEE have to approve of the company ('vetting') before I can start my job?

I found a job that applies to my course, but I need to start right away if I get the job. This does not allow me much time to give CIEE the DS-7002 form. Is it completely unquestionable to start the job without it being vetted?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as im in quite a pickle because this job could not be more appropriate for my course.

Hi Ewa24,

I'm in Boston at the minute and I found a job back in early August. It took CIEE exactly 4 weeks to approve mine. I'm not sure if this is the case for everyone. I didn't risk starting before the papers were approved but I understand your situation is different. If your that badly stuck I'd risk it if I were you and just try to get your boss to keep quiet that you haven't started yet. Duno how that would go down though. Hope this helped a bit!

• Advertisement

Hi GavK,

Ya, as bad as it sounds that may be the case :confused: its absolutely awful the way CIEE take so long to approve the job. Talk about hindering us job seekers, as if it wasn't hard enough. Have you heard of any other experiences with the vetting process? This company also would just be me and my boss. Which is even more reason for them to VET the company, i'm thinking..

So your telling me your the only employee in the company ? Not sure but I think CIEE can carry out site visits on Companies with less than 25 employees in the company, I doubt they would though. So when your submitting your papers a few lies here and there wouldn't hurt if you think your Boss wouldn't mind, you can fill the papers out yourself you know, and CIEE will just e-mail you boss about 3 weeks later to see if its okay for you to start.

I was a month in my job before my forms were sent off to be approved and there was no problem with it.

Has the company ever taking on a J1 graduate before.?

How did you swing that one Podgie ? Company just said nothing yeah ?

We filled the form out when I started but was so busy forgot to post it.

I'm basically a personal assistant for the boss, he's involved with public affairs so that's why it would just be me and him. I'm replacing the previous personal assistant. I don't think an intern with a visa has ever worked there before. Podgie how did u manage getting away with it for a month? Was the boss ok with it all or did u fill out the paper wrk ur self on the quiet? Also how did u get paid, as in can CIEE track ur wages through ur tax and find out u've started work? After all, CIEE are wiorking on behalf of the government.

What did you do in college EWA, unless your "learning" something related to your degree, there less likely to approve it, Since the company hasn't taking on J1 before, they may do a site visit to see if the company is suitable for the J1 program.

I dob't know, they have never contacted us about it. I rang them one day to get a "good standing letter" to go home for xmas and there was no problem getting it off them. The company I work for took two J1 grads on this year and two last year, My boss did the J1 program years ago and she sound, Company filled it out. paid by check and lodged it into my bank account. No only the government can track it. CIEE is a organization,

I don't know if they will approve your job, the company size and they haven't taking on a J1 before, They may class it as a labour job.

I did politics and public administration at college. So this job would be very relevant to my course but it is replacing an American citizen which I know isn't approved of but then again most jobs are replacing someone else? Could u tell me the company that hires grad students? May b worth looking in to. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4 christian1234

Hi All, sorry I know this was a year ago, I'm going in a few weeks so wanted to ask Podgie and GavK a question (or anyone else who can give advice). Can you defo fill out the form yourself? Did CIEE not ring your company and check with the person who filled it out? And did you ever have a problem working a staff/entry level posiiton podgie/anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Lough2015

Hi! Just wondering how you all found your jobs? When you are out there did you look online or go into places?

• Advertisement

Apply for all jobs online. As podgie said the best websites are:

Craiglist
    Monster
    Career Builder
    Indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

I just applied for jobs online myself, no agency or anything. I went with IIIC and nothing was checked in either of my jobs, the first one or the one I'm currently in now by means of phone call/email etc. Not sure how it is with CIEE but unless I need something from them I'm never bothered by IIIC for additional info on anything its great

• Registered Users Posts: 4 christian1234

Did you fill out the sheet each time and send it in? And did it say intern/trainee for your position or did you put the real position in? They're moving to an electronic form now apparently (filling it out online), so it could well be a lot harder to get away with now is the only thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭raher1

how are they for graphic design/web development jobs Podgie ?

Advertisement